Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

11 yr. old takes down 1,000 lb. pig

Hmmm... these things also tend to be spurred by the fact that wild boars are very difficult to kill, typically it takes a minimum weapon of either 10mm or hot-loaded .45 caliber to drop one with a handgun (thick skin and thicker skull--sound like anyone here?lol ). Doesn't help that even a small boar's still capable of doing a heap o' hurt on ya...

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
It's not just the recoil. These are pretty heavy, even for me and I shoot a .44 Magnum. I doubt an 11 year old could hold the thing steady enough to hit what he was aiming at. Also, I think I recall this story making the rounds a couple years ago...

Story

I'll Lock Up
staggerwing said:
It's not just the recoil. These are pretty heavy, even for me and I shoot a .44 Magnum. I doubt an 11 year old could hold the thing steady enough to hit what he was aiming at. Also, I think I recall this story making the rounds a couple years ago...

You didn't read the story - this is a second huge wild hog. From the photo caption -

If claims of the animal's size are true, it would be larger than ``Hogzilla,'' the huge hog killed in Georgia in 2004. (Melynne Stone/AP Photo)

The boy was with his (armed) father and two (armed) guides, fired 8 rounds over the course of three hours of tracking the animal.

Feraud said:
I doubt an 11 year old is experienced enough to effectively use a .50 cal handgun..

Alot of 11 year olds in Africa have been mowing each other down with AK47s for the last decade or so. [huh]

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
It's all fake, lies, fraud. Sorry.

Next up, giant feral lolcats...

wuz-dat-noisez-i-wetted-mah-bedz-againz.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Apples and oranges. :)

Same lethal fruit basket, although I'd agree with any implication that one or more of the eight bullet holes may not be from that .50 cal pistol.

Somebody call C.S.I. Alabama. :p

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Cacklewack said:
Beaucaillou didn't believe me when I told her about the giant pig! :eusa_doh:

Matt

You people are hilarious! I should have posted this a lot sooner!

I don't know anything about guns and so have no merit saying whether the child was capable or not, but I'd imagine that if the kid had been shooting since a very young age and guns are a way of life for his family... isn't it fesible?

Ccklwck: I didn't believe you!
I still don't know if I do! ;)

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
beaucaillou said:
... but I'd imagine that if the kid had been shooting since a very young age and guns are a way of life for his family... isn't it fesible? ...

There's no reason to doubt that an 11 year old could effectively shoot a .50 cal pistol. I was brought up hunting and shooting, and so were my two sons. Both of my boys were exceptionally good shots way before 11 years old.

As to the hog: I've seen a number of 1000 + pound hogs (domestic, not feral). Although most wild hogs I've seen have been in the 100 to 200 pound range, I don't doubt that a feral hog could reach that weight. The picture, however, appears to have been doctored or at least shot in a way as to make the hog look disproportionately larger than the boy.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Big Man said:
There's no reason to doubt that an 11 year old could effectively shoot a .50 cal pistol. I was brought up hunting and shooting, and so were my two sons. Both of my boys were exceptionally good shots way before 11 years old.

As to the hog: I've seen a number of 1000 + pound hogs (domestic, not feral). Although most wild hogs I've seen have been in the 100 to 200 pound range, I don't doubt that a feral hog could reach that weight. The picture, however, appears to have been doctored or at least shot in a way as to make the hog look disproportionately larger than the boy.

I do agree that from the photo the pig looks to be far more than 1,000 lbs.

I wonder if there are photos of the valid one killed last year? 'Hogzilla.' Hmm...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda