Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Personal Timemachine

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
What's your dream vintage transportation? Considering that it is indeed just a dream ... money is no object! :D

Mine:

morris2.jpg

Built in 1929 Norris Longdecker Launch is 29ft long with a 6ft beam with a 327 cc Chris Craft 210hp motor. Extra compartments for running the booze to and fro. Built low and fast. Unfortunately selling for $60,000 or more.

Richard

Dominic

One of the Regulars
Well, nothing fancy for me. No Rolls Royce Phantom, Bugatti Royalle and the like. Nope. Here's my ride; just plain ol' reliable 1929 Chevrolet.

29-chevy.jpg

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Sikorsky S-38 "Flying Yacht" aeroplane. (That's the little beauty seen in 'Aviator' with Howard and Kate flying together!). There's only two flying today - I'll take one please!

3_lg.jpg

-Dixon Cannon

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Where to begin....

On the ground:

1939-Ford-Woody-fa-lr.jpg

1941 Ford Deluxe

On the rails-
nyc5429.jpg

New York Central 4-6-4 Hudson, and the rest of the Empire State Express

On the sea-

SS_Normandie.jpg

Le Normandie

On the air:
Image39.jpg

a Sopwith Camel (or any other biplane...)

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
My choices...

I always envisioned myself bouncing around the Pacific in a PBY Catalina.
For ground transportation, a late 40's to early 50's Oldsmobile convertible Coupe with a canvas top. Now, where's that Lotto ticket?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Probably a 1956 Dodge La Femme:

56ext5tmb.jpg

56ext2tmb.jpg

That was the first car I thought of. I don't want to think much harder because I could honestly go on forever.

CharlieH. said:
On the rails-
nyc5429.jpg

New York Central 4-6-4 Hudson, and the rest of the Empire State Express
I'll see your comparatively plebeian coach/parlor streamliner, and raise you (from the same RR) "the most famous train in the world except only the Orient Express", the incomparable Twentieth Century Limited...
from locomotive
BIGallaboard.jpg

to observation, 12 cars and over 1000' later
TrainArtisan_AmClassic_prewar.jpg

For aircraft, a custom-built, up-engined and amphibious version of the Martin P6M Seamaster jet seaplane:
Martin-SeaMaster2.jpg

or maybe an "Old Dog" (hotrodded, stealthed B-52):
eb52_v3.jpg

On the road:
btf2.JPG

Along with a suitable supply of plutonium, of course...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
My pipedreams of a round-the-world air voyage usually find me lounging in the spacious Passagierräume aboard the Dornier Do X, rubbing elbows with moneyed eccentrics, members of the press, aviators and adventurers of various nations.

At the captain's table you listen to Herr Christiansen's yarns of the great war and the Hamburg-American Line, while Mueller the steward silently glides back and forth over the carpeted deck, replenishing vessels of good Pilsner and apéritifs.

Edit: You borrowed bandwidth, and your images were replaced with something unpleasant - so I edited - scotrace

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My mother took the Rex to Europe in 1937 when she was 17. Much to my surprise and delight there was a scene in the 1936 film "Dodsworth" on TCM the other night which showed the Rex pulling out of Naples harbor. About 50,000 tons, she held the Blue Riband for speed when the war broke out in 1939. Sadly she was bombed in harbor during the war, so her career, and that of her sister the Conte di Savoia, was cut short.
800px-B-17s_flyby_Rex.jpg

I'd of course drive to the ship in my 1941 Buick, which would exist in 1937 because we're talking time machine here, right?
Montgomery2.jpg

The 41 Buick was VERY similar to the 41 Caddy. Different grill, 41 was the first year for the Caddy "egg crate", 42 was the first year for the Buick "teeth", but the Buick had the 165hp straight 8, compared with Cadillac's V-8 that produced only 150 horses, much to the annoyance of the senior division at GM. Caddy and Buick were gorgeous cars that year.
Anyhow, I'm sure the flux capacitor would fit in the trunk of either, and a BIG one would fit in the hold of the Rex.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
I'll see your comparatively plebeian coach/parlor streamliner, and raise you (from the same RR) "the most famous train in the world except only the Orient Express", the incomparable Twentieth Century Limited...
from locomotive to observation, 12 cars and over 1000' later
TrainArtisan_AmClassic_prewar.jpg
I rode the 20th Century overnight from Grand Central to Westfield NY in June 1953. It was pulled by a pretty classy looking EMD E-7, not as cool as the steam, but pretty swanky. I still remember to this day the white linen table cloths and the soft thick pink blankets in the roomette.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80