Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will a teacore black Real McCoy's Buco J-24 turn completely brown over time?

mippo

New in Town
Can someone tell me if a black RMC J-24 will entirely change into brown over time or would it keep its original black color but only show brown in high wear areas?

Insufficient data. Those who can afford a RMC J-24 are too well off to set any serious wear into it while those who could, ain't ever gonna drop $2K+ on a leather jacket.

There was this one member who wore the hell out of his Shinki horsehide J-24 by Diamond Dave so much that it indeed did turn full brown but that guy practically lived in it so yeah, I guess it technically might be possible.

Chris_K

One of the Regulars
Some, not all but some of the original Buco jacket's from the 50's were teacore to the extent they were not dyed through, you can see on the flesh side of zip tabs etc. These jackets are still black, only in high wear areas where the flesh comes through can you see the brown core. I'm nearly certain on that, someone far more informed than me can feel free to correct me though.

The Shinki McCoy's uses is dyed through far enough, the whole top layer in fact, that if you were to try and turn the jacket brown, you wouldn't really have much jacket left, it would just be flesh. I've seen a twenty year old, early McCoy's black teacore jacket that still looks as black as the day it was purchased.

Edit - I stand totally corrected, as displayed below. Lord knows how much wear and how long took that Buco to look like that.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think when color dye fades it doesn't mean the leather is abraded through, it's just the dye leeches out or just fades because of oxidation and UV exposure. pretty much the same with tattoo

cbez

One Too Many
my fine creek in shinki has some teacore on raised seams and collar already. I think it's a combo of light abrasion and UV.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thats good fade

the jacket from above post. OG with the green nylon lining.
IMG_0568.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner