Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s Panama + Art Fawcett

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Once upon a time, I fell in love with the best vintage panama hat ever: a 1923 “Casa Arcentales” Montecristi optimo made for a U.S. Secretary of State. (Fedora Lounger SHARPETOYS is the lucky owner of this masterpiece.) Since then, I haven’t been able to get it out of my mind … even though I’ve never seen it in person! http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=323177&postcount=5

Recently, I came across an eBay auction selling an unblocked panama straw body from the 1920s or ‘30s. From the seller's description:

“This is what I believe to be a panama hat as it was found, rolled in a tube with a small piece of paper that reads: ‘Mr. Kales’ Panama Hat.’ Mr. Kales was an heir to a steel fortune in Detroit in the 1920's era. His family owned Kales Steel and built a multi-story office building in Detroit in the 20's. … This hat was purchased from the Kales estate about 10 years ago. It is fine woven straw and measures: inside is 7" in diameter and roughly 23 1/4" to 23 1/2" in circumference. It is slightly discolored from being stored folded and rolled.”

I looked closely at the auction photos. Holy smoke! This was a good one!

ed4c_1.jpg
ed8a_1.jpg

ecee_1.jpg
ed1f_1.jpg

My dream of owning a very fine vintage panama hat was coming true. I bid on it and won. :)

When the body arrived rolled up in its ancient cardboard tube, I couldn’t believe my eyes. I’d never seen, up close and in person, such a tight weave. Supple, without any dryness. Light as a feather. I immediately sent it to my old friend Art Fawcett for blocking. Optimo shape, if you please. Black grosgrain ribbon.

Below is the result. Art estimates that this hat has up to 2,000 WPI (weaves per square inch), which is quite a lot. I counted 14 vueltas in the crown. (By contrast, SHARPETOY’s panama has more than 2,800 WPI and 42 vueltas. Keep in mind, though, that his hat is absolutely magnificent – one of the finest ever.)

I am honored that my friend Art has custom-made this antique panama body into a superb hat, one that I will always cherish. And I'd like to thank SHARPETOYS for sharing the story of his own wonderful panama with us all.

Mybestpanama006.jpg

Mybestpanama001.jpg
Mybestpanama050.jpg

Mybestpanama005.jpg
Mybestpanama004.jpg

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: humina humina that is a hat!! Beautiful Marc.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful hat... reminds me of a question I have though and it can apply to clothes as well. Being that the material (unblocked) is vintage and it was formed into a vintage style hat... would the hat be concidered new or vintage?

Marc Chevalier said:
I think it would be categorized as a new hat made out of vintage material. (Straw, in this case.)

Ya think? Maybe so, seein's how, before it came into your life, it never quite was a finished hat. But I tend toward thinking of it more as a vintage hat with a new sweatband and ribbon.
Whatever ... I wouldn't be seen dead in it. Alive, certainly, but not dead, because if I wore it while dead I'd likely be horizontal, right? Which means I'd be crushing the hat, and I wouldn't do that to such a fine specimen. I have my legacy to concern myself with, after all. (Literally after all, eh?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot