Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your mid-life crisis

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
Since I'm determined to reach 100. I have technically not hit my mid-life crisis. It's more like an epiphany. Aside from recent family crisis, I'm in a good place. A job I like, with good prospects that pays well. The time to enjoy my stuff and to contemplate "next moves", because life is short. I've gotten serious about getting back in shape , "bringing back the sexy" as it were. Looking for a guy to settle down with, take flying lessons. Stop thinking about things I'd like to do, and go do them. When I'm 90, 38 and holding will look pretty good.

Warden

One Too Many
I know this is a bit morbid, but my mid life crises has taken the form of being all too aware of my mortality. So many family and friends have past on in the last few years.

The good news about this, it has made me realise life if shorter than you think and if you have things you want to do, do them now.

I have always been very austere when it comes to spending money, but I have loosen the purse strings and going for it. So far 2 family holidays a year, keeping in regular contact with my sister, decorating the house in an art deco style (how I really wanted always really wanted it) and most importantly of all I am about to complete the vintification of my whole wardrobe, (currently at about 45%).

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Mortality? Big time!
On Jan 5th I had a gangbanger try to kill me at work. Since then I have been dealing with a concussion and all the crap that comes with it. If I wouldn't have been on my A-game and read the signs, I have no doubt he would have killed me. The only thing that kept me alive was my training, experience and the fact that he underestimated me. I wasn't about to shiv just because he thought he was some kind of top thug.

Anyway, I'm waiting to wake up from this year as if it's all been a dream.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Riley, unfortunatley it's against the law to just "stick" gangbangers just because they are one.
If it weren't, we wouldn't have the problem in my town, and I'd have "sticking gangbangers elbow" as a result of it.
I spent years trying to look older, now I find myself looking in the mirror at lines around my eyes and trying things to erase them. LOL

Last edited:

kyboots

Practically Family
Boy I am going to show stupidity but what is a "gangbanger"? I know I am not the only one who doesn't know! Warden I agree it is mortality that sinks in.I see too many people my age and younger who are dying or near dead and it is very hard to accept for my age. What I thought would never happen as a young foolhardy bar hopper, I now see all to realistically. It is frightening and depressing at times, but it is coming! There does reach a time when your mental psychi goes flat and my optimissim leaves through the back door. It is not easy to deal with at times. I can't be alone in this!---John

Chas

One Too Many
LadyDeWinter is absolutely right. Technically, "midlife" begins at age sixty, as our maximum lifespan is Biblically set at 120. :)

It's got nothing to do with the Bible. It's about exercise and fibre. Scientists are guesstimating that with current trends the life expectancy will likely crack 150 years in the coming decades.

My 'fourties' were a mixed bag. Good and bad- but overall they are pretty good, and looking to get better with two years of my fourties remaining.

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I do apologize for that term.
We have a huge gang problem where I live, and being former Law Enforcement it was a term used daily to describe a person that is know to be in a gang and participating in their activities.
Yeah the verb ISN'T what I meant.
Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks for explaining that Mike, I didn't really think about it.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I do apologize for that term.
We have a huge gang problem where I live, and being former Law Enforcement it was a term used daily to describe a person that is know to be in a gang and participating in their activities.
Yeah the verb ISN'T what I meant.
Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks for explaining that Mike, I didn't really think about it.

That's alright, there's lots of words Americans (and English) use that give me a laugh, such as "gangbanger". The expression that both amuses and kinda disgusts me is to "blow someone off", as in "I was supposed to meet a buddy for lunch and he blew me off". I see it on television all the time. Think about it, people!

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
I remember that my grandparents loathed a certain phrase (similar to "blow someone off") that by the time I was using it, meant that something was unpleasant or unfortunate. It took years for me to realize that it meant something different (and obscene) when they were younger. No wonder they got mad! It might have been helpful if somebody had explained what was wrong, even if it was embarrassing. Thank goodness for the Dictionary of American Slang! I try and not use that phrase around folks in that age bracket.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
It's got nothing to do with the Bible. It's about exercise and fibre. Scientists are guesstimating that with current trends the life expectancy will likely crack 150 years in the coming decades.

Simply because you maybe have no belief, and hence no real idea as to what I was referencing, (which was Genesis, 6:3) , does not give you license to simply dismiss it with such a pronouncement. You would do well, (and so would we all) to honestly and impartially investigate such information. The Bible is just as much a history book, and thus a reference book, as it is a book of spiritual instruction.
Consider this.
The passage I referenced was written perhaps 6,000 years ago, give or take a few hundred years. The exact date being irrelevant in light of the facts of the day.
Such facts as follows, the vast majority of people in that time actually WORKED, and worked their azzes off! ,.....life was difficult at best for most. That's your "exercise", to which you refer.
Simply living their lives, day to day, kept them in shape. People had to work the land in order to raise their food, and without the benefits of mechanization which me enjoy today.

Also, they ate a completely natural diet devoid of all pesticides, hormones, preservatives, and other such additives which have originated in the past 100 years or so. There I think is the "fibre" to which you referred, which truly encompasses a myriad of micro nutrients, processed out of,...and thus missing in our diets today, of which we are only just beginning to get an understanding now.
My point then is this, if we would live our lives as closely to that natural lifestyle that we could, mentally, physically, and yes, spiritually,...we would all benefit and most likely live longer, happier, and more productive lives.
Our so-called midlife would then be moved up about 20 years or so.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ladies and Gentlemen - take a deep breath, compose yourselves 'please' and re-read the original 'start point' to this thread (as printed below).
Enthusiasm and personal interpretations of a subject have a tendency to allow our minds to wander off topic & it can just get silly :)
Please allow yourselves the luxury to 'now' wander back onto the topic - Thanks guys.

So I'll be turning 40 (I said it!!!) this December. If I had the funds, I'd buy a sexy hot rod and leer at handsome fellows while driving in it! Since that's not an option, I need to figure out an equally good scandal or event to bring in the next decade in a couple of months.

So, if you are 40 or over, did you have some kind of existential dilemma and deal with it by buying lots of age inappropriate things?:) What did you do if you care to share? Any suggestion for a glamorous crisis? :D

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Me..? I still have a hankering to buy a motorcycle and sidecar and go touring across Europe and into Asia - with no end in sight.
Also, a Sail boat to have the freedom to wander the highways of the world's seas and oceans.
Horseride, explore and camp through the Mongolian mountains and deserts and beyond, living off the land and absorbing and learning from other cultures.
Thirdly - give up most of my possessions that I could easily live without and go invest my health, time and knowledge to those who haven't had such a good chance in life (such as in a Developing Country). That would be a 'real legacy' to leave behind once my life is all but footsteps in the sand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80