Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$10,000 VISVIM Jacket

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
the way somepart of the leather looks shrivelled it involved hot water washing, seems like it has been dipped into a hot water bath while holding the cuff and waist band off the water

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’ve seen those YouTube videos where they take jeans and sand and process them to look distressed, I can picture the same exact thing. A huge pile of these $10k jackets stacked up waiting to be sanded down and tossed into another pile.

No way they are doing what makers here like Field Leather does on his video clips, taking their time with super slow stitching, one jacket at a time, looking and studying it hanging on a mannequin deciding how to attach the sleeves for fit and function and rotation.

Eh, the jacket looks terrible but they probably are constructing high end jackets and then putting them through a heavy distressing, which probably costs as much as making the jacket did. I doubt Visvim makes enough of these to have a huge pile.

This isn't me defending the hideous jacket, but this isn't the only time this has been the case. For instance, LVC and RRL used to have a workshop in Kentucky do intensive hand distressing, patching etc of repro denim to genuinely look like a historical item. There's craft that goes into it, even though the product wasn't for me (though in retrospect I do wish I had gotten one of those pairs of repro jeans, which I wouldn't say for this jacket.)

To think @tmitchell59 and me could've gotten at least $5K for each of these jackets...

MchCK2qCQoou6DclD8c5KUzxmopIWX0xoWygN5h7NVmAML3BtCga6zJmzZEV5RZBWJdUbbwAlS9oGKRkJKkVT7d_0nQv0cl4uzb4S55OrLdmVP-rGyKCa5G-DzT5pw_baybIRzQZHGtJbU3c5gh8EiF3XPKcLU2A5T-VXjeRIDx11fs-laIoL2-RNiEcaQf2pS986apXU8IYkhrXEQM32c-tuMQ2mZ0yt05NACZE3Y8RQWIXgCPjSuRC0NU-YZhQ9nFH-9uMxp0RFd7KrKyNiR5JCOWQ5MNDWq_CUFgDqb3fYIj14CA0l1AWohvFSKd-f_6fZEBiXA7EJIWnfTDDORgY27wKi_hHM2iJDVTA6s8sNTnL9aphy6yllT0x1DcQ-BftRwkDz4ErdfW9UvjnoLovnhj2uHY_QnuKBfF5Oae0sLOUmMNI9f68kO4UkzK2YCJZorETS17Oone2_xOdp31uhZ2EkNSpaPEYMBkUie6OHG3ff8zp13PGA9_huQiA2Z_IWnRFttUDoQY_MggqZYjPHw6fGC2uJDfPgz3_b_CYKJNhQIlsye3Evgpm1Meh1XQGbTQojzVpPi0LDK1WgPTWY-p-kxiVEXaK2VviIt0CK4GhDSnwdIw7XzrFM-dG3omumstmrxXuEvpxBRQ5DPJXWW1hldjxmQ=w969-h643-no

dsc02060-jpg.267530

IMG_20180616_145119.jpg

Mich486

One Too Many
I wonder why anybody is surprised by these jackets and their pricing… is it because S&S are selling them? In a way I see how that shop has shifted a bit from their initial ethos (selling expensive items but with high intrinsic quality? That obviously can’t be the case with Visvim…) but it’s pure fashion people… like SLP etc etc no difference in my eyes. It leaves me cold tbh. From an aesthetic point of view I still prefer this Visvim jacket that some tacky looking Gucci/Versace or whatever those brands turned into. As for the $10k I’m sure nobody who buys that jacket is saving up for that or turning their heating down to afford it so it’s all good… expensive toys for rich kids!

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I now present to you the Visvim A2 that violated most of us on this forum some 10 years ago!

visvim 2012 a2.jpg

FFS, this A-2 from 2012 even looks good in comparison to......

I always thought that Visvim is already a bit out of fashion, literally, but they always come back with things to amaze (amuse) us even more. Oh by the way, is the baggy sleeves and large arm openings of the 80s' coming back in fashion once again?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
RRL sells a sh*t load of the patchwork junk from western shirts to hand knit sweaters and I don't get it either. This shirt sold out @ $595.
View attachment 472929
this is somewhat looks a bit good, compared to that full hobo look from kapital, there is balance in pattern repetition in this one, but I think if you wear something like this then the rest of your clothes must look pristine or minimalist

I grew up having clothes patched out of necessity. Didn't like it then and I'm not about to drop money on it now. I've accumulated a closet full of RRL and not a single patch. It's like paying for poverty.

Damon141

Practically Family
I wanted to say something about anyone buying this jacket is an idiot but you're actually 100% right on this; They're not an idiot - They're an asshole. Every single thing on Standard and Strange (and Clutch Cafe) looks as if it is made by assholes, for assholes.

I mean, who the HELL would buy these shoes!? I swear to God, my grandma had the exact same pair.
rdt-FargoCenterZipBoot-BlackGoatskin-Flat-09_2000x.jpg
These are from Etsy
0C7A2900-8B9C-475C-A98E-2435A65CA031.png
0C7A2900-8B9C-475C-A98E-2435A65CA031.png

dwilson

A-List Customer
Kapital and Visvim have always been insanely expensive for a very niche aesthetic (though I do think some Kapital looks dope.) Not sure why anyone is surprised.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I know absolutely nothing about this jacket or any of the brands mentioned in this thread, but I just couldn't help but notice that this jacket looks like a burnt hot dog.

A crispy charred black hot dog is exactly what this reminds me of.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wonder why anybody is surprised by these jackets and their pricing… is it because S&S are selling them? In a way I see how that shop has shifted a bit from their initial ethos (selling expensive items but with high intrinsic quality? That obviously can’t be the case with Visvim…) but it’s pure fashion people… like SLP etc etc no difference in my eyes. It leaves me cold tbh. From an aesthetic point of view I still prefer this Visvim jacket that some tacky looking Gucci/Versace or whatever those brands turned into. As for the $10k I’m sure nobody who buys that jacket is saving up for that or turning their heating down to afford it so it’s all good… expensive toys for rich kids!

Standard & Strange’s “Buy fewer, better things” slogan has always been marketing, and frankly absurd marketing to me. What a strange slogan to attach to your attempts to get people to buy unnecessary things!

This is nothing new for them; this is just an example that’s more obvious to point to. In fact there are few shops less defined by the veblen effect than S&S, in my book. Virtually every item is marked up considerably compared to its normal price, even the products from their close business partner Simmons Bilt are doubled in price. (Leaving aside SB‘s own dodgy past.) The staff try to use politics and “ethics” to guilt-trip people into shopping there–and it works quite well judging by some of my Bay Area friends who would essentially give half their paychecks to S&S until they had a wakeup call.

(On the contrary, in my case, hearing them boast that they use their shop profits for politics ensured that I would not spend a penny there.)

I grew up having clothes patched out of necessity. Didn't like it then and I'm not about to drop money on it now. I've accumulated a closet full of RRL and not a single patch. It's like paying for poverty.

The patchwork RRL shirts aren’t simulating patched torn shirts. If anything they’re emulating a quilt.

It has quite a history in the tailoring world, though usually this was done with bold checked tweeds for country clothing–call it a high tailoring precedent for camo. They’re just applying that effect to a lighter, summer cloth.

None of my RRL is patchwork either but I would consider one of these shirts or the patchwork wool coat, once on sale. I do have a couple of patchwork cotton summer ties that I love.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
no clothing company would survive the moto of minimalist wardrobe, after they sell their customer the best strongest jeans that will last a decade or more in urban activity, or triple stitched horsebutt boots that should last 3x lifetime... then what? if not trying to sell them t-shirt that will deteriorate normally but priced 4x normal tees

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
This is really an old topic in new disguise: What´s the "value" of anything? How is "value" to be transferred into pricing?

I try to wear clothing without a brand lettering (other than my Lewis Leathers, of course...:)) most of the time. At the same time I am weary of justifying (or even explaining) WHY I buy/waer/like a piece of kit in the first place. It´s juts my personal preferences, right?!

Small story: Late summer, I was visiting the dutch coast at Zandvoort and spotted a ballcap that I liked. I carried it to the cashier only to learn that it was meant to be sold for EUR 200. Both myself AND the shop assistant had a good laugh at that. He assured me that they were selling 3-5 caps like that every week during the summer season. Mind you: It did look great though...

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Small story: Late summer, I was visiting the dutch coast at Zandvoort and spotted a ballcap that I liked. I carried it to the cashier only to learn that it was meant to be sold for EUR 200. Both myself AND the shop assistant had a good laugh at that. He assured me that they were selling 3-5 caps like that every week during the summer season. Mind you: It did look great though...
Did it feature a G letter pattern? :p

1671199784707.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran