Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920's New Orleans

Edm1

Familiar Face
My grandfather was born and grew up there. Born in 1907. Lived in the French quarter....where the poor people lived....

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
If you've never been to New Orleans, you must. Culturally, there is simply no other city in the US like it.
I've lived in it most of my life, with a few escapes to other places. Agreed, there is something almost Mediterranean about it in comparison with other US cities (so I understand; I've never been to the Med). Everybody should visit it once, preferably in January or February during the decent weather . . . then flee back home and be happy to have paved streets, left turns permitted at major intersections, and decent summers that don't last for 10 annoyingly sticky months.

The video, however, was cool. I recognized several French Quarter streets near where I grew up, and the Jackson statue in Jackson Square. There's this one from the 1930s too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiheunLTgOs Note that cars could park in front of Jackson Square and St. Louis Cathedral -- the Quarter was much more car-friendly, and resident-friendly, in those days. At 1:27, note the sign for Solari's, the deli at Royal and Iberville where my mother picked up the finest dill pickles I've ever tasted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo