Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2015 Stetson Excellent Quality GREEN THIN RIBBON (Preview & Review)

Tattooed Lopez

New in Town
I'm not 100% sure on the name of the Excellent, I know it's not the Temple, but the Excellent's name for the crown is called, "New York Open Crown." The open crown is 5 1/2, and the brim is 2 5/8 wide. I own two of the Stetson's Pinnacle fedora's, and several other hats by various companies. The Excellent's felt is by far superior....

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Um, you realize a CD is just a re-branded Open Road, right?

Akubra kept the Better dimensions (almost 6" Open Crown and 2.88" Brim) , Stetson OR (modern anyway) are 5" Open Crown and 2 3/4" Brim , but BOY ! I would have loved to have gotten my hands on a Royal (?) Quality Open Crown OR (I guess that was part of the 150th Anniversary thing) (too Bad they didn't keep them going) .

I'd like to get a Excellent Quality Stetsonian or Strat , maybe Whippet or Racine , or New Yorker , they look NICE !

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I'm not 100% sure on the name of the Excellent, I know it's not the Temple, but the Excellent's name for the crown is called, "New York Open Crown." The open crown is 5 1/2, and the brim is 2 5/8 wide. I own two of the Stetson's Pinnacle fedora's, and several other hats by various companies. The Excellent's felt is by far superior....
that would be the Stetson New York
very nice hat

see it here on pg 2

http://www.hat-co.com/perch//resources/f16dresscatalog326.pdf

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, that was my thought....a nice custom plus a month of eating at McDonalds
After eating at McDonald's for a month you'd be sporting a burial shroud. I really like that blue, though, and was wondering if Cane Rod Maker (now AlleyKatCo) could do one. Unfortunately, Gannon, like Hatco, doesn't make them in my size.
Btw, is Matt still with Hatco? I haven't heard from him in quite some time.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
After eating at McDonald's for a month you'd be sporting a burial shroud. I really like that blue, though, and was wondering if Cane Rod Maker (now AlleyKatCo) could do one. Unfortunately, Gannon, like Hatco, doesn't make them in my size.
Btw, is Matt still with Hatco? I haven't heard from him in quite some time.

I don't think he is . Matt posted a thread , pretty much saying he was moving on for whatever reason , but he hoped he influenced the Dress Hat Division in a way (he really Did !) that will continue . If you look for the Thread , you'll see it . How Big is your Noggin ?

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Akubra kept the Better dimensions (almost 6" Open Crown and 2.88" Brim) , Stetson OR (modern anyway) are 5" Open Crown and 2 3/4" Brim , but BOY ! I would have loved to have gotten my hands on a Royal (?) Quality Open Crown OR (I guess that was part of the 150th Anniversary thing) (too Bad they didn't keep them going) .

I'd like to get a Excellent Quality Stetsonian or Strat , maybe Whippet or Racine , or New Yorker , they look NICE !

That was Royal Deluxe Quality OR , I remember now . ^^^ Sorry !

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't think he is . Matt posted a thread , pretty much saying he was moving on for whatever reason , but he hoped he influenced the Dress Hat Division in a way (he really Did !) that will continue . If you look for the Thread , you'll see it . How Big is your Noggin ?
7 7/8. I can kind of wear a 7 3/4, but after about 15 minutes I have to take it off. Thanks for the info about Matt.

Brent gave me a modern Stetson Strat Excellent quality from about 2015 or so. I refurbished it and upsized it to a 7 3/8". Wanted to resurrect this thread and give my opinion. Firstly, let me say I am not a Stetson guy. I have owned a few over the years...none grail quality. The nicest I have are 2 modern 150th anniversary Stetsonians that I have kept as the felt is quite nice.
Wanted to review this Excellent quality and see if others have opinions to share. I love this hat. Great colour (Sage) but lots of brown in it so it is not overtly 'green'...more like Forest floor brown, if that makes sense. The felt is soft to the hand yet has substance. Does not require steam to bash, takes the bash easily and it stays as bashed with spritz or steam.
Can anyone attest to the beaver content of the felt?

The hat has my usual bitches about Stetson. Glued in liners, cheap ribbon, cheap leather in the sweat.....I would expect more/better from a $300+ plus hat. But the winning feature is def the felt itself.
CIMG0124.JPG
CIMG0126.JPG

I washed, reblocked and sewed in a new sweat as the original sweat was toast. Left the ribbon as original ....... too lazy to replace both the ribbon and the brim binding plus the colour works really well.
Any other Excellent Grade Stetson owners out there that would like to chime in?

Brent gave me a modern Stetson Strat Excellent quality from about 2015 or so. I refurbished it and upsized it to a 7 3/8". Wanted to resurrect this thread and give my opinion. Firstly, let me say I am not a Stetson guy. I have owned a few over the years...none grail quality. The nicest I have are 2 modern 150th anniversary Stetsonians that I have kept as the felt is quite nice.
Wanted to review this Excellent quality and see if others have opinions to share. I love this hat. Great colour (Sage) but lots of brown in it so it is not overtly 'green'...more like Forest floor brown, if that makes sense. The felt is soft to the hand yet has substance. Does not require steam to bash, takes the bash easily and it stays as bashed with spritz or steam.
Can anyone attest to the beaver content of the felt?

The hat has my usual bitches about Stetson. Glued in liners, cheap ribbon, cheap leather in the sweat.....I would expect more/better from a $300+ plus hat. But the winning feature is def the felt itself.
View attachment 364203 View attachment 364204
I washed, reblocked and sewed in a new sweat as the original sweat was toast. Left the ribbon as original ....... too lazy to replace both the ribbon and the brim binding plus the colour works really well.
Any other Excellent Grade Stetson owners out there that would like to chime in?

Looks good, Robert. To me, the felt on this hat felt more like western dress weight felt. More like old 3X or even 7XCB. The felt on my Stetson New York LE in phantom grey is much thinner and lighter and more easily creased…more like dress felt. It’s my understanding that all of the “Excellent” hats were 100% beaver, but the New York LE hats are marked “Pure Beaver” and your Excellent Stratoliner wasn’t.

Looks good, Robert. To me, the felt on this hat felt more like western dress weight felt. More like old 3X or even 7XCB. The felt on my Stetson New York LE in phantom grey is much thinner and lighter and more easily creased…more like dress felt. It’s my understanding that all of the “Excellent” hats were 100% beaver, but the New York LE hats are marked “Pure Beaver” and your Excellent Stratoliner wasn’t.
Yes, somewhere between Dress & Western perhaps? It feels about the weight of a Winchester beaver but softer and more malleable. Overall I really like the hat and it will go into my regular rotation. Now I have to keep my eyes open for the Sasquatch of Stetsons....the NY LE!.....so I can compare.

Yes, I've long touted my excellent quality Fortune and Glory. Whatever they were doing with that felt was fantastic and I would put up with their ribbon work if they kept making hats that good.

Those Fortune and Glory hats are hens teeth! I’ve been looking for a few years and recall only seeing one and it was much too small for me. Maybe someday?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner