Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$1,400 Fedora??

J.B.

Practically Family
EricH said:
...Maybe take advantage of some of the specialties of the Northwest, say a classic fedora made from a 3X Sasquatch pelt (who could prove otherwise), lined with a soft jackalope sweat band (they're real aren't they)...

Whoa -- talk about obscure felt?! I've always had my eye out for a fedora made from chupacabra pelage. :D

When I find it, I'm going to call it "The Chupadora." :cool2:

beatola

New in Town
I have a feeling that hat wasn't specifically made to be sold but to get kangols name out there. It's to get the attention of the guy out there who thinks he is hip...."Wow a $1400 Kangol hat. It must be high quality.. I can't afford $1400 but now I think I might buy a $50 knit cap kangol."

It's been over a year and this thread is still going, so I'd say it worked.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Why?

TaxMan1 said:
Anyone been to Paul's in San Francisco? His custom hats start
at $1500.00

I had this explained by a professional painter who thought me painting. Really wealthy artists and artisans calculate the cost of a single item they produce this way:

Costs of an elegant lifestyle matching their clientele -a billionaire doesn’t goes to a shack, paying ALL taxes – not the Andersen Consulting way, since they try to remain 'in the biz' the next centuries too!!!!, rentals, paying employees who BTW who can not live on subhuman levels either (this is where I am ready to go until ad hominem level against anyone who does this), brand-name costs, show to be delivered in a representative surrounding on a shopping mile, 5***** hotel etc., etc. ALL THIS DIVIDED by amounts of any produce (this case custom hats) you are normally selling per year.
This resulting unit price hasn't got ANYTHING to do with the raw materials prices or the workhours of the master. This is how prices are calculated at up-market. Kangol was never upmarket if I'm correct so I second here Beatola.

It is not compulsory to become an up-market producer’s client. There are copies and reproductions – at affordable prices.

This was traditionally…when it was a shame to go for high-society people to hunt for bargains (the elite had to maintain their sellers lifestandards that way - it sucks when a king buys from a beggar-makes him also to a 'Schnorrer' just to bypass high-class and high priced manufacturers. The very poor did buy from the very poor sellers with poor quality and low prices - while EVERYTHING was handmade)- now it is chic for all to save bucks.:eek:fftopic: Kali-yuga business seems to rock nowadays: everything is turned upside down, companies like to bypass the own labor market substituting it with third world low-wage slave labor, ‘forget’ paying taxes, and ‘forget’ to tell their clientele that they aren’t anymore ‘artisans’ or even ‘made in USA’ or made in whatever but 'Made in sweatshop'… if only the re-labelling plus some senior management administration is done at home this is not the same – this is castrating domestic job safety and killing basic human values in business that is solidarity and honesty…
I like the most when those ‘movers of the world’ come around to buy stuff bypassing high prices and wonder why they don’t receive Quality at another producer (because they are doing the same).

Lowering prices is possible only to a certain extent – from a certain point it can be done only through ‘inhuman’ things; the growth tick is clearly visible also in sports: without doping nobody can surpass records year by year.

De-humanized Homo sapiens makes crap both in the US – it fears job loss- or China – works for minimum wages. The same goes for the rest of the world I just listed the current two competing superpowers.

IT, telecom, multimedia and internet won’t help here – getting back to normal life would - utopia.
That is why I really respect custom makers and fair companies WORLDWIDE that are brave enough to try to resist this immense pressure – get more money even at the price of dehumanization.

Too brutal? Remember Bathory Elizabeth, Lecter, Tepes came from that 'great deep south' part of the world too...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace