Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Five Favorite Woody Allen Movies--and Why

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Subject to change, but this is how it stands currently:

1. Hannah and Her Sisters--A happy ending for a change and the best ensemble cast Woody ever put together. I particularly liked Max Von Sydow's societal rant; my wife once feared that I'd become like that...

2. Love & Death- Allen's "Bob Hope" movie with a brisk pace and numerous quotable one liners. Love the use of Prokofiev music, too. Woody originally wanted to use Stravinsky!

3. Annie Hall- The movie that kicked Star Wars' backside! Well la di da!:D Allen's most famous film; it features Diane Keaton's Oscar-winning performance. It's as creative and interestingly shot comedy as we're ever going to see. Best Picture, 1977!!!

4. Crimes & Misdemeanors- Allen's best use of a comedy and drama in the same film. Martin Landau is fantastic, as is Alan Alda as an arrogant and successful TV producer.

5. Alice- Mia Farrow's best dramatic performance since The Purple Rose of Cairo; Farrow gets absolutely no credit for her excellent performances, but she does in this post. ;)

How 'bout you? What are your five favorite Woody Allen movies?

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Take The Money and Run - because he has a gub.
Broadway Danny Rose - because at no point does it even hint at saying, "Take me seriously."
Sleeper - because it's just plain weird.
Scoop - because it's got Scarlett Johansson, and he doesn't even try to shtup her.
Manhattan - because despite being self-indulgent, it might be his best use of music.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
You guys know I steadfastly refuse to make favorites lists, and since I love so many of the Woodman's films, I couldn't nail it down to five anyway. Beyond the ones that you're already mentioned (many of which are among my faves), here are some that I think are better than average:

Stardust Memories - Too Felliniesque and deliberately off-putting, but it has great moments (Aliens: "We enjoy your films, especially the early funny ones.")

Zelig - Beyond brilliant, and try explaining to the kids of today how it was done without using digital effects!

Radio Days - Splendid, moving recreation of an era and a dysfunctional family; a good choice for breaking in non-Woody fans

Everyone Says I Love You - Woody does a musical HIS way, and it's utterly unique; and what a cast! (His dance/flying sequence with Goldie Hawn is so magical, such a great romantic metaphor.)

Sweet and Lowdown - Interesting study of how genius artists are often disaster areas in their personal lives. Amazing performances by Samantha Morton and Sean Penn. "Hey, let's go down to the dump and shoot some rats!"

Cassandra's Dream - Not quite the disciplined masterpiece that Match Point is, but I think it's better than its rep. Nice work by Colin Farrell and Ewan McGregor as loser brothers (and the great Tom Wilkinson as their devil uncle).

Whatever Works - I was dubious, but Woody channeling his most misanthropic character through Larry David works beautifully. Nice supporting work by Evan Rachel Wood, Patricia Clarkson, et.al. Like many of his latter-day films, developments are too rushed and the ending is too pat, but I still dig it.

Face it: the man's a national treasure!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Years ago I would have said more of a regional one. He does seem to have widened his remit in recent years, but the provincial work allowed him to be hilariously sharp and incisive. He isn't so much these days. Maybe being 75yo and a legend in one's own time softens one's edge.

Whatever their faults might be, tho, there are hilarious and poignant moments in every Allen film. I particularly liked the period visuals in Radio Days, which have a simple and lovingly-done appeal that the rest of the picture is a little too schticky to live up to.

Last edited:

davidraphael

Practically Family
Can't do just 5. Woody is one the true remaining geniuses of American film. All his contemporaries from the 70s fell by the wayside (whatever happened to Scorsese, Coppola et al?). Yes, he's made a few movies that didn't quite work, but overall he's done excellent work.

Stardust Memories: Fellini meets The Marx Bros. Underrated. A great film.

Radio Days: Indispensable for frequenters of this site. Emotional stories within stories, incredible soundtrack.

Zelig: Unique retelling of early 20th C history, wonderful satire. "You're the tops- you're leonard Zelig!"

Another Woman: A very moving film about a middle-aged woman's struggle with her identity. Possibly the best of his 'serious trilogy' (the others being September and Interiors)

Sweet and Lowdown: Great character work. Full of pathos.

Whatever Works: Frankly, I love to hear misanthropes swearing a lot.

The Front: No, he didn't direct it, but I really like him in this anti-McCarthy flick (made by blacklisted filmmakers)

ok, so I've got to get an 'early funny one' in somewhere.

It's between Love and Death and Sleeper. I'll go for the latter because it was the 1st that I saw (so many times that I memorised it). But Love and Death really appeals to my Russian literature funny-bone - lots of Gogol, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy and Turgenev references.

Oh! I forgot Crimes and Misdemeanors, which really belongs on my list. He returns again and again to this Dostoevskian theme of crime and punishment and morality, which he later put to use again in Match Point

Last edited:

Levallois

Practically Family
I lean toward early funny Woody movies -

Sleeper - made me laugh so hard that the girl I was with - an absolutely gorgeous blonde who finally said yes to my invite - never went out with me again. At least that's what I'm saying was the problem; not my personality and weird hair. I laughed so hard at the opening when Woody first woke up and was walking and using the motorized wheelchair that people around us were stairing - it killed me (and my love life at the time).
Love and Death - again hilarious and silly - "wheat . . . "
Bananas - also so funny and so off the wall - "I've been bitten by a Snake" - Howard Cosell at the "coupling"
Play it again Sam - dating like it appeared to me back then - "how could I have misread those signs" - classic
Annie Hall - more serious Woody but still has some funny stuff including and very young Christopher Walkin as Diane Keatons crazy "turn-in-to traffic" brother - gotta love it

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Something that I've noticed with Woody's movies is how his female characters are always so much more interesting than his male characters. Diane Keaton, Mia Farrow, Diane Wiest, Samantha Morton, Elaine Stritch, Maureen O'Sullivan, Charlotte Rampling, Penelope Cruz etc. all have more to them than the men.

The lack of responses from the FL assembled is well in proportion to the number of people who actually like Woody's movies. Odd, considering his love for the Golden Age of music and movies, and old New York. ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
My theory: Woody's male characters are shallow on purpose. The best of them are always him - a self-loathing persona who doesn't want to be upstaged by other men. He usually got the (much younger, un-Jewish) girl until he got too old for that to go over anymore.

To be fair, a lot of his female characters are drawn in various degrees of shallowness. (All his ethnically Jewish females are.) He's an equal-opportunity misanthrope - with a saving grace. There is beauty in Woodland, but it always comes from the world - art, place, situation - not from within people.

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
The lack of responses from the FL assembled is well in proportion to the number of people who actually like Woody's movies. Odd, considering his love for the Golden Age of music and movies, and old New York. ;)
I don't see the lack of replies here as quantifiable data on the appreciation of Allen's films.

Last edited:

AntonAAK

Practically Family
I see lots of replies.

I love Woody Allen's films but am too busy to answer a question requiring such careful consideration at the moment. I'll try tomorrow.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
My theory: Woody's male characters are shallow on purpose. The best of them are always him - a self-loathing persona who doesn't want to be upstaged by other men. He usually got the (much younger, un-Jewish) girl until he got too old for that to go over anymore.

To be fair, a lot of his female characters are drawn in various degrees of shallowness. (All his ethnically Jewish females are.) He's an equal-opportunity misanthrope - with a saving grace. There is beauty in Woodland, but it always comes from the world - art, place, situation - not from within people.

Good points, Fletch-o! I recall Michael Caine's comments about his role in Hannah and Her Sisters, when he asked Woody if he, Caine, could wear glasses in the role. Woody said, "Sure. But why do you want to wear glasses?" Caine replied "I figure I'm playing you." That falls in with multiple characters being split into various "factions" representing several aspects of Allen himself.

I have September and Another Woman on order. I haven't seen them in their entirety, but I really enjoyed what I did see. Can't wait to take in the straight-on dramatic films of Woody. I also need to revisit Interiors, which I was in the wrong frame of mind to watch when I last saw it some years ago.

And while I'm at it, I plan on delving into Ingmar Bergman's films, seeing as Woody is such a devotee of the man's work.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I liked Another Woman (and Interiors) quite a bit, but found September off-putting and difficult.

When you delve into Bergman, I strongly suggest starting with Wild Strawberries. It's at a calmer pitch than many of Bergman's more intense films, and is one in which it's very easy to become emotionally involved with the characters. Woody actually borrowed its central plot - an old man driving with a group of diverse characters to receive an honorary degree - for Deconstructing Harry. But on the downside, you will see where some of Woody's great storytelling techniques are stolen from! (E.g., having adult characters walk through childhood memories and interact with people from their youth.)

Other strongly recommended Bergman films: Smiles of a Summer Night (influenced Woody's A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy, and was adapted into the Stephen Sondheim musical A Little Night Music), The Seventh Seal, The Virgin Spring (its plot - but not worth - was ripped off by Last House on the Left), Cries and Whispers, and Fanny and Alexander. Some of these can be a little difficult at times, but Bergman's skill as writer/director and enormous understanding of human character shine through.

Oh, and if you dig Mozart, Bergman's film of The Magic Flute is an utter delight.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I liked Another Woman (and Interiors) quite a bit...

I just finished watching Another Woman and I was quite impressed--really moved. I was pretty young the first time I saw it, so the film has taken on new significance now. I'll come back with some thoughts on it after I've ruminated over them for awhile.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Oh, man, a tough one.
In random order (and not necessarily adding up to 5):

Love and Death
Stardust Memories
Manhattan
Sweet and Lowdown
Purple Rose of Cairo
Broadway Danny Rose
Radio Days
etc.
etc.
etc.

Oh yeah! Did anyone mention Bullets Over Broadway?
or Manhattan Murder Mystery?

See? Can't pick a favorite.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
In no particular order:

Match Point: Even Woody himself says it's his best work in recent years.

Zelig: The scope of this film is so wide, social commentary, romance, etc, all done in the documentary style, I love it.

Whatever Works: I really dig Larry David as well, so this was like a match made in heaven. It's also a bit of a manifesto in favor of non traditional relationships which is a refreshing change from the ever present romantic comedy.

Vicky Christina Barcelona - Penelope Cruz, need I say anymore? She won best supporting actress for good reason.

Oh, wow, is that four already? I can only pick one more? Ok, Manhattan. The cinematography in this film is gorgeous.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
In Another Woman, people have said that Woody was ripping off Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, and while that does hold water, Woody's take isn't remotelt cartoonish, despite the dream sequence, but I do see the comparisons. I'd like to think that the Allen version is subtle enough where people take a look at their own lives without having been the downright nasty person Scrooge was as opposed to Gena Rowlands' Marion Post character, who, as Woody stated, made safe and cold choices rather than the right ones. The dream sequence with Gene Hackman's character was really effective.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Just watched September (1987)

While the plot is merely an unrequited love soap opera, the performances, Vermont country home setpiece, and the performances from all involved make September a much better film than much of the negative criticism I've read over the years indicates. Love the use of the Art Tatum-Ben Webster sides, the mentioning of Sam Waterston character's father having been blacklisted during the McCarthy era, and the fact that music and foreign films figure in these people's lives, like most people who populate Allen's films. Seeing September also cements my lifelong love affair with Dianne Wiest, who is the greatest Allen "stock player" ever. Denholm Elliott was in this, and I kept expecting him to say "It's like nothing you've ever gone after before"! This due more to his speaking patterns than any childhood association with his Marcus Brody role from Raiders.

I like Elaine Stritch's tough-as-nails/boozy broad role; her hard life is etched on her face, but she's the ultimate survivor and "moves on to the next crazy venture under the skies." Mia Farrow let loose and contributed genuine pathos with her character, Lane, who's based on Cheryl Crane, Lana Turner's daughter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner