Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me to identify the decade (and type) of an old suit

Elber Galarga

New in Town
Hello, some months ago I was in a flea market in my city Barcelona, and found this nice suit.

I'm getting into vintage style, but I don't know a lot yet about suits, so if anyone can help me to identify when this suit could have been made and which type is it, I would appreciate it.
I searched a lot for the name of the jacket label on the internet, but I haven't found any tailor shop from the past with the name "F. Amado Barcelona" or any type of information about it.

Since it's green I would say it's a casual suit. It seems really well made. The fabric feels heavy, the lapel buttonhole seems hand made, the sleeves lining seems hand-stitched and the back part of the jacket buttons are metallic. The shoulders have little padding.
I don't know what's the material of the brown jacket lining. Maybe silk?

Because of all of that and the look of the jacket, when I first saw the suit I though it could be from the first decades of the 20th century, but then I saw it has belt loops and not suspender buttons, and also the lining of the trousers pockets have a somewhat plastic touch.

Also, they aren't very high waisted. They stay on me below the belly button. I don't know if it's because they were made that way with such a low rise, or because they're small for me. In fact, I'll have to take them to the tailor to have them lengthened like 5 centimeters.

Jacket:
10.jpeg

Back of the jacket:
1.jpeg

Jacket cuff:
2.jpeg

lapel:
4.jpeg

Back of the lapel:
3.jpeg

Jacket outside buttons:
5.jpeg

Buttonholes:
6.jpeg

Lining of the outside pockets of the jacket:
7.jpeg

Jacket inside pocket:
11.jpeg

Sleeves:
12.jpeg

Elber Galarga

New in Town
Inside jacket:
14.jpeg

Back of the trousers:
15.jpeg

Front of the trousers:
16.jpeg

17.jpeg

20.jpeg

Inside trousers hem:
21.jpeg

Inside of the trousers:
25.jpeg

lining of the trousers pockets (with the somewhat plastic touch):
23.jpeg

Attachments

• 22.jpeg
    22.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 63

ErWeSa

Familiar Face
I'd say it is a suit from the 1960s. You've noticed yourself the plastic lining of the pockets. The trousers don't have any pleats, nor are they bell-bottoms and they aren't cuffed either, yet they still have buttons and no zipper. Most revealing for me are the cloth covered buttons of the jacket - this was fashionable around 1960 and the small lapels. I'd guess - due to the relatively tight trousers - 1965 +/- 5.

"The Avengers", a series from the 1960s, features such suits (although the trousers in this picture are very high-waisted, contrary to yours):

Last edited:

fabiovenhorst

Call Me a Cab
I'd say it is a suit from the 1960s. You've noticed yourself the plastic lining of the pockets. The trousers don't have any pleats, nor are they bell-bottoms and they aren't cuffed either, yet they still have buttons and no zipper. Most revealing for me are the cloth covered buttons of the jacket - this was fashionable around 1960 and the small lapels. I'd guess - due to the relatively tight trousers - 1965 +/- 5.

"The Avengers", a series from the 1960s, features such suits (although the trousers in this picture are very high-waisted, contrary to yours):

I agree. It's very 1960s

Elber Galarga

New in Town
Thank you all. I had a somewhat different concept of 60s suits. More like the ones from the Mad Man series. This green one doesn't seem to me to be a business suit. It's a casual one, right? But in the 60s it was no longer common to wear a suit outside of work or celebrations.

PeterB

One of the Regulars
Thank you all. I had a somewhat different concept of 60s suits. More like the ones from the Mad Man series. This green one doesn't seem to me to be a business suit. It's a casual one, right? But in the 60s it was no longer common to wear a suit outside of work or celebrations.
What gives the decade away is the front pockets. I think they were called frontier style. Gone by the 80s but very common in the 60s and 70s. Back in the 60s it was still very common to wear suits out in the evening and this one was for outside the office.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner