Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Most Disturbing Realizations

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've never had my first cell phone, but I can remember when they got a bag phone at the radio station where I was working in the early '90s. It was supposed to revolutionize live remotes and on the spot news coverage, replacing the old Marti VHF unit we had. It sounded, however, like someone talking from the bottom of a well, thru a paper cup with the bottom knocked out. I understand the sound quality hasn't improved a whole lot, no matter how smart the cell phones have gotten.

Even earlier, I remember doing remotes by unscrewing the cap from a payphone mouthpiece and alligator-clipping the leads from a "telco box" onto the contact springs inside. And there was a little jigger you could do with the pull tab from a soda can to get a dialtone on that payphone without putting in any money. Not that I ever did that myself.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
fkt8vn.jpg

Oh, man. I'm so ....... old and stuffy. 31 years old, rainy days and I'm brushing out my radiators, at the moment. :D

I would be a very good housewife! I got a nice oldfashioned potato-stomper, too! ;)

Some realizations as you reach 60 or more:

1. Kidnappers are not very interested in you.
2. In a hostage situation you are likely to be released first.
3. No one expects you to run--anywhere.
4. People call at 7 PM & ask: Did I wake you?
5. People no longer view you as a hypochondriac.
6. There is nothing left to learn the hard way.
7. Things you buy now won’t get old.
8. You can live without sex but not your eye-glasses.
10. Your supply of brain cells is finally down to manageable size.
11. You can’t remember who posted this list.
12. Never take a sleeping pill & a laxative on the same night.
13. And you notice these are all in Big Print for your convenience.

14. The good news is that they've finally stopped asking you for ID at the liquor store but the bad news is the exact same thing.

Edward

Bartender
You ever had a pretty young lady sidle up to you and say your pipesmoke reminded her of her grandfather? I thought it was bad enough when I kept attracting girls with daddy issues.....!

When a pretty young gal flirts with me & and all I can think is....
“This rarely happened when I was young...why now?” :cool:

I'm 51, and have been with my girlfriend for 20 years and would never, ever do anything, in anyway that would disrespect her or our relationship, so it is amusing when a younger woman, effectively, hits on me (doesn't happen that often, but I live in a city where young women look for older men - it's a trade that is normal here). I am always nice, always act like I miss the point so that she doesn't feel bad and shut it down quickly, but am also amazed at how crazy this city is. The irony is that it is easier for me at 51 to meet attractive women in their 30s (and even 20s) than when I was that age - they want older men (as long as they have money or at least think they have money). Since I dress well and have taken reasonable care of myself, I am on their radar screens. It's a crazy dynamic as I've been hit on with my girlfriend with me - it's stupid and calculating, but funny if you don't take it seriously - and my girlfriend is both confident and smart, so she gets the stupid joke of it all and never takes it any other way than, as she says, "NYC silliness."

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Whens the last time you saw a

Whens the last time you saw someone driving a Porsche, that looked like he could actually drive a Porsche?

In the late ‘90s, I drove a Porsche “Carrera” to a tennis tournament in Dallas, Texas.
I didn’t know the city & the freeways were very confusing.
The turbo engine/gears made it possible to move fast & get on the right lane quickly
when I was leaving the city.

In the mid ‘70s, I remember the “Autobahn” in Germany with no restrictions
on the speed limit.

Last edited:
Whens the last time you saw a

Whens the last time you saw someone driving a Porsche, that looked like he could actually drive a Porsche?

Ok, the old times of real Porsche-driving are probably over, I guess.

If you see such guys in bigger german cities, today, they are more looking like Porsche driving strange geeks or nerds, or modernized Preppys, on the way to the next LAN-Party. Today, similar with such "Ferrari-boys", or Lamborghini. ;) Main point, to have clothing from Tommy Hilfiger. ;)

When a pretty young gal flirts with me & and all I can think is....
“This rarely happened when I was young...why now?” :cool:
Approximately five years ago, at a local bookstore I ran into the guy who has been my best friend for the last 40+ years. He and I had been chatting in line, so the attractive young lady at the cash register handled our purchases at the same time, all the while pleasantly joking with us in a flirtatious manner. Just as he and I reached the door on our way out, he turned to me and said, "You know, I used to think they were flirting with me. Then one day I realized they were just being nice to the old guy." :D

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Since I dress well and have taken reasonable care of myself, I am on their radar screens. It's a crazy dynamic as I've been hit on with my girlfriend with me - it's stupid and calculating, but funny if you don't take it seriously - and my girlfriend is both confident and smart, so she gets the stupid joke of it all and never takes it any other way than, as she says, "NYC silliness."
If you were into the dance scene, I could take you to any number of venues, in London and elsewhere, and within ten minutes or so, you would be asked to dance by young women in their twenties. Good grief, I'm nearly seventy, had only got through the door last week in Portsmouth, and was on the dance floor with a girl young enough to have been my grand-daughter.
For some it's a trade off between eye candy and sugar daddy, but it's not always so. I don't mind being old, but the drawback is that everything seems to drop out, spread out or fall out. But still they ask me to dance. Ooh, my poor old hip!

Edward

Bartender
The Highwayman is a boxy fit jacket, completely correct to the 1950s British jackets on which the design was based. You could downsize for a neater fit, though I'm not convinced that would look right, given the nature of the design. Better to go for a different, neater cut alternative design instead.

Probably the same time I last saw a pre-midlife crisis Harley rider here in the UK. ;)

If you were into the dance scene, I could take you to any number of venues, in London and elsewhere, and within ten minutes or so, you would be asked to dance by young women in their twenties. Good grief, I'm nearly seventy, had only got through the door last week in Portsmouth, and was on the dance floor with a girl young enough to have been my grand-daughter.
For some it's a trade off between eye candy and sugar daddy, but it's not always so. I don't mind being old, but the drawback is that everything seems to drop out, spread out or fall out. But still they ask me to dance. Ooh, my poor old hip!

It's a very female-heavy scene... and I know any number of women who would love to go dancing, but whose menfolk refuse. I'm not sure at what point in history it happened that dancing became "for girls", but it's definitely a thing (outside cliques of men who genuinely enjoy dancing, and then there's the lindy hoppers...).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy