Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s suits

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AFAIK we don't have a thread for 1920s suits so here it is.
Early 1920s Gabardine suit, not mine.:

su1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Flat Foot Floey

And please add pictures of YOUR 1920s suits or scans to this thread. I want to put the makers of the new great gatsby movie into shame. Oh wait...they alread did it themselves.

German scans from 1922
schneidermeister1922bei.jpg
schneidermeister1922pha.jpg
schneidermeister1922mod.jpg
schneidermeister1922sak.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

An old friend showed this on facebook. I don't even know if it is his suit but I asked if I can use the pictures...because I knew you would like it ;)

German, pre-1930, that I sold quite a while ago. Unknown actual date. Silk covered buttons throughout the jacket. This was made of the most beautiful luxurious soft melton-type fabric. really gorgeous stuff, it was.

BlackGermanSB1.jpg

BlackGermanSB2.jpg

BlackGermanSB3.jpg

BlackGermanSB9.jpg

BlackGermanSB4.jpg

BlackGermanSB8.jpg

BlackGermanSB10.jpg

That upturned rear pocket detail:

BlackGermanSB11.jpg

Nice stitching to the side seam pockets:

BlackGermanSB13.jpg

BlackGermanSB14.jpg

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
as most of you know, around 1925-6 suits were already beginning to transition into the wider legged, broader shouldered silhouette of what would become the archetypal early 30s look, but this is surprising....

C_W_1926_zps5d60e52e.jpg

... a catalogue page from 1926 and the 'jazz suit' is still there (!) described as 'popular Broadway jazz model', only now it has 'bell bottoms' instead of the narrow straight legs of it's more youthful 1919-23 roots. it looks bizarrely out of step with the rest of it's more conservative cousins. note that other trousers are available in medium and wide (20"). truly a transitional moment.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

Whoa. Really a strange mix. Like a stage costume between all the other "normal" suits. The low buttoning of the waistcoat makes it look like formal wear too.
BTW I started to watch a Harold Lloyd box set. :D But all the movies are only from 18-21 [huh] Still no narrow trousers for me ;)

Here is another suit. Not mine. Dated 1923.
suitdated192302.jpg

suitdated192303.jpg

suitdated192301.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

Cool pictures of your grandfather, scotrace. Thank you for sharing. What are they holding in the third picture? Ping pong balls on strings?
Somehow the pictures in the Jazz Suit thread survived.
su1.jpg

And also this great scans shared by Dinerman:
A lot of jazz suits in here. A lot of other things too. Check out all the pocket arrangements and fancy backs.

1919-1921.

1920scuts.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ