Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1900s Stetson Catalog *reprint

This thread has a good discussion and lays out most of the frame work, though it doesn’t have the price list I was thinking of. I’ll have to dig for that when I’m home:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/stetson-quality-experiment-think-tank.32495/

But both Clear Noot and Clear Beaver (5x & 7x’s w/ the CB badge) are supposed to be the highest quality of each felt, and 100% Noot and CB, respectively.

The differences between pre war 5x and 7x’s are still a mystery, as we collectively haven’t had a prewar 7x pass through these parts. Vic, Alan & myself have 5x CBs, and they are outstanding hats and felt quality. Would love to put hands on a 7x, but until then, there’s a handful of pics on here to drool over too. Ripely’s believe or not founder had the biggest western I’ve ever seen, and it’s a 7x CB to boot! Sold for around $4k several years ago from what I recall.

Was this the price list you were thinking of? I “borrowed” it from Jared some time back. Unfortunately it doesn’t have Clear Nutria.

1689261596672.png

MikeinRome

Practically Family
This thread has a good discussion and lays out most of the frame work, though it doesn’t have the price list I was thinking of. I’ll have to dig for that when I’m home:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/stetson-quality-experiment-think-tank.32495/

But both Clear Noot and Clear Beaver (5x & 7x’s w/ the CB badge) are supposed to be the highest quality of each felt, and 100% Noot and CB, respectively.

The differences between pre war 5x and 7x’s are still a mystery, as we collectively haven’t had a prewar 7x pass through these parts. Vic, Alan & myself have 5x CBs, and they are outstanding hats and felt quality. Would love to put hands on a 7x, but until then, there’s a handful of pics on here to drool over too. Ripely’s believe or not founder had the biggest western I’ve ever seen, and it’s a 7x CB to boot! Sold for around $4k several years ago from what I recall.
I was just looking at logos at the end of the catalog and the logo for Clear Nutria was used for hats costing $36 per dozen and up, while the logo for Real Nutria was used on hats costing $40-some dollars per dozen and up. So this seems like Real Nutria was considered a higher grade than Clear Nutria. $36 per dozen and up is the same price as the Nutria Grade Boss Raw Edge hats mentioned earlier. So does this mean that Nutria Grade and Clear Nutria were one and the same thing and that the Nutria Grade Boss Raw Edge hats were actually Clear Nutria? I'm pretty sure now that I did read a post on the Lounge, perhaps on the Boss of Plains thread?, saying there were 2 early Nutria grades, Clear and Real, and that Real was the higher grade. The 1922 price list that Brent added here also tends to hint that Nutria Grade might be the same thing as Clear Nutria, and shows it cheaper than Real Nutria. We know they were making Clear Nutria hats in the 1920's and before, so why aren't they listed in the price lists and catalogs as such? Well maybe they are, but are hiding behind the designation of Nutria Grade. Looking at the Clear Nutria logo I've attached from the 1901 catalog, the writing below it says that logo was used on soft hats of Nutria Quality ie Nutria Grade.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230713-142539~2.png
    Screenshot_20230713-142539~2.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20230713-142728~2.png
    Screenshot_20230713-142728~2.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

RossRYoung

Practically Family
Not the same one I was thinking of, but I’ll make sure to post it here tonight. Thanks though, Brent.

Mike, what you may be looking at is a smaller dimensions clear Noot hat compared to the more expensive real Noot. Hat prices varied based on the felt type and trimmings, but the list I keep mentioning (and will share again tonight) has both felt qualities and hat dimensions. Clear Noot and Beaver were both top of the heap for cost, compared to the others of Noot and beaver.

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Not the same one I was thinking of, but I’ll make sure to post it here tonight. Thanks though, Brent.

Mike, what you may be looking at is a smaller dimensions clear Noot hat compared to the more expensive real Noot. Hat prices varied based on the felt type and trimmings, but the list I keep mentioning (and will share again tonight) has both felt qualities and hat dimensions. Clear Noot and Beaver were both top of the heap for cost, compared to the others of Noot and beaver.
I might have confused you. I was initially researching and mentioning a 1907 Boss Raw Edge of mine. But later, I happened to mention for a second a 1930's Clear Beaver Austral of mine

RossRYoung

Practically Family
IMG_2508.JPG

That's the one I was thinking of, although no mention of Clear Nutria. It seemed like you were trying to figure out felt qualities and what stood where in a pricing line up.

MikeinRome

Practically Family
View attachment 532300

That's the one I was thinking of, although no mention of Clear Nutria. It seemed like you were trying to figure out felt qualities and what stood where in a pricing line up.
The lack of mention of Clear Nutria seems like more evidence to support the idea that it was being sold under the name of Nutria Quality or Grade.

RossRYoung

Practically Family
The lack of mention of Clear Nutria seems like more evidence to support the idea that it was being sold under the name of Nutria Quality or Grade.

We might not have the precise wording of catalogs to support what I’m saying, but I guarantee Clear Noot is NOT Nutria quality, nor is it Real Noot Quality.

The pricing list I added doesn’t denote ‘clear’ for the beavers either, but as you can see, the 5x and 7x are the most expensive hats. Both of these grades were stamped Clear Beaver with either the more contemporary roundel, or with the older more ornate logo (shown in the catalog on the previous page).

Stetson would not have used the ‘clear’ terminology for their most expensive beaver hats, to turn around and use ‘clear nutria’ for real Noot or nutria quality hats. There were 4 different pre war noots (I had forgotten about the rare 1x Nutrias), and ‘Clear Nutria’ was certainly top of the heap for both quality and price, as it was 100% Nutria fur. All of the other Nutrias will have a blend.

I hope this ‘clears’ it up!

MikeinRome

Practically Family
We might not have the precise wording of catalogs to support what I’m saying, but I guarantee Clear Noot is NOT Nutria quality, nor is it Real Noot Quality.

The pricing list I added doesn’t denote ‘clear’ for the beavers either, but as you can see, the 5x and 7x are the most expensive hats. Both of these grades were stamped Clear Beaver with either the more contemporary roundel, or with the older more ornate logo (shown in the catalog on the previous page).

Stetson would not have used the ‘clear’ terminology for their most expensive beaver hats, to turn around and use ‘clear nutria’ for real Noot or nutria quality hats. There were 4 different pre war noots (I had forgotten about the rare 1x Nutrias), and ‘Clear Nutria’ was certainly top of the heap for both quality and price, as it was 100% Nutria fur. All of the other Nutrias will have a blend.

I hope this ‘clears’ it up!
So did you see what I said about the 1901 catalog where it gives a lower price for Clear Nutria than for Real Nutria? I don't know if that pricing is misleading, but I just know what it says.

Last edited:

RossRYoung

Practically Family
That’s a starting price of per dozen hats, and goes upwards. What I was saying in post #23, I assume this is referring to smaller proportion dress hats, which were also made in Clear Nutria. Real Nutria was probably used on staple shapes and larger, so a bigger felt body than the Clear Nutria starting price point.

MikeinRome

Practically Family
That’s a starting price of per dozen hats, and goes upwards. What I was saying in post #23, I assume this is referring to smaller proportion dress hats, which were also made in Clear Nutria. Real Nutria was probably used on staple shapes and larger, so a bigger felt body than the Clear Nutria starting price point.
Ok, I suppose I'll take your word for it. Understand that I'm not taking any side in this discussion, but just trying to figure out the truth, whatever that is. Originally, I thought Clear Nutria was the highest grade, but then I ran into conflicting information that has confused me.

Last edited:

RossRYoung

Practically Family
Ok, I suppose I'll take your word for it. Understand that I'm not taking any side in this discussion, but just trying to figure out the truth, whatever that is.

That’s what we’re all after! I did say that was an assumption, so hopefully some others could chime in with further clarification? I am but a wee grass hoppa’ compared to others Stetson knowledge on here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran