Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

£30million remake of Brideshead Revisited this year!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
felicityMOS1006_468x706.jpg

A big BBC screen remake of Brideshead Revisited is currently in production, with Emily Blunt, Emma Thompson and Michael Gambon heading the all-star cast.

When originally made in the early 80's it was one of the finest, most expensive ITV serials, Brideshead Revisited set the benchmark for others to follow. It launched the career of film star Jeremy Irons and co-starred a host of A-listers, including Sir Laurence Olivier in one of his most acclaimed TV roles.

As a new and bright eyed undergraduate in London I was totally smitten by the original series and often would take the bus up to Oxford with picnic and teddy bear (I was rather young then, so cut me some slack :)).

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'll be very interested to hear the accents of the actors. Nothing kills that "upper class" cache than an inaccurate accent. It's hard to imagine how they could improve on the first version. Maybe make it longer???
30 million pounds sounds like a lot, but for a fiim production, it really ain't.
Do I qualify as a nay sayer? Sorry! I'm sure I'll watch!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
There's some lovely photographs from the set of this in the Hollywood issue of Vanity Fair that's out now. I couldn't find them online but they're worth a look if you have the magazine.

It's a very strong cast (Matthew Goode, Michael Gambon, Emma Thompson, Ben Whishaw) and Andrew Davies, who helped write the screenplay, has a good track record. No Castle Howard though--new location.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
I'll be very interested to hear the accents of the actors. Nothing kills that "upper class" cache than an inaccurate accent. It's hard to imagine how they could improve on the first version. Maybe make it longer???30 million pounds sounds like a lot, but for a fiim production, it really ain't.
Do I qualify as a nay sayer? Sorry! I'm sure I'll watch!

For the big screen? That means shorter, dumber, more music.

Well, we live in a culture that is compelled to eat itself, and with a new version of some Jane Austen book coming out every two weeks I guess twenty-odd years must seem like a very, very long time to wait for a remake to some people... but seriosuly, can a new version really improve in any significant way on the first (which was an improvement on the book, in my opinion)?

I don't think it will.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
The Vanity Fair pictures. I especially love Emma's cape and gloves; strange to see her with grey hair though.

emma.jpg

art1.jpg

article2.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vanity Fair "Brideshead" photos - THANKS!

IOF...Thanks for posting those, they are just lovely!! Can't wait for this one to come out, although they have much to live up to against the original 80's series.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
From the photos the men's clothing looks pretty terrible, in my opinion. I don't even know what Sebastian's outfit is supposed to be with the school/club style blazer with matching waistcoat? The coats themselves seem to be cut in an off-the-rack department store 2008 style, and the shirt collars look totally wrong for the time period.

Now this is what I'm talking about:

Brideshead%20Revisited.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Vladimir Berkov said:
From the photos the men's clothing looks pretty terrible, in my opinion. The coats themselves seem to be cut in an off-the-rack department store 2008 style.
I'd have to agree.:(

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PADDY said:
IOF...Thanks for posting those, they are just lovely!! Can't wait for this one to come out, although they have much to live up to against the original 80's series.

They've got an immense story (original mini-series was 11 hours) to tell and the new movie is only 100 minutes. Doesn't sound like a great idea to me...

helvissa

Familiar face
I love the original adaptation of it, and I am scratching my head as to why they would want to make another version. Anthony Andrews was so brilliant as Sebastian! And what could improve on the naked sunbathing? ;) Castle Howard was a perfect setting as well.

*goes off to have a cry*

Oh, actually - has anyone seen the film version of A Handful of Dust? It's quite a novel, more unnerving that Brideshead. I haven't seen the film but I'm wondering what it's like. It had Kristin Scott-Thomas in it, I think (I think she would be fantastic in the lead if they ever make a tv or film version of The Heat of the Day).

PS: It's the BBC making this version? £30 million.... Firstly... it's pretty pointless to remake it, seeing as the Jeremy Irons version is superb (and, as far as I recall, was made by ITV?); secondly, £30 million?! Why can't they spend our licence fee money on better tv across the board? Since I got satellite (my boyfriend watches the "House of Elliot" repeats as he likes the bobs!) I NEVER watch the BBC, except maybe some of the comedy on BBC 2. It's full to bursting with cobblers! So the more I think about it, the more it's annoying me that they're spending so much money one production when it's not even necessary. :( Export market, perhaps? Yes.

renor27

One of the Regulars
Oh my goodness

Just got a look @ the trailer on Apple and all I can say is has any one heard of a hair cut.
Once again a period film is made great sets great story but the hair cuts are all wrong.
I could not get beyound that and even though the film looks nice I am not sure if I will see it in the theater.
David

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just seen it.

"Another martini Julia?" (just before the Gondola rocks and Charles is conveniently catapulted into the canal...:/ ).

Just seen it. It holds its' own for all the time allowance/constraints it has. Sebastian is something of a 'wet rag' throughout, and I much preferred Anthony Andrews' interpretation of this character, but all the others are great.

PS; Photo, 'on location' in Venice (I wish!!). And not a HemingwayJones in sight!

BRIDEY1-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy