Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930 Suit Label

chloe

Familiar Face
I think I have them figured out. The cream vest...you can adjust...has metal clasps and stretchy material that can be adjusted then buttons? OK...now just have to find the tux it goes with. I have one piece...the Silk brocade Louben vest (not sure what it goes to).

Everything else is put together!!! Yeah!!

chloe

Familiar Face
I will post my pics tomorrow. I will take pics of the complete set, then each piece and date each set...then you can tell me what is wrong (I'm sure all your info will reflect in my finished pieces:) ).
Those morning coat sets are sharp!! They knew how to dress back then.
(Well you gentlemen dress like that now...so sexy!!)

chloe

Familiar Face
Marc Chevalier said:
Two out of three ain't bad, Root ... but cutaway jackets (morning coats, swallowtail coats ... they're all essentially the same thing) didn't have satin or silk lapels. Frock coats did, but they're not cutaways.

Sometimes, cutaway jackets had silk piping on the edge of the collar, lapels, and even sleeve cuffs. However, this piping was only 1/4 inch wide at the most. Not wide enough by far to cover the entire surface of a lapel.

After checking out this coat this morning...I do believe it is a frock coat. It is a suit style jacket...it has pants and vest. I will take some pics and put up later. Definetly isn't tux. I have a couple of those...some with the long tails.
Wow...I think I'm getting the hang of this. Goodwill here I come!!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Were there single breasted frocks? The coat that was first posted in this thread looks single breasted to me. Maybe if another full photo was posted would help out... yes?

=WR=

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Single-breasted frock coats did exist in the 19th century ... but there weren't as many of them. They were an "older" style that had pretty much died out before 1900, whereas double-breasted frock coats were still being made for diplomats and bridegrooms in the '30s.

Chloe implied that the owner of the clothes was an (Indian or Pakistani?) diplomat back in the '40s and '50s. He seemed a little bit too "recent" to be the owner of a frock coat.

chloe

Familiar Face
I am going to take some more pics of this 1930's jacket and the pants, vest I think go with it. These clothes belonged to two gentlemen...hence the earlier/later clothes. The diplomat was the younger gentlemen but there was Pat's Dad (the Dr.) who would have owned older suits...does this make sense?

chloe

Familiar Face
OK...let's see if we can settle this jacket business once and for all! I did find the pants (by accident) I was checking all the pockets for some cash and felt something in this little back pocket...and inside was the same tag dated 1930 as the jacket (yeah) now to figure out the vest...do you think this is it?
And the pants we have the matching silk on the side...so I guess tux or frock?

mens7002.jpg

mens8002.jpg

mens8001.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The vest has a collar that looks like the one on the Nehru jacket. My guess is that it's a formal vest whose design is unique to India or Pakistan.

Either the owner wore the vest with his tuxedo, or he wore it with a native Indian/Pakistani outfit. We may never know for sure.

STOP THE PRESSES!

I just noticed something odd about the vest: it buttons on the left, which indicates that it may have been made for a LADY to wear, not a man.

chloe

Familiar Face
Yeah you're right...I have a lovely fitted tuxedo jacket for a women with a skirt...that must go to that...you're a genious! I never would have put them together. Well, I'll have to pick thru those vests I have to match up to this tux. You guys are awesome! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner