Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1890 and 1920 Montgomery Ward catalogs

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Foofoogal said:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=34987&page=20

you asked. ;) Care to see if there is anything remotely like my bib collar of mesh metal towards end or middle of pg. 20 on this thread. My photos have the bib turned backwards. Possibly Whiting and Davis?

Sure, I'll take a look. I have these stored together, and the 1920 one is falling apart, so I'll be getting them out periodically, taking photos, then putting away again.

I will probably create a folder on my server for each catalog, and store higher-res images there...along with the index pages from the actual catalogs. Once I have this set up, I'll provide a link and you all can check it periodically for updates if you're interested.

Stan

A-List Customer
Front Pinch

Hi,

I've always thought that the front pinch came about as an accident of soldiers handling their hats by the crown. I've seen many a pre-1900 photo where only a few soldiers sport a front pinch on their covers, whilst the majority have no dents at all, just the center crease.

Well, given that a hat was just another piece of kit, a few oddball hat shapes would make a certain amount of sense. It was likely that the style of cover used at the time was intentionally left open to a soldier's interpretation.

With a trend from stiffer hats to softer ones, perhaps the front pinch just came about from those that handled their hats by the crowns and not the brims. Maybe it wasn't all that deliberate.

Once a few hats had front pinches instead of side dents and actually looked good to someone else, then we'd have more front pinches. Until most hats sported the look.

Personally, I've reshaped many a side dent into a front pinch because I like the front pinch look better. ;)

later!

Stan

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Stan said:
Hi,

I've always thought that the front pinch came about as an accident of soldiers handling their hats by the crown. I've seen many a pre-1900 photo where only a few soldiers sport a front pinch on their covers, whilst the majority have no dents at all, just the center crease.

Well, given that a hat was just another piece of kit, a few oddball hat shapes would make a certain amount of sense. It was likely that the style of cover used at the time was intentionally left open to a soldier's interpretation.

With a trend from stiffer hats to softer ones, perhaps the front pinch just came about from those that handled their hats by the crowns and not the brims. Maybe it wasn't all that deliberate.

Once a few hats had front pinches instead of side dents and actually looked good to someone else, then we'd have more front pinches. Until most hats sported the look.

Personally, I've reshaped many a side dent into a front pinch because I like the front pinch look better. ;)

later!

Stan

That's a real good theory. Could also be that male civilians picked up on that and used the front-pinch to convey a more 'manly' appearance.

Stan said:

That's what I was thinkin'. Much as we've been cautioned against it, handling hats by the crown seems the more "natural" method.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
1890 Wards covers

I've replaced the 1890 hat pages with scanned pics, and here's the front and back covers:

1890Front.jpg

1890Back.jpg

JJ Katz

Familiar Face
After all these years still fascinated by the fact that nearly all hats are just called "hat", without all the faux precise terminology that began as hats were on the wane. The vanity of small differences indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff