Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

“Back” Waistcoats

ader

New in Town
Hi all, I recently got this nice waistcoat from Walker Slater:

https://www.walkerslater.com/edward-tweed-back-waistcoat

As someone who doesn’t wear suit jackets I much prefer my waistcoats to have a regular cloth / non-shiny back like this one.

I’m having trouble locating alternatives to this grey one, so I thought I’d ask here if anyone has any other ideas of places to find some? (I have bought some cheap ones from China on Amazon - but would like more in the level of quality of WS).

I’ve considered a custom one from https://www.harristweedshop.com but some reviews I’ve read have put me off somewhat, especially given their return policy.

A.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This style of waistcoat looks pretty naff sans jacket, because it's not really designed to be worn as such. Sometimes in something like a melton or tweed it can be fine (though even then it's designed to accompany something like a mackinaw or field coat).

I would suggest opening up your search to include more purpose built waistcoats, which you'll see listed as gilet by most of the British markers; these generally have finished backs and don't give off the waiter look when coatless.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Hi all, I recently got this nice waistcoat from Walker Slater:

https://www.walkerslater.com/edward-tweed-back-waistcoat

I’m having trouble locating alternatives to this grey one, so I thought I’d ask here if anyone has any other ideas of places to find some? (I have bought some cheap ones from China on Amazon - but would like more in the level of quality of WS).

A.
Have you looked to see if there's someone who could make you a bespoke one? My wife doesn't do dressmaking for a living but she certainly knows her way around a sewing machine. She has made many a special for friends and family.

Waistcoats come in all sorts of guises. Rarely do you see them worn with evening dress. When I found it difficult to find an appropriate dress waistcoat the lady came up trumps:
waistcoats 002.JPG waistcoats 004.JPG

But I must share an amusing waistcoat story. For a 1950's themed party, held at a large venue which had a ballroom dance floor, my lady made me the ultimate 1950's shirt and waistcoat. It's a pastiche of course, I doubt anyone around in the 50's saw anything like it, but did it garner a few compliments that evening.

50's rock 'n' roll 001.JPG 50's rock 'n' roll 003.JPG
50's rock 'n' roll 005.JPG

ader

New in Town
This style of waistcoat looks pretty naff sans jacket,

Personal taste I guess. Last wedding I was at all the guys were wearing satin backed waistcoats (all buttons fastened) with no jackets and I thought they looked pretty naff ;)

If I can’t find other good quality retailers that do cloth backs then I’ll resort to looking for a tailor.

Aloysius

I would also say that this is a matter of taste. I also occasionally look for waistcoats like the one the OP is looking for because I think they're pretty cool. I only have this one and it also has the satin back.
View attachment 606948

Yours is tweed, like I was saying. Plus you have a jacket nearby!

Where it looks very weird is when it's a very obvious dressy suit fabric; then it just looks like a waiter uniform.

ader

New in Town
Yours is tweed, like I was saying. Plus you have a jacket nearby!

Where it looks very weird is when it's a very obvious dressy suit fabric; then it just looks like a waiter uniform.

I kind of understand where you’re coming from but no-one would ever suspect me of being a waiter with my sleeve tattoos and the rest of my clothes ;)

I remembered I’d found this one which I was thinking of customising if only the reviews were better:

Personally I don’t think anyone would think the chap in those photos was a waiter either.

Aloysius

Most waiters I see these days are heavily tattooed.

Bartender Edit: For the attention of all - this post is just a convenient place to plant it, as the end of any useful exchange on this particular issue:

There, please, let's call time on this, and not derail the threat with a difference of opinions. The lovely thing about opinions is we can all have one, and they don't have to be the same. And let's all remember that sometimes the tone in which we read things is not necessarily the tone in which they were written, and take a deep breath before biting back. Now, as you were!

Last edited by a moderator:

Aloysius

Perfectly reasonable pruning by the bartenders, I would just restate then that some decent options are Filson or any other western-wear makers if one is open to melton wool, which suits these quite well (as I said earlier); likewise, Sugar Cane, Fullcount among other Japanese makers have beach cloth and twill waistcoats with same-fabric backs, again designed for such wear.

ader

New in Town
Thanks for the relevant pointers.

I wish Pike did waistcoats with lapels - I really like the black Moleskin one of theirs I have.

I’m particularly looking for tweed waistcoats like the two mentioned in my original post, so summoning up the courage to order one from harristweedshop.com; their spring sale offer might just swing it for me…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner