Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s suits

Burma Schave

One of the Regulars
IMG_1918_zpsae758aee.jpg

IMG_1920_zpsec647b0b.jpg

IMG_1921_zpsf3818db2.jpg

IMG_1922_zps7892f0b0.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Whoa whoa! :eeek: Bedazzling fabrics. :eusa_clap Wonderful.

Can you give us some more information? Is this your collection, are they for sale (ha) or is this from a wardrobe department of a studio. :D
I note size tags dangling on some jackets.

Burma Schave

One of the Regulars
They came from a very old film studio wardrobe collection. Many of the pieces were acquired new by the studio in the 1920s. A friend recently purchased dozens of these suits at an auction.

Burma Schave

One of the Regulars
He's keeping some, he's given some to friends who've helped him with the acquisition, and he's selling the rest. The best ones (not shown in the photos) have already been sold. Not cheaply, though: from about $700 on up.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I know we say this often but in this case its worth repeating. I am constantly amazed by the fabric choices in terms of colors and patterns that men used to wear before the standardization of blues and grays in the late 1950s/early 1960s.

It'd be nigh-impossible to find modern equivalents even at most well-stocked bespoke tailors today to most of these patterns, in particular in the weight and consistency of these fabrics. I've been to a couple of modern bespoke tailors and I've had some luck in replicating vintage styles, but finding workable fabrics has always been a problem.

Where would I find this?
IMG_1947_zpsd5e4d593.jpg

or
IMG_1912_zpsefaa0855.jpg

While some might say those are over the top, I could easily see wearing these following two today, but where would I find the fabric?
IMG_1931_zps1ff6772b.jpg

IMG_1959_zpse51d5164.jpg

Again many thanks for sharing!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
While some might say those are over the top, I could easily see wearing these following two today, but where would I find the fabric?

i don't know Chasseur (apart from the diamond twill weave available from Isle of Mull weavers).

1920s fabrics sometimes stray very close to vaudeville territory but i'll happily forgive the more garish patterns for the beauty of the complex, subtle ones.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I'm guessing this is the film studio haul that was mentioned somewhere in a previous post (maybe in the discussion about the very flash suit with the 4 bellows pockets that caused so much debate?) and that was mentioned on Marc Chevalier's blog.
Absolutely amazing. Thanks for posting. I can hear HBK wailing and nashing his teeth somewhere in the distance.
The light-coloured double breasted suit is incredible.
The good thing is that I don't like the waist band on the trousers (I've never liked flat front trousers) so at least i don't feel jealous.
I look forward to seeing more posts in this thread (especially more of these suits).
'Burma Schave' I hope you are going to post photos of your own collection?

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
1920s fabrics sometimes stray very close to vaudeville territory but i'll happily forgive the more garish patterns for the beauty of the complex, subtle ones.

Yes, I agree there are the dangers of the "Gangs of New York"

MV5BMTcwOTQ2MjM1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODgyMDY3._V1._SX450_SY347_.jpg

or "pastiche Boardwalk Empire" territory with some of 1920s fabrics.

Boardwalk-Empire_Michael-Kenneth-Williams-double-breasted-suit-top_image-credit-HBO-494x340.jpg

But on the whole I do long for greater variety in patterns and color than what we have today.

The good thing is that I don't like the waist band on the trousers (I've never liked flat front trousers) so at least i don't feel jealous.

I'm with you on this as well...

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Chasseur said:
I could easily see wearing these following two today, but where would I find the fabric?
IMG_1930_zps08f80124.jpg

I had the luck of finding a good yardage of a similar vintage fabric.
Now I also have the perfect inspiration what eventually to make out of it.
I was tempted to do something "sporty", but that would be a bit over the top considering the fabric IMO.
A clean-lined notch-lapel SB suit is the thing to go for this...
F1.jpg

To find this kind of pattern in 100% heavy wools, check upholstery suppliers. They tend to stock very traditional and some rather quirky patterns. I've had lots of luck finding very, very heavy weight traditional "gun club", and other tweed fabric. [EDIT] If you're careful you can find ones that are not too rugged, and are a bit smoother and more suitable for clothing use.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Amazing suits. Thank you so much for sharing. Just when you think the FL is "starving" for new/old things to talk about...

PS: Two Types and Chasseur. Agreed to on flat front trouser. Maybe everyone with a bigger inseam than day 32" would [huh]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana