Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's/40's Six Button Waistcoat in Great Fabric Sz M (eBay)

Great waist coat.

I have just started wearing waist coats again, I think they add a great look to your wardrobe, however I feel you need to be thin to actually look great in a vest/waistcoat. While I am not heavy nor do I have a six pack anymore, I do have a slight pauch, hence I wear a slightly bigger size waistcoat to fit over my pauch. Either way I like the whole waistcoat/vest look.

Thanks for posting the listing.

Best regards
CCJ

Doc Smith

Familiar Face
"I see the term " Steampunk" used alot on ebay and Etsy. Along with mad men.

What are the meanings for there use?"

I think they mean "I want to sell this quickly and profitably, so I'll throw in some common and vaguely related search terms."

HardBoiledMarlowe

One of the Regulars
CCJ,

Waistcoats have been a staple of my wardrobe for many years; I like to play with color and texture, so they are perfect for me. They are an excellent way to add a bit of panache to an ensemble without overdoing it. While thin men may have an easier time pulling off the look, larger/heavier men are not exempt from wearing them. If the fit is correct and the color and/or pattern is flattering, a larger man can look quite dapper in a waistcoat. One option is to wear it under a sport coat and not remove the jacket. When I was younger and quite fit, I would be more inclined to wear a vest without a jacket. In more recent years, however, I opt for the latter option more often than not.

Mad Men is an award-winning television drama about Madison Avenue advertising executives in the 1960's. The program occasionally has flashback sequences that feature fashions from the 1950's. The show helped revive interest in 1960's fashion, so people use the phrase as a search term when trying to find clothing from that era.

I am no authority on Steampunk, but do know a couple of people who are into it. It is a genre of art, literature, fashion, etc. that combines elements of science fiction (think H.G. Wells & Jules Verne), fantasy, and horror. It is a mix of post-apocalyptic, Victorian, and Old West imagery. Some people who are into it modify modern devices, such as computers, to give them an Industrial Age aesthetic. Gears, old watch parts, metal tubing, and typewriter keys are used often and jewelry made from these materials is common.

Doc,

Both "Steampunk" and "Mad Men" are valid search phrases when used appropriately. While this vest may not be Victorian, it still has a look that will appeal to the Steampunk crowd. "Mad Men" is a good phrase for those just getting into vintage clothing; perhaps they'll buy something and a life-long appreciation will be born. I remember searching for "Gangster Suit" or "Swing Suit" when I was 14 and 15 years old.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy