Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1900-1930 forums?

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
This may have been asked before (I couldn't find it), but does anyone know if there are any forums out there dedicated to the period of say, 1900 to 1930 American history and culture...much like the FL, I mean?

I know topics in The Lounge generally encompasses the "golden age" of 1930s-1950s (sometimes delving into older eras), but I was curious if anyone has any info on vintage historical discussion forums....the years of 1910 through 1930 are particularly interesting to me, also...there doesn't seem to be much available (to my cursory research, anyway). :)
Rob

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, we certainly cover the 20's pretty well. The more I explore 20th century history, the more I realize that the great division of pre and post 1920 is artificial. Yes, there was a great post war cultural shift, what with Prohibition and all, but I think there was a lot more continuity right from the 1890's through the 20's than is realized. Certainly men's fashion evolved at a very gradual rate. And in terms of social mores, there change in the 20's was not quite as abrupt as it may seem to us today. The main changes were hemlines and Prohibition.
So what I'm getting at is, as far as I'm concerned these years are legit areas of interest here. (But I'm not a bartender, so . . . )
I think there are just fewer people who appreciate the period, and there is less material to examine. There are photos and literature, but very little film, and before 1920, not as many musical recordings.
The one place I find lots of stuff from this era is good old www.shorpy.com. But that's only photographs.
Anyway, I guess my point is that I for one would welcome the inclusion of those earlier decades here.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
So basically we're saying that the Edwardian Age is in the ball park.
I suspect there is a feeling that that time period is not included because of the long skirts women wore. That's one of those unconscious distinctions that make the pre 20th cenury era seem so distant. That and the automobile.
If you look at Shorpy.com inmages regularly you'll see how suddenly automobiles took over America between 1913 and 1918.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Nathan Flowers said:
1900-1930 is absolutely germane here.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess the biggest caveat is as dhermann1 said: There isn't a huge interest-base in this era, and the info available is sketchy, at best.

I'll just keep plugging along here in my research, looking for little jewels of historical tidbits...it's part of the thrill of the hunt! ;)
Rob

Feraud

Bartender
Take it upon yourself to start threads covering particular eras of interest.
Someone needs to be the catalyst and begin the discussion.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
I too am interested in that time period - because of my interest in WWI U-Boats (if one wants to understand things in WWII with them they need to read about them in WWI), definitely the 1920s (some reasons obvious - flappers), but also I like to read about Germany's maritime during that time frame...the Cape Horn ships and passenger ships.

I'm also reading what I can on Weimar Germany - I'm enjoying the 'journey' down that path, because much of what involves WWII, is wrapped up in Germany's earlier history (and not just immediate post WWI and the Weimar Republic).

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
:::raises hand:::

There may be more interest than you think....speaking for my lurker self, I'd love to read threads about the Edwardian era!

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Mods: What's the protocol for having an era-specific thread section added to the FL, just so folks could go to that area for garnering/posting information?

Or, is it a major undertaking?

In the interest of keeping moderation/administration duties to a minimum, I'm talking about a broad era designation, say the years 1900 to 1929 (and not a lot of smaller, year-specific break-downs)?
Rob

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
How many threads would currently fit in such an area? It's a fairly rare occurrence when we add a separate forum, and the times we have, it's been because there were a preponderance of threads related to such an area.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
I understand. :)

I was just curious if a new era-specific thread section would or could become a fertile area in and of itself, a "germ", if you will, that would grow and spread with continued interest from those FL's that have germane data to contribute to it.
Rob

Dan'l

Practically Family
count me in

I would love to learn more about, and discuss, the first half of the 20th century. Documentation for this time period is easier than say the 18th century.

Dan'l

Tiller

Practically Family
Personally I like most of the styles from the late Victorian Era to about 1964. Now idea what you'd call that :p. The Goth's actually have a fair amount of cheap reproductions of certain Edwardian styles... if you don't mind wearing black... and black... with black.:p

conrad5157

One of the Regulars
Bully!

tr3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko