Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ушанканатор - USHANKANATOR .... bring it on!!!!!!

TraditionalFrog

One of the Regulars
John,

I love your ushanka!

I have one almost just like it. I bought it from a Russian gentleman several years ago. He had a local shop that sold Russian imports. Sadly, the shop is no longer there. It has served me well through several cold Indianapolis winters.

My ushanka keeps me so warm I am sweating under it when I take it off (it was in the single digits once when this happened). The Russians know hats!

Mr. Scratch

New in Town
One of my favorite display hats. This is a Soviet Ushanka issued to a US soldier during WWII. Yes, that's right. He was a paratrooper captured by the Germans in Sicily, then shipped to a POW camp in Poland. When the Russians liberated the camp in '45, his uniform was so inadequate in the cold that they issued him a new complete Soviet uniform to keep him from freezing on his way back to the US lines.

Here it is, modeled by 4 year-old Ryadovi Soriah, the only person I know with a head small enough to wear it. :)

359213272.jpg

LordBest

Practically Family
Czarist Chap

The humble ushanka also comes in handy in the frigid tundra of South East Australia:
CzaristChap.jpg

Luxuriant rabbit fur, unfortunately just a tad tight. I am wondering if I could stretch it.

Cigarband, may I ask where you acquired that Imperial Russian crest? Very spiffing, I want one, being an 'orrible little monarchist and what not.

Mr Scratch, what a sweet picture. The ushanka suits young Ms Soriah.

Cigarband

A-List Customer
LordBest said:
Cigarband, may I ask where you acquired that Imperial Russian crest? Very spiffing, I want one, being an 'orrible little monarchist and what not.

I too am an 'orrible little Monarchist when it comes to Russia. The Romanovs must be restored!:eusa_clap
I got the crest at a Militaria Collectors show here in Ohio
about 2002. Two Russian emigres were selling a ton of surplus stuff for a pittance. If I would have had some extra cash I could have bought Lamb's wool ushankas for 20usd, and Sable Officers Ushankas for 45usd. I still regret being poor at the time.:( Perhaps the Bay or Google may help you find one. Your's by the by, looks a treat.:D

Young Ms Soriah, is cute enough for TV. Get her an audition today!

I also see many DDR ushankas at the Militaria shows, they are terrible.:eek:

matei

One Too Many
Ушанка по русски, căciulă pe românește. :)

I used to have a few when we lived in Romania, they are very useful in the cold weather. Mine were made from rabbit fur.

The best one I had was from Russia - obviously. ;)

Sadly, these hats are slowly dying out in Romania. A few years back I went shopping for a replacement, and I was only able to find them in two places in București. You still see lots in the countryside.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Russian hat check

University of Chicago Russian professor Valentina Pichugin claims that during the Soviet period a shapka ushanka can be "better than a business card" for determining someone's station in life, depending on the design, quality, but especially the pelts. Here is the Russian pelt pecking order, as politically incorrect as it might seem to some.

1) Wild sable and baby harp seals

2) Mink and beaver

3) Red fox

4) Raccoon

5) Wolf and dog

6) High quality sheepskin

7) Rabbit

8) Poor quality sheepskin

9) Cat masquerading as rabbit

10) Synthetic fibers

Leacock

Familiar Face
I recently acquired a lovely black seal fur RCMP style fur hat, I completely understand the issue, it looks quite fetching on the top of your head, but pull those flaps down and it suddenly becomes kind of dorky.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I recently acquired a lovely black seal fur RCMP style fur hat, I completely understand the issue, it looks quite fetching on the top of your head, but pull those flaps down and it suddenly becomes kind of dorky.

I know right. I have a black sheepskin Ushanka ftom Ushanka.com. I've only put down the ear flaps once when it was -20 degree celcius. I had to walk for 2 hours straight at night. It looked pretty dorky, but it kept me warm. When do you put your ear flaps down?

Those articles cracked me up. I lived for a while in Odessa, and I'll admit I was bewildered by the men leaving their earflaps up (and eating ice cream) all the time. Only one day, in late January, did I see anyone going flaps down. It was about -20°c and the wind coming off the Black Sea was insufferable. I sure wished that I'd had one that day.

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
Those articles cracked me up. I lived for a while in Odessa, and I'll admit I was bewildered by the men leaving their earflaps up (and eating ice cream) all the time. Only one day, in late January, did I see anyone going flaps down. It was about -20°c and the wind coming off the Black Sea was insufferable. I sure wished that I'd had one that day.

Supposedly from what I've been told you're considered a wimp if you wear the ear flaps down unless you're a garbage man or someone else who works outside in the winter.

I've owned one of the real Soviet blue "fish fur" ushankas since 2007 and I love it. I was afraid Communist manufacturing quality might mean it would fall apart in one season, but it's still going strong.

Edward

Bartender
The Soviet a d post Soviet stuff I've owned has always been great... much cheaper tha Western, too. I imagine it varies, much like Western goods. [huh] I have a couple of Russian ushankas of c2010 manufacture. Great hats. One cold Winter, feeling ill, I fell asleep wearing one. Woke up the next morning and for a shocked couple of seconds thought my hair had grown back overnight.

Regarding earflaps, they can stick their macho nonsense: the flaps are the biggest plus of the design. Besides... anyone who worries overly about being manly isn't.

Leacock

Familiar Face
I know right. I have a black sheepskin Ushanka ftom Ushanka.com. I've only put down the ear flaps once when it was -20 degree celcius. I had to walk for 2 hours straight at night. It looked pretty dorky, but it kept me warm. When do you put your ear flaps down?

When I start to feel sufficiently cold that I start to fear damage to my ears. Well, that and no one I know or have any desire to impress can see me. The flaps are truly wonderful to have, one simply has to be self-confident/cold enough to employ them. When I am alone those flaps tend to come down pretty fast!

Seal fur is at the peak of the hierarchy lol. Where did you get it from anyways?

Bilodeau I strongly recommend them. It can be difficult to find seal products online but I wanted to support the industry. They offer the same products as one of their competitors, but for around $60 dollars less. Given that the competitor even uses the same images as them I doubt the quality is very different from that Newfoundland based competitor.

They do have a relatively limited variety of styles of hats however, I opted for the black RCMP one. I have received nothing but compliments since getting it, it is really quite popular. Unfortunately no one has ever given me an opportunity to discuss what fur it is.

Last edited:

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
When I start to feel sufficiently cold that I start to fear damage to my ears. Well, that and no one I know or have any desire to impress can see me. The flaps are truly wonderful to have, one simply has to be self-confident/cold enough to employ them. When I am alone those flaps tend to come down pretty fast!

Bilodeau I strongly recommend them. It can be difficult to find seal products online but I wanted to support the industry. They offer the same products as one of their competitors, but for around $60 dollars less. Given that the competitor even uses the same images as them I doubt the quality is very different from that Newfoundland based competitor.

They do have a relatively limited variety of styles of hats however, I opted for the black RCMP one. I have received nothing but compliments since getting it, it is really quite popular. Unfortunately no one has ever given me an opportunity to discuss what fur it is.

Appreciate the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot