Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your thoughts on Levis Buffalo Leather Moto Jacket

I wish I could find another one of these. Llad Leathers. Very much like Bates but catered to a, um, different crowd I believe. Don't see them very often. This jacket was almost like a Bootlegger crossed with a sheene.
IMG_1006.PNG

IMG_1007.PNG

IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I can't say I'm particularly struck on the one in the OP, but aesthetics aside, I should have thought it would be on a par with the leather trucker styles in terms of materials and construction. Thing is, though, if you're looking for a basic Perfecto-type or similar, there is an endless number of options to choose from, so better holding off until you find something that is perfect. Having owned a lot of these over the years, you can get lucky... I've had some very impressive, cheaper options, though often this requires sifting through a whole batch to find the best one. Having owned both, if you are of the shape for it (there's a very unforgiving drop from chest to waist in a lot of their bike jackets), I found Aero's take on the Perfecto to be vastly superior to the Schott 618/613, though they are quite different cuts (the Schott is boxier and more forgiving around the belly area; the Aero nips in very neat at the waist compared to the shoulders). Personally, I'd never pay the new price Schotts now go for in the UK; for a little more, imo the Aero is markedly better, and with the price of a Schott here in London about the same as Vanson, I'd go Vanson. At the cheaper end of the market, I've heard a lot of people pleased with these: https://www.skintanleather.co.uk/classic-leather-motorbike-jacket--brando-40-p.asp . If you fancy something a bit different, then there are the revived British brands - Lewis' Bronx was their answer to the Schott Perfecto, while the Lightning is their perfected British lancer-front /crosszip (they also do a range of others). Available in sheepskin if you want a soft jacket. Not cheap - expect to pay around £750 - but very lovely. Similarly, the Mascot Black Night (https://www.mascotleathers.co.uk/black-night) in the midprice range is much softer. Goldtop's 617 https://www.goldtop.co.uk/product-page/the-617 is another distinctive take on the style. At this mid-range price, neither are made in Europe/US/Japan (Goldtop recently confirmed as China) if that's an issue for you, though the examples I've seen have been good value for money in terms of the basic garment.

Kuro

Practically Family

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Yes. That is what I am looking for. A clean cross zip. No belts, buckles or ties. Thank you for sharing.

Look out for a Langlitz Cascade. They are kind of rare on ebay but they sell for a fraction of what they cost new. These are just like that, no belt, no buckles, no ties, two pockets. I own one and it's my favourite cross-zip. Pictures here: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/used-new-to-me-langlitz-cascade.90742/
Langlitz leather is mid-weight-ish and very pliable, not stiff at all. That jacket of mine was made before 1982 btw, so if you get one of these, it'll last.

Kuro

Practically Family
What about Schott Raven? As clean as possible, lightweight and absolutely beautiful.

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/raven-leather-jacket.htm?color=1&catID=5
GHoVbyCKTC2mrSdcvDEn

IJYQZlE6RRCgszFM3VzN

jjf1BT2PShOMA7clWphf

I REALLY like the Raven. I fear purchasing a lambskin jacket, at that price, and feel like I was done purchasing them.

I know if that jacket was steer, I would have already purchased it. I was looking at it last year before I even knew of Aero and made my order. The lambskin held me back.

Perhaps this could be an exception?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Kuro:
So what are your jacket measurements, height, weight and waist? I’m sure someone around here has something you’d like. Can’t hurt to try.
Excuse me if i missed them.
B

Kuro

Practically Family
Schott Raven and this version of the Aero Ridley are basically what I am looking for. Carlos RMC Buco JH-1 got me to thinking and considering this question. That is a consideration as well, but I will say that the cost of an Aero jacket is the maximum I could afford to spend on a jacket, I do not believe I could ever afford to purchase a RMC, used or otherwise.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help. It was my hope that something like these two jackets were readily available at a used jacket price from someone you all would recommend, so I could afford one sooner than waiting till I can afford to order an Aero Ridley in soft back steer.

This is why I was asking about the Levis jacket, as it was on 40% off sale this weekend which made it less cumbersome to consider. But I know it would probably not be very special.

Aero Three-Pocket Ridley Natural Vicenza Horsehide front.jpg

Last edited:

Kuro

Practically Family
Kuro:
So what are your jacket measurements, height, weight and waist? I’m sure someone around here has something you’d like. Can’t hurt to try.
Excuse me if i missed them.
B

Let's see. I typically wear an off the shelf 42 jacket, dress coat or otherwise. My dress shirts are 16 inch and 34-35" sleeves.

Here are my Aero BR measurements:

It is a 42, with 27 inch sleeves.
18 inch shoulders, 22.5 ptp
26" back length

The Schott P613S is a size large, with 26.375 sleeves.
18.75 inch shoulders, 23.5 ptp
25.25" back length

So the Aero BR is a comfortable tight fit, not meant for layering as it should, and the Schott is has room for layering, that and the medium was too small for me in the shoulders and causing fit issues, compared to the large, so I had to size up to that. Both jackets are comfortable. I am certain I could not wear smaller than 18" shoulders. My chest measures 40.5", hence the size 42.

Last edited:

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
The Levis jacket looks kind of cheap from the product photos. To my taste the slightly worn in one looks a little better - https://www.levi.com/US/en_US/clothing/men/outerwear/leather-moto-trucker-jacket/p/275640002

The thing I like about the Levis site is you can order and return at no cost. So if you're interested in it then order it and check it out I'd say, nothing to lose, if the fit or materials aren't exactly what you want send it back. As you mention they also have good discounts so, given you are talking about 1/4 of the price of some of the jackets mentioned here, its not that bad a buy necessarily.

Powerband

Practically Family
The buffalo skin from Levi’s isn’t inadequately thin, but it isnt thick, so it will be at a weight you’re looking for. However, the price is too high for what it is... but, I haven’t forgotten that price is relative to different people, so I can’t judge you for buying it, if you like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Look out for a Langlitz Cascade. They are kind of rare on ebay but they sell for a fraction of what they cost new. These are just like that, no belt, no buckles, no ties, two pockets. I own one and it's my favourite cross-zip. Pictures here: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/used-new-to-me-langlitz-cascade.90742/
Langlitz leather is mid-weight-ish and very pliable, not stiff at all. That jacket of mine was made before 1982 btw, so if you get one of these, it'll last.
The Cascade is a fantastic functional great looking jacket- versatile!

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Schott Raven and this version of the Aero Ridley are basically what I am looking for. Carlos RMC Buco JH-1 got me to thinking and considering this question. That is a consideration as well, but I will say that the cost of an Aero jacket is the maximum I could afford to spend on a jacket, I do not believe I could ever afford to purchase a RMC, used or otherwise.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help. It was my hope that something like these two jackets were readily available at a used jacket price from someone you all would recommend, so I could afford one sooner than waiting till I can afford to order an Aero Ridley in soft back steer.

This is why I was asking about the Levis jacket, as it was on 40% off sale this weekend which made it less cumbersome to consider. But I know it would probably not be very special.

View attachment 134055
I have a buffalo levi’s Brown Trucker and the hide is soft, flexible and relatively thick. I did visit a local Levi’s and found the black to be much thinner in the same style.

Kuro

Practically Family
Just following up on this old thread of mine.

I was out in LA for work for a few days last month, and found the Schott LA flagship store. They had the Raven there, I really liked it, and I purchased one.

Long story short, I did not love it. It draped strangely, and just felt a tad bit too light. Don't get me wrong with that statement though, this is thick lambskin, and it had weight, just I don't know, didn't feel right, I didn't love it.

So I sent it back, and just purchased this: The Schott x 3sixteen in roughout cowhide.

https://www.3sixteen.com/blogs/news/15y-schott-for-3sixteen

18_15_12_3sixteen_SchottPerfectoLeatherJacket_Black_1_1024x1024.jpg

I will have it later this week, and will update on thoughts. I hope it fits!

P.S. I was seriously considering an Aero Ridley after the P213 Raven didn't work for me, but I guess I wanted a different leather option that Aero does not offer... We will see, welcome again to my search!

Kuro

Practically Family
P.S. I also now own an Aero Ridley thanks to ksozay. I am wearing the Ridley all the time now, seems to be what I wanted. Thanks ksozay!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails