Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s Panama + Art Fawcett

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Sorry I'm so late coming into this thread Gents, I just wanted Marc to take the credit for this find. What a beauty!!! BK, I'd accept your count as in person my guess was ( never counted) between 1800 & 2K weaves psi. This was a particularly sensative hat in that although it's in great shape one never knows what weak spots age might have created so "gently" was running through my head the entire time. I hope to never have to try to explain how your "priceless hat" went away in my fingers so with this level hat I tend to work with my heart in my throat. It is by no means perfect as I only did what the hat allowed ( note the slight crease still in the brim from being folded it's entire life) and needed to not overwork it. Even still I believe this to be one of the finest I've had the priviledge to work on and appreciate that Marc had the confidence to send it to me.
Thank you for all the kind comments Gents, it means alot to me at a time when another hatter trashes me personally and my work on a daily basis for simply speaking the truth that he so vehemently demanded. For those of you that have been affected by the mudslinging please accept my apology even though I have no control over it and please know that this really has nothing to do with hats or workmanship, but rather jealousy and personal vendetta from a man that is truly mentally ill. He is to be pitied.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have been there done that and missed out! You are LUCKY

Marc, what a nice hat. And Art...this is a repeat of the "$ 5" hat on Ebay that I did not bid on because "a straw rolled up for so many years"...blah blah blah. And the hat I lost out on was put on Ebay with horrible pictures. When the guy in the Bay Area bought it and sent it to Graham...remember what Graham said?

Did he ever get the $5000 he wanted for it?:eek:

nulty

One of the Regulars
Art... Amazing job with the Panama.....another link in the chain to be proud of..

Marc.....Great find...it's edifying that you rescued such a piece with a provenance to boot.....you too should be proud....

The restore is an act worthy of respect......

And also Art.....hope you can shake off that other stuff......life is so precious.

:(

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks Nulty, I really DO consider it an honor to work with bodies of this quality and do my best to honor the hat and the person that spent their time weaving it.
As for the "other stuff" it started almost from the moment I announced that I would start designing hats for the public, then escalated when I wouldn't accept the "friendship" being offered (with a price attatched). It's been long enough now that is'nt much more than a toothache to me, but every time someone here posts a pic of their hat he steals it, posts it elsewhere, then berates both the hat and the poster. I haven't bothered reading it for quite a while ( why bother? it's SO predictable) but others do and can easily get caught up in the insanity. For that I feel bad.

AK, I haven't seen Jordon in quite a few years now but I do know that he was offered 2K for the hat & turned it down. What a deal!!!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Art, you are my friend; I've known you since the early 1990s ... and when I left the U.S.A. for Chile, I sold the bulk of my personal vintage collection to you. On that day, we sat down in your store's back office and talked about our lives. I will never forget that conversation.

The fact that you made this panama is what matters to me. In a way, I feel sorry that the body was never blocked for its original owner, way back when ... but it's a nice thing to know that this special hat now belongs, in a way, to me and you. I wouldn't trade that fact for the world.

Thank you, Art.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thank you Marc, you've come a long way in your vintage education and passion and it's very pleasing to see from a distance.
Your comments are taken to heart.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
...In a way, I feel sorry that the body was never blocked for its original owner, way back when ... but it's a nice thing to know that this special hat now belongs, in a way, to me and you. I wouldn't trade that fact for the world.

He was keeping it for you, Marc. It's your hat in a way it was never the original owner's because you made the hat body a hat and stuck it on your hat. And maybe the hat was waiting for somebody like Art to make it come alive. It's special when owner, hatter and materials all come together.

That said, if you get tired of that hat...

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
lol lol lol

Before you get carried away Alan you should know the hat, if sold from Hawaii would be in the 10K range, SF the 15K range, and in Chicago the 5-8K range. It would be a bargain under 5K
Doesn't sound like Marc will tire of it soon.:D

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
KEEP IT

Awww, ...I had already taken my jug of loose change down and started counting...:p

DO NOT SELL THAT HAT EVER. You MC, are a keeper of fine things.

There will be no Charlie Horsing around with this sweet baby.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't you dare think of giving that hat up Marc! It fits like no other I have seen you wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic