Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your thoughts on a nice, black A2?

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
Hi. Color is very important to me. I feel color should be to everybody. Regarding clothing, everyone has a family of colors that flatters them. In the same way there are colors that don't look good on all of us. I would like to tackle the subject of the "difficult brown."

For many of us, brown is a taboo color. I have always avoided shirts, coats and jackets in brown. It just doesn't look good on me. Even as a child, before I understood colors, I didn't feel right wearing brown. Now I know why. It is my wrong color.

I would love a nice black A2 flight jacket. I'm looking at the US Authentic black goatskin. Does anyone else have a black A2? Has anyone considered one? The A2 is a classic style. I would feel very good in a black A2. Can anyone share any advice about selecting either a goatskin or a HH A2 in black? I'm wondering if the color was black, perhaps it would not matter as much what type of leather it was.

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Black A-2s at the popular price point will have civilian features like larger, handwarmer pockets. Nicer ones will cost more (horsehide will be custom and loads more).

Your best bet balancing quality and price would be the Gibson & Barnes Civil A-2, at $358 for goat (cow is $20 less). If you're not a fan of side slits for the hands, you'd have to go custom.

US-A gets $100 over the base price for anything but dark brown goat. I feel their quality is just barely in the Gibson bracket. Their standard fit is roughly a Long size but they'll make to measure at no additional charge. Their horse is unusually thick compared to their goat.

The choice of leather type has as much to do with grain and hand (feel) as with color. Often goat is the choice for all-weather wear, horse for drier weather and/or more rugged wear such as motorcycling.

My pick of the black A-2s might be an old Polo (they're no longer made). They come up now and then on eBay, but can fetch pretty good money (think $400 and up).

Up past $800 or so your options multiply - Aero, Lost Worlds, Good Wear...all great quality and cut in correct WW2 era style.

Last edited:

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Hello!

Can understand well what you mean, because also my difficult colour is brown. So instead of an A-2 I ordered a black Flight Jacket by Aero (http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=15).

But later I wanted an A-2, but black isn't the authentic colour (it is seal brown). Well, again my difficult colour, and I decided to buy an A-2 in seal brown, not the heavy front quarter horsehide, but the midweight horse hide by Aeroleather. This is the only kind of brown I really like, because it is a good match for me. The - let me say - typical brown makes a good match with a lot of men but not with me. On the other hand I have often heard that brown is a fine colour for me, so maybe I am just a victim of my own prejudice.

Kind regards,

Johannes

Last edited:

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
Thanks for the replies. Good Fletch, if I understand from my Fedora Lounge research, the G and B fits much more loosely than an US Authentic. After swimming and wallowing in an LL Bean Flying Tiger, I am hungering and thirsting for one of those "military cuts" I have read about and craved for. I was not aware that US Authentic's quality did not measure up to Gibson and Barnes. I wonder if anyone would care to elaborate more about that.

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have had a Gibson & Barnes Civil A-2 in black goatskin for almost a decade. It's a great jacket, the one I wear most - because most of my clothes are in the blue/gray/black range and match it.

It's cut large, but I need it that way: I'm a widebody, and it's all about the waist size. Anyway, it's held up beautifully: the goatskin is supple but indestructible, I've had no zip problems, no lose seams... barely any trace of wear: only the edges of the windflap and epaulets have worn a bit to show the gray undercolor. And the handwarmers and wallet pocket are very useful in real life. Literally the only complaints I have are that the Dacron lining feels plasticky and the "textured nylon" knits are scratchy and ugly. Worse, they're actually designed to be that way - meant to quickly fray to give the jacket a more lived-in look (but despite the "wear", the threads are permanent - hard to cut off, even with a knife!) I certainly hope they're using different materials for the lining and knits now!

A few months after I got the G&B Civil, I felt I that I had to get an "accurate" WWII A-2, so I got a US Authentic in seal horsehide. A totally different experience. The fit was trim and tall... which didn't really work for me. I wore it for years, but it was always longer than I needed, yet too tight in the waist and gut. (I wore it less than the G&B anyway, because I don't have many clothes in the khaki/tan/brown/green range.) I recently sold it (here) to clear the decks for getting a made-to-size Goodwear.

But it was a great jacket: tough horsehide with lots of character, and if there was nothing special about the zipper or hardware, the cotton lining and wool knits were delightfully comfortable. And it had a more rough-hewn, handmade feel than the stitch-perfect G&B. (And in fact, I went to the US A "factory" to get it... which turned out to be a really small, maybe 3- or 4-man operation.) I liked that aspect alot, even if it might translate to "less perfectly made".

Both companies make fine jackets. Different, but both well made of solid materials. Very different cut. You could probably approximate the fit of the US A from G&B by going down a size and getting a Tall vs. a Regular.

Windward

Practically Family
....Your thoughts on a nice, black A2? ...

A black A2 would be nice - if you've got enough brownies in your collection - like me - It should be looking like this one...

(Vanson "Mustang Fighter Pilot Jacket")
VansonblackA-2.jpg

Here's the link:
http://www.vansonleathers.com/product_pages/jackets/ga22_mustang.htm

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
ButteMT61 ..which of the US Wings $195 did you get exactly..there are several...thanks...

No doubt he meant the "USW Black Goatskin A-2 2000".

I have to agree that one of these would probably be a good choice for you at that price, even as just a "make do" jacket while you continue exploring "better" options. USW is a notch down in quality from G&B and US A, but they're still solid (if unremarkable, and current-spec vs. WWII styled), serviceable garments.

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
The one thing that appeals to me about US Authentic is their military fit. They say their jacket fits "like a uniform." I like the sound of this; I'd like a jacket that fits nice and trim.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
As I said above, it's an odd fit - trim but long. (Let me put it this way: my size 44 US A was nearly two inches longer in body length than my "loose modern sizing" size 46 G&B!)

If that works for your body type, go for it. US A's jackets are much better at replicating the WWII style than a current-spec USW. And like I already said, they look and feel very different from mass-produced assembly line output like USWs. You'll know you're wearing something unusual and handmade. (Of course, you'll be spending more than twice as much for a black US A vs. the $195 USW, so you have to decide if it's worth it to you.)

Edward

Bartender
I saw a black Aero A2 sell on eBay a while back - a custom job somebody had ordered up with black knits and a black FQHH body. I quite fancy the Happy Days myself, which seems to my eye (never having seen one in person) to be an Aero A2 with slash pockets instead of the A2's patch-pockets. I'd love one in black goatskin, but unfortunately Aero tell me they only have that hide in brown.

Used might be a good option if you're happy to wait it out for the right one; with most of the A2-style jacket market being fixated on accurate military repros, something "wrong" like a black one should command less of a resale value on the second-hand market.

Where are they off to dressed like that? 1986, I should think. ;)

Correct. You can't link to a specific jacket so I thought it was obvious ;)
I have a few USW jackets as "beaters"
They're nice for the money. $195, can't go wrong save a good deal on eBay.

No doubt he meant the "USW Black Goatskin A-2 2000".

I have to agree that one of these would probably be a good choice for you at that price, even as just a "make do" jacket while you continue exploring "better" options. USW is a notch down in quality from G&B and US A, but they're still solid (if unremarkable, and current-spec vs. WWII styled), serviceable garments.

The one thing that appeals to me about US Authentic is their military fit. They say their jacket fits "like a uniform." I like the sound of this; I'd like a jacket that fits nice and trim.

The USW G-1 fits this way. Took me some getting used to, but I like it now.
Different jacket, I know, but it's so dark a brown, it's almost black.
I do have a Schott G-1/A-2 hybrid that I love in black naked Steer, but it's not as trim a fit...beautiful jacket.

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The Vanson looks great, but it's very hard to get. They're strict about selling only thru their dealers, most of whom sell cycle gear exclusively. You would have to take a chance on the jacket, no try-ons or other fit info, and wait quite awhile.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Most of the members on this forum care about details & authenticity. I don't always. Some factors for me are price point, fit, function, and durability. I don't want to spend more than I have to, and always try to save a buck when I can. A lot of guys like that tight uniform look. I want my jacket to be a little roomier so that I can move my arms & layer a sweater under it. The original jackets only had two pockets. My pockets are always loaded with junk. And for hundreds of dollars, I want something that can go in the wind, rain, sleet, snow, and dark of night for years to come.

I've got a couple of black A-2 type jackets.

The first is a Taylor Leather N143 in goatskin. A local uniform vendor sewed a badge tab patch onto it so that I can pin my shield through the two rivet holes. It was perfect for helicopter flights, and the inside holster pockets gave me plenty of room for things like a back-up gun & extra gear. The only drawback was that the collar didn't have snaps to hold it down, but it didn't bother me enough that it interfered with my gear.

The second one was nothing special. An Excelled Sheepskin in cowhide. As some may know, Excelled made some government contract jackets about a dozen years or so ago. The item was on clearance. I had a coupon that reduced the already low sale price. Pretty good production quality. It didn't look like it would fall apart on me, and has proven itself to be tough. I haven't had a problem yet with it ripping, or stitches unraveling at the seams and stress points. I keep this one in the toolbox of my pick up truck as a spare jacket. Around here, I could be in 90 degree heat in the afternoon, and then have wind, fog, drizzle, and rain in the evening.

Bomber #N143

- Goatskin, 25" Length
- Knit Band & Cuffs
- Double Hand Pockets
- Full Lining
- Colors: Black or Brown only

Mens Leather A-2 Flight Jacket

Product details
History repeats itself when you slip into this accurate replica of the famous A-2 flight jacket. The timeless design and tough-as-nails genuine cowhide will hold up for generations. Two dual entry pockets outside and one inside chest pocket. Ribbed knit waistband and cuffs. Wind flap covers zipper front. Imported. Leather clean.

Colors: Black, Brown (Distressed Brown), Cognac.

For me, it's not even so much about authentic to the stich as quality.
That said, I just really hate those good-looking guys in the pix! :)

Fifty150

One Too Many
Both Excelled & Taylor offer their jackets in US made and imported versions. Mine have held up just fine. Linings are good. No loose threads. No stitches unraveling at the seams. No rips or tears in the outer leather shell. Both are pretty warm. Taylor offers a 10 year warranty on their jackets. I still have an A-2 made by Golder Bear Sportswear that is over 20 years old. Too bad it doesn't fit anymore. I'm not as slim as I was back in High School. I haven't had a leather jacket fall apart on me yet. A 10 year warranty is good to have, but will you really need it? Who has actually had a leather jacket that was so poorly made, that the stitches unraveled and the jacket fell apart?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails