Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s suits

Interesting Baron, I would have never thought of upholstery fabric, but it makes sense. I'll have to take a closer look at those now.

Thank you!

For example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-3-yd-23-x-62-Quality-Unused-Brown-Tweed-Wool-Fabric-/261150317551?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccdc59bef
$T2eC16d,!y0E9s2S7w6SBQ6o0b!phQ~~60_3.JPG

Qirrel

Practically Family
In addition to the bias/sloping shoulder seams, Edwardian and earlier lounge jackets often had the sideseam positioned closer to the back seam than what became common from the 20s on. Whereas the modern sideseam is in about the position of the foremost seam of the sidebody as seen in the drafts BK posted and the morning coat above, old lounge jackets typically had the sideseam about midway between the two sidebody seams.
(And then, in the 1950s, the sidebody rose from the heap of half dead tailcoats and morning coats to appear as a standard feature of many new cutting systems, but this time with the backmost seam in the position where it in the day of the frock coat had it's foremost seam. And in 2013, you wont find many factories producing coats without sidebodies.)

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Interesting. The belt is fully attached like most beltbacks...I doubt I have seen this before. Aren't belts supposed to sit at the height of the middle button?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
usually they do yes (or between middle and lower button)... (or on bottom button on a two button)...

i was looking at another attached-all-round-belted jacket recently and now i can't remember where.

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
How can anybody with a sense of style eschew garments like this for badly constructed modern suits with low rise and crappy, tissue weight Super 100 fabrics?

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
How can anybody with a sense of style eschew garments like this for badly constructed modern suits with low rise and crappy, tissue weight Super 100 fabrics?

I've been asking the same question for a while now. I think it's really because of the whole "brand name" obsession of the last 35 years. Noone cares about the quality of things anymore. If it has the label of a top designer that's all that matters. The jacket is 2 sizes too small? The Pants are cut too short? Who cares! It's a Pierre Cardin/Armani/Prada/Calvin Klein! From what I can see and have read about here on the lounge, there is absolutely no difference in quality between most designer brands and average joe brands. Hopefully this is a fad/trend that will end and people will start demanding quality again.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
these are scans from the book 'Roaring 20s Fashions: Jazz' (which covers the first half of the 20s. 'Deco' covers the second half).

this suit is mistakingly included in the women's section, when it's actually a boy's (for ages 12-14) 'knicker' suit.

20s_boys_01_zps5b0b4cbd.jpg

20s_boys_02_zps21d87239.jpg

this is the long trouser version (from a page named 'High School Suits') from Sears spring-summer 1923 catalogue:

Sears_SS1923_zps1d9fd025.jpg

many suits from the 20s were lined with alpaca (see small print above).
if you're picturing something soft and wooly like vicuna or mohair, forget it.
alpaca lining is stiff, matt, and scratchy, like a thin serge. strange choice for a lining.

p.s. the rear pleats in the top left which he appears to be dreaming about resemble this one (near enough) from 13 years later...(1936):

1936backpleats_zps66d04421.jpg

if you're not interested in the 20s per se, then perhaps appreciate the decade as a lead in to the 30s, which didn't exist
in a hermetically sealed 'art deco' bubble, but which grew out of something that took a long (sometimes tortuous) journey to evolve.
context is all important... fancy backs didn't happen overnight.

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
how 'skinny' are those trousers? I guess what goes around..................
I have a theory that manufacturers are somewhat complicit in this fashion thing and not for the obvious reasons of selling clothes, think about it this modern 'skinny' look and cutaway/spread collar shirts, low rise no break skinny trousers along with tight jackets and short sleeves means they will save quite a bit of cloth spread over their production?....just a theory!

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Actually, those modern skinny trousers have too much break more often than not. Often I see them worn so low you can see the plumber's crack and the trouser legs are bunched up like a concertina.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
if you're not interested in the 20s per se, then perhaps appreciate the decade as a lead in to the 30s, which didn't exist
in a hermetically sealed 'art deco' bubble, but which grew out of something that took a long (sometimes tortuous) journey to evolve.
context is all important... fancy backs didn't happen overnight.

Which brings us back to your observations on how the casual young Englishman man in 1925 looks almost the same as the casual young Englishman of 1935. Which reminds me i need to do some more research on Oxford Bags ....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points