Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s suits

Claudio

Vendor
incredible find Speakeasy! I do however agree it looks like the more conservative cut rather than the higher button stancing, longer flaired skirt, but yours is just amazing and looks like it fits you perfectly.

cpdv

One of the Regulars
It's a terrible picture I took after I first opened the box but I wanted to share anyways. I'll take better ones once I have the trousers hemmed.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
I thought it was funny that it's dated November 17th 1923. Obviously someone didn't get the jazz suit memo...

here's a scan from Sears spring-summer 1923. the jazz suit is still being touted as 'brand new', probably to net any late-comers.
(i should add that it's the only jacket of that cut in the catalogue):

1923_jazz_01_zps4baf9808.jpg

1923_jazz_02_zpse2acef83.jpg

there's also a version in a 1926 catalogue, albeit with wide trousers (see page 2 of this thread).

Last edited:

cpdv

One of the Regulars
Now for en event to come up.
You need a shirt and bow tie as well

I have an arrow dress shirt from the 20s with lots of detachable collars and I do need an event to come around for it although I have work evening ware out after 6:00 because I can.

cpdv

One of the Regulars
From looking at myself in the mirror I'm begining to think that the illustrations with big heads are not that far off the mark. I do have a large head but still.

Mr. Speakeasy

One of the Regulars
That is a great suit! I've been wanting to try to get something like it made (early 20's Hart Schafer Marx). Mind posting some more photos of it being worn that offer a better look at the cut?

Thanks!
tumblr_n5fdvlAys81qhhvpco6_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5fdvlAys81qhhvpco7_r1_1280.jpg

you're probably right Herringbonekid my suit does look a little less radical than the illustration, shares a fairly similar cut in my mind. Do you guys think my suit is from the same period as the advertisement or might it be a couple years later or something?

Mr. Speakeasy

One of the Regulars
I think my wording just got muddled up, i was saying your ad dated 1920 looked the same as my suit, I wish it was dated. Speaking of which I dug through my collection and found a suit I have had for a while that I was hoping you gents might help me date. I was figuring it was from around world war one if not the early 20s. It was sold to me as being from the 1890s but I know right away that isn't true. It is made of what I think is raw silk, i was told probably japanese silk by a friend.

tumblr_n5krschdPz1qhhvpco1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5krschdPz1qhhvpco2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5krschdPz1qhhvpco4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5krschdPz1qhhvpco5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5krschdPz1qhhvpco3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5krschdPz1qhhvpco6_1280.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL