Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zippers

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
French Connection II

Here is the vintage "Eclair" zip, on a 1940s, French Army Anorak.
The slider is decidedly TALON. No markings to the slider.

Eclair_zip.jpg

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
KYNOCH

Here is the Kynoch zip.
I would imagine that this is early to mid '20s at the latest, earliest possible would be 1920. Kynoch launched "Lightning Fasteners" in 1926.

This is such a solid stamping and heavy zip- the zip track measures almost 9mm across and the slider is 20mm across at its widest.

Kynoch_1.jpg

Reverse of the pull, stamp.
Kynoch_2.jpg

Reverse of the slider.
Kynoch_3.jpg

Kynoch_4.jpg

The zips are attached to a long pair of Ladies felted wool "spats", gaiters, leggings.

B
T

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Thank you so much. Note the similarity between the Kynoch slider (and track) and the early (but later) 'single trunnion' Dot sliders? Probably a design fashion rather than a company connection, as some have suggested, but interesting (to me, anyway...)

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Mais oui, mon brave. Vraiment 'Talonesque'!

No connection that I know of (although I'm always eager to be correctly informed). The LtD fastener (still in production) had US patents and most of the Dots we have seen say Made in England or Made in GB, but their location has so far defied investigation. The problem with tracing zip manufacturers is that you can do it in small quantities on relatively small machines in correspondingly small premises. And, let's face it, except to people like us it's not the most glamorous of businesses. I suspect that if Lightning hadn't been part of ICI and later IMI we wouldn't know where they were made.

Eyes of Fashion

New in Town
Similar zipper

I have a zipper that is very similar to this one but is silver, it is in a 1930s surrealist dress. On the back is says Made in England. Can anyone help tell the story of this zipper. I greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thank You.
Alan Eardley said:
Here is a similar but earlier (cruder) version from the 1950s/early 60s.

Lightning.jpg

Alan

Eyes of Fashion

New in Town
Baron Kurtz said:
Hi Alan,

Yes, i understand the stock control issues. At least dating a zipper can give you a maximum age of a garment, though, eh? You wouldn't happen to know when this style (below) was brought into use, would you?

Anyway, finally here are pics of the Lightning zip in that dress (God, zips are hard to photograph!).

Front of the zip-pull. Lightning diagonally from top left with two lines - one longer than the other - parallel to the writing above and below Lightning:

Lightning1.jpg

Back of the zip-pull. Embossed Made in England:

Lightning2.jpg

And probably more useful for dating. Does anyone know anything about the strange spot and dash label under the maker's label.

Lightning3.jpg

BellyT: love that Crown zip. Very cool.

bk

Alan,
Is there a way I can get the pictures of the lightning zip in the dress, I am researching a dress with lightning zippers as well.

Thank you.

OLD GIT

New in Town
curved fly zippers

When I started manufacturing men's trousers in the late 60's, the fly zippers were all curved and in one direction. It was an understood fact that men, who wore boxer shorts, dressed to the left side and so the curved zipper created a natural shape to accommodate his manhood. There were of course an equal number of teeth! The curved zippers were around 8 - 9" long.

BellyTank said:
But the zipper in the pictured above IS curved.

It would help the front of the trousers to follow their natural contour,
as the fly descends toward the crotch seam, allowing a natural curve.

But one would wonder how "curved" a zipper can be, when it has the same number of teeth on both tapes...

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner