Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930 Suit Label

chloe

Familiar Face
Does this label ring a bell to anyone? Vannest Coleman & Co. Trenton, NJ
It is from a 1930 suit. Thanks! Chloe

Wild Root

Gone Home
If you can provide a photo of the label and maybe of the suit, that would be cool.

I love old labels from suits and other items of vintage clothing. Ties had some great labels!

The label to your suit doesn't ring any bells for me, I've never heard of that make, it was probably from a small men's store in NJ that is no longer around.

Marc may know about that label, not sure, he's pretty savvy to labels.

=WR=

nightandthecity

Practically Family
hmmnnn..can't seem to make that first link come live. But if you Google
WPL RN
it should come up near the top.

chloe

Familiar Face
Here are some pics

mens4002.jpg

16be4532.jpg

mens3003.jpg

chloe

Familiar Face
Marc Chevalier said:
Don't know anything about the manufacturer, but its obscurity(?) won't affect the tuxedo's value one way or another.

The important things here are condition, quality, style, era and size.

Marc:
How do I go about trying to match up my pants with the right suit jacket. Many of the trousers do not have labels? I want to sell complete sets but having trouble matching up...any advice? Thanks so much!! Chloe

Wild Root

Gone Home
I could be wrong but, that looks like a cutaway coat! It would be worn with gray and black striped pants. This is coat isn't a suit coat, since I can't see the whole thing, I'm guessing it's a cutaway but, if it's a tux coat, it would be worn with black tux pants. If it has tails like a cutaway, striped pants as I mentioned before would be the only way to wear it!

Something to keep in mind, suits never had satin or silk lapels. Only tuxes, tails or cutaways had satin or silk lapels.

=WR=

Interesting. As Root says, the major point here is the length of the jacket.

I will disagree on the trousers. Though it is considered correct to wear a morning coat with the grey/bleck striped trousers (they are quite unique. Never worn for anything else), the more daring fashionistos of the day changed this up significantly. The Prince notably - and somewhat notoriously - greeted a king (i believe of Norway) wearing light coloured tweed trousers with his morning coat, to cock his snook at the established ways of doing things.

Looks like a nice piece.

I'm not too hot on morning coats. Do they normally have satin/grosgrain lapels?

bk

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Wild Root said:
Only tuxes, tails or cutaways had satin or silk lapels.

Two out of three ain't bad, Root ... but cutaway jackets (morning coats, swallowtail coats ... they're all essentially the same thing) didn't have satin or silk lapels. Frock coats did, but they're not cutaways.

Sometimes, cutaway jackets had silk piping on the edge of the collar, lapels, and even sleeve cuffs. However, this piping was only 1/4 inch wide at the most. Not wide enough by far to cover the entire surface of a lapel.

chloe

Familiar Face
I don't think this is a morning coat...length is not there. I have several of those...I thought they were tuxedo. So tuxedo's have satin/silk lapels? Suits do not?

chloe

Familiar Face
UGGHHH Marc...to much info for me to absorb:rage: now I have to go look at these darn things again:eek:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Your other coat, the one from the 1950s, is a morning coat.

The 1930 coat in THIS thread is, in fact, a tuxedo jacket. Not a tailcoat, not a cutaway ... it is definitely a tuxedo jacket. This means that it originally had trousers that matched it in color and fabric. The outer vertical seams on each pant leg should have a black satin stripe running from top to bottom. The satin on the stripe should be the same kind as the satin on the jacket's lapels.

chloe

Familiar Face
OK. I think I found them. Now how about vests? I have vests...how do I match them. I do have several of these morning coats so do my pinstriped trousers go with them? How do I know if they match that coat? Also I have this cream vest thing kinda looks like a vest...what is this? If my great description doesn't ring a bell I can take a pic.

So do you wear vests with morning coats...or just shirt and trousers?
How about these linen pants?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
chloe said:
OK. I think I found them. Now how about vests? I have vests...how do I match them. I do have several of these morning coats so do my pinstriped trousers go with them? How do I know if they match that coat? Also I have this cream vest thing kinda looks like a vest...what is this? If my great description doesn't ring a bell I can take a pic.

So do you wear vests with morning coats...or just shirt and trousers?
How about these linen pants?

Please, please, please take photos. I really do want to help, but it's getting too confusing without some visual references. :confused:

chloe

Familiar Face
Will do...Based on all your info...I am going to piece together what I think goes together. Any misceallenous pieces I will leave out and take separate pics! I know I'm babbling...so sorry! :p

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
You wear vests with morning coats/cutaways. They look a lot like normal suit vests, and they'll usually be the same color/fabric as the morning coats they belong to.

Your white vest may be for an evening tailcoat (the kind of tailcoat that has silk lapels; Fred Astaire wore one in the movies. Think "white tie and tails").

Is the white vest with a low-cut opening? (Lots of cleavage?) Then it's for an evening tailcoat (like Fred Astaire's). Do you also have a black (silk) vest with a low-cut opening? Then that one is for a tuxedo.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I have seen some cutaways with satin lapels, they mostly didn't have it but, I've seen it. The proper vest to be worn with a morning or cutaway coat is light gray double breasted lapelled vest. I'll post some images of men wearing said outfits to help later.

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner