Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You've got it, ...you lose it, and it's gone!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
"Well, at one time, you've got it, and then you lose it, and it's gone for ever."

Yes, Sick Boy's unifying theory of life applied to classic film actors:

Allow me to pose a provocative question; Does the latter work of Golden Era actors diminish their legacy?

For instance, Fred Astaire on "Battlestar Gallactica?" Gene Kelly on "The Love Boat?" Ava Gardner in "Earthquake?" And in reference to Sick Boy, the last twenty years of Sean Connery's career?

Now, I am rarely one to pose a question without answering it: No, I don't think it does, and I think the evidence is empirical; all of these actors are still highly respected. Alas, no amount of "The Rock" (Still a fun movie) or "League..." (ditto) has diminished Connery to the public or his peers, but what about you; the film aficionado?

Also, an actor's latter work acts as a conduit through which a new generation discovers their earlier and arguably better works.

What are your opinions? Do you have other examples?

What about those actors who were never diminished, for whatever reason, be it Bogart or Sir Laurence? Has anyone improved with age?

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I've found the "pretty boys" and the "bombshells" are the ones that rise up and fall into obscurity. Those with run of the mill good looks are the ones who last. When was the last time Robert Redford was in a movie? He looks like Dick Tracy's Pruneface now. Sinatra lasted practically to the end because his characters aged as he did. The roadside is filled with beautiful young actresses who tried to hold onto youth but basically became victims to the surgeons knife. Joan Collins? Really the exception to the rule during her Dynasty days, but I haven't seen her lately. Another actress that aged well was the Miss Ellie from Dallas, Barbara Belle Geddes. Classic looks but not a real knock out bombshell.

Feraud

Bartender
To answer your question I say NO! If and when one ever gets "it" they do not lose it.

Hemingway Jones said:
For instance, Fred Astaire on "Battlestar Gallactica?" Gene Kelly on "The Love Boat?" Ava Gardner in "Earthquake?" And in reference to Sick Boy, the last twenty years of Sean Connery's career?
The problem is Hollywood. Once a person reaches that undefined and ever changing age considered "over the hill", Hollywood has no use for them. Older actors are forced to take less than stellar roles just to keep working. Generally speaking what comes out of Hollywood is mostly garbage. Fodder intended to entertain the masses and generate revenue.
Of course that is another thread. ;)

If an actor chooses a role that fits their age and ability I see nothing wrong with doing an episode of The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, or Battlestar Galactica. :)

Just thinking of Stallone doing another Rocky & Rambo film is enough to give a film fan nightmares.:eek:

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Everybody's got to eat and actors taking less than superb roles is the norm not the exception. How often do really great scripts come along that are backed by excellent productions companies and directed by genius directors? Almost never that's when. You'd think that Hollywood was overflowing with excellence when in fact it is mostly a bunch of dollar driven zombies hoping to make a buck....at least in the DVD market even if it bombs in the theaters!

An lofty ideals of perfection and feeling that certain projects are beneath them will put an actor in the poor house fast.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, let's take an example of someone like Cary Grant. His acting technique seemed to improve as he aged and he perfected that urbane image in the late fifties and early to mid sixties. By nineteen sixty-seven, he was gone. He wanted his fans to remember him as we was. This is what he said, not my opinion.

Would it have been better had Fred Astaire retired before "Battlestar?" Should have Jack Nicholson retired before he became a self-parody, or does he have one more Oscar-caliber performance within him?

Some actors transition within the industry. Robert Redford has given us some fine films behind the camera after the peak of his acting career.

Paul Newman is still doing great work.

Peter O'Toole was wonderful for the five minutes he was in "Bright Young Things."

What happened to some of our great American actors: DeNiro, Pacino, Kietel, even Pesci?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Let me stand aside here and state, I love a lot of these actors and most films in general.

So, I loved Sean Connery in "The Rock," I loved the old and bloated Orson Welles; I watched his talk show appearances, I loved Pacino in "The Devil's Advocate;" I've probably seen it fifty times. I loved DeNiro in "Meet the Parents" and Nicholson in "Anger Management."

I think it is valuable to have the discussion of how an actor handles their own legacy, but, for me, I would watch Sean Connery read " Green Eggs and Ham" to School children.

:)

Hondo

One Too Many
Twitch said:
Everybody's got to eat and actors taking less than superb roles is the norm not the exception. How often do really great scripts come along that are backed by excellent productions companies and directed by genius directors? Almost never that's when. You'd think that Hollywood was overflowing with excellence when in fact it is mostly a bunch of dollar driven zombies hoping to make a buck....at least in the DVD market even if it bombs in the theaters!

An lofty ideals of perfection and feeling that certain projects are beneath them will put an actor in the poor house fast.

Hollywood goes for younger generation judging from recent release of films, they say after actresses over 30, looking for good films roles are rare, tough. I agree yeah got to pay some bills and if they price is a decent offer so a lame film, your name has already been made. I don’t hold it against any of them; you never know when the right script might come along.

And BTW Morgan Fairchild looks great at 49 yr old, WOW!!!

Tony in Tarzana

You do have to adapt as the years go by. A good example was Joan Blondell who was a bombshell, and her image entirely changed as she got older and she gave some truly great and un-self conscious performances.

Not so good? How 'bout Ray Milland in The Thing with Two Heads?

Feraud

Bartender
Sadly, guys like DeNiro, Pacino, Stallone, Schwarzenegger, have become typecast into parodies of themselves. Is it their fault, the managers, old age, insecurity, boredom, etc.? We can never really know. Maybe a little of all the above reasons are at work.
There should be no shortage of quality work for older actors or directors. The business focuses on youth and "what is hot" to sell.
Redford and Eastwood are productive and acclaimed filmmakers. Connery is still a fine actor in my opinion. I enjoyed his characters (older men) in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and Rising Sun. Actor/actresses like Morgan Freeman, Meryl Streep, Don Cheadle, Denzel Washington, have too much talent to have the focus of Hollywood's gaze be the Cameron Diazs of the acting world. :rolleyes:

Twitch

I find myself having no idea of the names of most of the actors in the movies of the day. If you read the names off I couldn't pick them out of a line up.:eek: That doesn't mean they are all bad but simply that I have lost interest in any magic that Hollywood once had...if it ever did.

Lou Diamond Phillips is a good example of working to pay the rent. The once fabulous Richie Valens was never used in or offered any worthwhile parts aftre that role. Now, decades later his talents are still there as seen in parts in TV series occassionally such as his recurring role in Numbers. But turn on Sci-Fi Channel and you'll see him is stuff like "Bats." In another one last year he was killing zombies.:rolleyes: Maybe his agent sucked.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Senator Jack said:
Lawrence Olivier? You never saw him in the short-lived 70s tv series Put A Lid On It?

I read the book, saw the movie but never knew they made a TV show:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy