Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Sandwiches?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
For one brief shining moment this spring, the bakery next door to the theatre was selling Monte Cristos, and I was in there every day my budget would permit. And then one day they were gone -- I pleaded for an explanation and they basically told me I was the only one eating them. Drat the laws of economics, anyway.

carter

I'll Lock Up
For one brief shining moment this spring, the bakery next door to the theatre was selling Monte Cristos, and I was in there every day my budget would permit. And then one day they were gone -- I pleaded for an explanation and they basically told me I was the only one eating them. Drat the laws of economics, anyway.

Ask them about peanut butter and mayo. Maybe it'll shock them into reviving the Monte Cristo. :D

carter

I'll Lock Up
baguette, basil, balsamic vinegar, goat cheese, sun dried tomatoes. Sliced green onions. optional dry salami.

Doran, I'll have one. Please hold the onions and may I substitute lebanon balogna? mmmmmm........

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What is lebanon balogna please? I trust it bears no similarity to Oscar Meyer "baloney" which is the vile precut smelly sweaty pink fake stuff.

Forgive the Wikipedia reliance, but:

"Lebanon bologna is a type of semi-dry sausage similar in appearance and texture to salami, although it is somewhat darker colored. Made from salted beef, it has a distinctive smoky taste, owing to the smoking process by which it is cured. It is additionally aged for at least 10 days, which generally overlaps with the smoking. Originating with the Pennsylvania Dutch, it is commonly available in south-central Pennsylvania, where it is often served as a luncheon meat. It was probably named for the Lebanon Valley of Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, wherein it is commonly produced."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanon_bologna

Carter, I'll have to check next time I'm in there. I know they consider American-made Schaller & Weber up to their standards, but I think my usual comes over from the Old Country...

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks DB.

That durned wikipedia ... every single thing you can imagine.

Almost.

I'll look for some lebanon balogna in "Cali."

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:

"Lebanon bologna is a type of semi-dry sausage similar in appearance and texture to salami, although it is somewhat darker colored. Made from salted beef, it has a distinctive smoky taste, owing to the smoking process by which it is cured. It is additionally aged for at least 10 days, which generally overlaps with the smoking. Originating with the Pennsylvania Dutch, it is commonly available in south-central Pennsylvania, where it is often served as a luncheon meat. It was probably named for the Lebanon Valley of Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, wherein it is commonly produced."

Carter, I'll have to check next time I'm in there. I know they consider American-made Schaller & Weber up to their standards, but I think my usual comes over from the Old Country...

They sell it at DiLaurenti's at Pike Place Market. Well worth the trip down there. Extra yummy on dark rye with Jarlsberg cheese. Mmmmm.

green papaya

One Too Many
roast beef on a french roll

BBQ tri tip on a french roll

pastrami on a french roll

corned beef on a french roll

Philly cheese steak

Vietnamese sandwich with grilled pork on a french roll

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally Posted by Diamondback

DB, It never occured to me to look this up. Verrry interesting. I was pretty certain it wasn't made in Lebanon (the nation) but did not know the origin. I'd love to sample some from the source but VA is the closest I'll be this year.

Originally posted by Babydoll
They sell it at DiLaurenti's at Pike Place Market. Well worth the trip down there. Extra yummy on dark rye with Jarlsberg cheese. Mmmmm.

BD, Sounds delicious! Cream Soda anyone? BTW, anyone here ever had an egg creme? Or been to Lou and Hy's in Akron, OH? Now there's a DELI.

Originally posted by Doran
I'll look for some lebanon balogna in "Cali."

D, If you don't find it at a grocery, try a good butcher shop.

I can't find it in grocery in Dallas anymore but Kuby's, a high-end meat purveyor on Snyder Plaza in University Park carries it. They also carry landjager which are thin sausages all linked together (because they're packed in.....). These are great for travelling or backpacking, etc.

Let's post some photos if anyone has some.

Do we need to start yet another thread in homage to Lebanon Balogna? Naaaa.....:)

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
I mighta mentioned more, but to pinpoint someplace I frequent places the obscurity of my "secured location" at risk...

Humor me, I'm paranoid.:D lol

Think some of the base commissaries have Lebanon bologna, too...

I've also seen it at the cheesemonger's shop in Leavenworth. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles