Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1.21 gigawatts -- today!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Today is the date that Marty and Doc Brown arrived in 2015 from 1985 in the second Back to the Future film!

Where's my Mr. Fusion????

(No, it's not a Golden Era movie. But the original is 30 years old -- as old as the Bela Lugosi Dracula was when I first saw it in the early Sixties. A 40-year-old film, then, would have been a silent; but a 40-year-old flick now is Jaws.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We're showing the original tonite, and have a 1981 DeLorean parked out on the sidewalk. Like most DeLoreans, it doesn't run and has a hole the size of a silver dollar in the muffler, hasn't been registered since 2002, and it doesn't have a flux capacitor. But it's got a radar detector!

delorean.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
The thing I loved and still love about the original was that it was a vehicle (pun gleefully intended) for some barbs about our society in the mid-Eighties. So often in time travel stories (I'm looking at you, Peggy Sue Got Married), the time traveler quietly sniffs at the "backwards" people he encounters in the previous time. (E.g., "These people didn't even have the Beatles!") In contrast, Marty is the odd man out at every turn: trying to order a Tab or a Pepsi Free in 1955, being looked at strangely when he comments that a Honeymooners episode (being run for the first time in '55) is a classic, having his CK-labeled underwear taken as his name, and more.

On top of that, Michael J. Fox's performance as Marty enlivened the whole thing. Like Cary Grant, he was an actor who worked with his whole body.

I dragged my mother, then 69 years old and no SF fan, to see the film in '85, and she enjoyed it quite a bit.

Marty: "Heavy!"

Doc Brown: "There must be something different about the gravity in the future!"

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
It remains as one of my favorite film trilogies of all time. Yeah, the 3rd movie was jumping the shark a wee bit, but it was still fun. i'm just glad that the clothes we have in real 2015 are better than the movie version of 2015. I get that they were trying to make everything look futuristic and different, but the clothes came across as cheesy even when the 2nd film was released in 1989 (imo). Except I do wish men's pants had an automatic fitting device like Marty's future jacket, so that the sagging jeans trend could end!

We're showing the original tonite, and have a 1981 DeLorean parked out on the sidewalk. Like most DeLoreans, it doesn't run and has a hole the size of a silver dollar in the muffler, hasn't been registered since 2002, and it doesn't have a flux capacitor. But it's got a radar detector!

View attachment 36894

You can actually buy "new" DeLoreans. There is a company here in Houston that will build you a car out of unused factory parts.

View attachment 36894
I drove one once in the mid-1980s. It was truly one of the worst cars I've ever driven.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24