Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

“Bones” Racing Jackets

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
It seems that ABC Leathers also made the “Captain America” jacket for Peter Fonda in Easy Rider.

https://nwhog.wordpress.com/tag/abc-leathers/
I just watched Easy Rider again last night (after 30 years or so), and was wondering if Fonda's jacket was a Bates. Wanted to ask you @handymike, but you answered my question before it was asked. That is a new high water mark at TFL if you ask me - answering questions before they are asked!!!

ABC Leathers

https://etsy.me/3AHerzh

3A76ED40-F6C0-4E07-BEF0-CAF623E02A97.jpeg

5BC51FD4-E2A4-484A-A33A-A3E68AE4A9F5.jpeg

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Here is the back:
View attachment 363552
View attachment 363551
I’m not sure it is for sale, but if anyone wants the number, give me a PM.

what a cool guy Peal is! It seems to be my size too if it's too small for you lol but the sleeves seem quite long for my short self

That's a theory that's so far been considered most legit, yeah. The jacket has that certain Bates look but it's clearly not Bates. It's obvious Bates incorporated ABC into their products. I don't know much about ABC Leathers and haven't seen that many of their jackets online but what I have seen was like highest quality stuff you can hope to buy.

I'm still amazed with how well they've made the bones on the first jacket you posted. It's nuts!

There's this Schott being sold elsewhere that I often admire 'cause someone did a fantastic job painting bones over it but having them made in leather with an equal success is... Cannot be touched.

1602461374.jpeg

1601944810.jpeg
the back design looks perfect, looks so good

Cartoon

New in Town
MIke,
Do you still have the suit you picked up in Winslow. Would love to here the story of its origins. How much would you want for it?

I am in Winslow AZ, and I came across an original “Bones” racing suit (jacket and pants). I am told this one is by ABC Leathers out of Southern California, and it pre-dates the Bates version. I got into a long conversation with the owner about the story behind the Bates/ Vanson battle and fallout, but this earlier version is incredible! You all are lucky it is too small for me or I would be forced to post a fit-pic.
View attachment 363433
View attachment 363432

Cartoon

New in Town
MIke,
Do you still have the suit you picked up in Winslow. Would love to here the story of its origins. How much would you want for it?
Hey mike, wondering if you still have the suit, I have a buddy who’s into Vanson leather history and he’s love to have something closer to the original of these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW