Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Most Misunderstood Piece of Vintage

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pants that fit to my waist and not at my hips.

When the missus and I are out plugging around at the store or the mall, people think we're fundamentalists.

YETI

A-List Customer
The fella on the left looks very familiar. I'm diggin' that classic 30s look.

IMG_4077.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Well, misunderstood as in completely misunderstood would be unlined gloves (peccary, and of course chamois) worn in temps above freezing.
Equally misunderstood is wearing flannel suits, shirt and tie without an overcoat in lower temps (still above freezing) and obviously not being chilled at all. Same goes for tweed suits down to freezing temps. The properties of those fabrics in suitable weights appear to be completely unknown to many people.

Another thing that would probably be misunderstood (if it was visible, to the uninitiated that is) is the use of over-the-calf socks for men.

Apart from that, many items are not understood but only in a "wow-effect" sort of way. Like my steel-tube whangee umbrella that won't require replacement every other year as umbrellas are usually supposed to do. lol
Then there are the fine Panamas. They couldn't possibly be understood because almost no one knows about them, but that's a different kind of lack of understanding.

Last edited:
Seems anything outside of jeans and a t-shirt is misunderstood around here, especially by people in my age group. Fall has hit and hit hard, and I brought out the cardigans. I constantly get asked why I'm dressed like Mr. Rogers. Yes, he's the only fella to ever wear a cardigan :rolleyes:

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Seems anything outside of jeans and a t-shirt is misunderstood around here, especially by people in my age group. Fall has hit and hit hard, and I brought out the cardigans. I constantly get asked why I'm dressed like Mr. Rogers. Yes, he's the only fella to ever wear a cardigan :rolleyes:

Yeah, I had that last nite, as I was wearing my 'square dancers' pattern Cowichan cardigan – "A bit early for Christmas sweaters, innit?"

My Summer attire gets "It's the man from Del Monte" or "Colonel Sanders", and any kind of braces & fedora combo conjures references to Mormons and "Where did you leave your wagon?"... it's a real bore!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I can't think of one, apart, perhaps, from ties.

I wear a tie because I feel naked without one. It's a LONG ingrained habit from my schooling days, when we weren't allowed to be around campus without one. As a result, I tend to wear one on a regular basis.

The thing is, 'round here, most people don't wear them. If you do, it's only for a "special occasion". So I do occasionally get questions like: "What are you all dressed up for?" and others along those lines.

Usually, I wear a tie for two reasons:

1. Completeness and style.

2. Warmth.

I got SICK AND TIRED of walking around with that oh-so-fashionable "open-collar" shirt-look that people love these days. Mostly because in winter, I get the wind blowing down my chest and it freezes me to the bone. Wearing a tie keeps my shirt shut, and my chest warm.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've probably mentioned this on here elsewhere, but last Winter whilst wearing a newsboy cap, shawl collar sweater etc, a co-worker told me that I looked like a "chimney sweep"!

Believe me, the Amish questions get asked even more living in the Amish country. The bright side is being hit on by the Amish gals ;) lol

Yeah, I had that last nite, as I was wearing my 'square dancers' pattern Cowichan cardigan – "A bit early for Christmas sweaters, innit?"

My Summer attire gets "It's the man from Del Monte" or "Colonel Sanders", and any kind of braces & fedora combo conjures references to Mormons and "Where did you leave your wagon?"... it's a real bore!

TallCrownDave

New in Town
Even in the SF Bay Area, wearing fedoras gets me stares and a questions. It is generally positive but it is funny how wearing hats (excepts shitty ball caps) is so out of the norm ...

Dave

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
I've probably mentioned this on here elsewhere, but last Winter whilst wearing a newsboy cap, shawl collar sweater etc, a co-worker told me that I looked like a "chimney sweep"!

Chimney sweep? They were probably thinking of Dick Van Dyke in "Mary Poppins", even though he wears a suit.
wVQOEsLW1eapyRUGl1hoUnEsuMc.jpg

What really should come to mind with shawl collar cardigans/sweaters
lf-1m.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy