Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s-40s style double breasted suits?

BowlofRice

New in Town
Hello everyone! Yep, I'm new here! I thought this would be the perfect forum as I dress in 1930s-40s style almost wherever I go, even at school, to the point that everyone's in shock when I come in without at least a tie. Yup, I'm the guy standing at the bus stop with the out-of-style suit, fedora, and beige trench coat (or overcoat depending on the weather :D .)

I have a question...Was the six-on-one style of double breasted suit used during the 1930's? I may have seen someone wearing one in the 1935 movie "Born to Dance" but I'm not sure. This style of double breasted suit tends to be the most common of all suits sold at thrift stores (yes, I find it's the only place to buy old fashioned suits and coats). I also remember reading that this style was popular during the 1970s and 1980s. The six-on-two style is the suit I see in all those 1930's and 1940's movies, but this is harder to come by at thrift stores. Fortunately I was able to come across a green six-on-two jacket today at Goodwill as well as a pair of pants that virtually matched the jacket. I also bought a six-on-one suit because I thought the color was nice.

Any help regarding my question would be appreciated. Thanks!

Louie

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
If you take a look through the catalogues sticky I think there's a few examples, might even be some 1920s ones with it. It was definitely around, although from what I've seen, most commonly on six by twos with the lapel rolled so that the second button can't be fastened.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
I'd worry less about it being okay - there've been weirder things worn with fedoras. If I do ever wear a six on one though, I've got to have either a waistcoat or a jumper, otherwise my ties flap about horribly as I much prefer to have my ties short.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'd worry less about it being okay - there've been weirder things worn with fedoras. If I do ever wear a six on one though, I've got to have either a waistcoat or a jumper, otherwise my ties flap about horribly as I much prefer to have my ties short.
I don't wear six on one suits because I find it looks silly when 66% of the buttons have no function, but I do wear four on one suits which button the same way. Like you I will only wear them with a waistcoat because of the tie flapping problem and I find they show too much shirt for my liking otherwise.

BowlofRice

New in Town
Hmm...I WAS going to buy a four-on-one blue sportcoat today but then I changed my mind. You do have a good point about the button functionality though...Besides, I collect East German military uniforms and their formal jacket is in four-on-one arrangement. Except for the East German police formal jacket, which uses the more traditional six-on-two arrangement.

BowlofRice

New in Town
Oh, what do you know, I'ev found a picture from a 1935 catalogue showing a six-on-one suit. AWESOME!!!
Paddock%2BCoat.jpg

TCMfan25

Practically Family
I just bought one, wore it today with a 50's boater.
Looks great! I love the style personally, wear a more modern tie though, the older ones are a little too short for the closure :).

BowlofRice

New in Town
Oh, all my ties are brand new, except a couple that are from my dad. Wait, those ties he gave me are still modern. I find the ones at the thrift store far too tacky. I only wear either solid color ties, or ties that have a maximum of 3 colors (only primary colors or offshoots of these colors) on them, and a stripe pattern. I have VERY few exceptions for these rules in my tie collection. What did other tie styles in the '40s look like? So I know what to look for?

P.S. Where could I get a boater hat without buying it online? I could buy one online, but if I could get it otherwise, I'd rather not. I'd love to walk around wearing a boater hat with my double breasted jacket, beige pants, bow tie, and cane... :D

Last edited:

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Oh, all my ties are brand new, except a couple that are from my dad. Wait, those ties he gave me are still modern. I find the ones at the thrift store far too tacky. I only wear either solid color ties, or ties that have a maximum of 3 colors (only primary colors or offshoots of these colors) on them, and a stripe pattern. I have VERY few exceptions for these rules in my tie collection. What did other tie styles in the '40s look like? So I know what to look for?

P.S. Where could I get a boater hat without buying it online? I could buy one online, but if I could get it otherwise, I'd rather not. I'd love to walk around wearing a boater hat with my double breasted jacket, beige pants, bow tie, and cane... :D

The trend of the 40's were loud colorful ties, sometimes depicting animals, landscapes, wild patterns, etc... for you, I'd say go 30's, the ties then were more conservative. There are also conservative 40's ties (my style as well), check out some photos of Fred Astaire (Out of his White Tie and Tails) and you'll get an Idea of more conservative ties of the period.

As for the Boater, Ebay for vintage or MillerHats.com for modern would be the best route to travel but if you prefer offline shopping... you will find yourself in a sometimes frustrating and drawn out "hit or miss" scenario, in that case Antique shops/malls are the best route.

I wear bow ties 90% of the time, Ebay for vintage bows. :)

Hope I helped :D.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
The trend of the 40's were loud colorful ties, sometimes depicting animals, landscapes, wild patterns, etc... for you, I'd say go 30's, the ties then were more conservative. There are also conservative 40's ties (my style as well), check out some photos of Fred Astaire (Out of his White Tie and Tails) and you'll get an Idea of more conservative ties of the period.

The loud colourful ties were a very American thing though. In the UK (and probably the rest of Europe) ties were usually very conservative and understated, with common motifs being regimental stripes, dots and simple geometric patterns. I'd imagine that even in America not all ties were loud and there were plenty of conservative ties about.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
I don't wear six on one suits because I find it looks silly when 66% of the buttons have no function

I actually kind of like that fact, really. Whilst it may just be the way I think about it, I think it adds a sort of devil-may-care 'look at all these buttons that I have simply as decoration' look to the whole thing.

Wearing old vintage ties is certainly possible with them - it simply requires you to turn it into an impromptu three piece. Or there's always a tie slide and tie pin.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I actually kind of like that fact, really. Whilst it may just be the way I think about it, I think it adds a sort of devil-may-care 'look at all these buttons that I have simply as decoration' look to the whole thing.

I can understand that too. Personally I like all or at least the majority of the buttons to be functional which is why my favourite DB style is the 4x2.

Salieri

One of the Regulars
Not really on topic, but the DoE just cropped up at the Cartier Int. Polo in a 8x2 blazer.

8x2!!!!

WFDSC_6647_2.jpg

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
That's a quite truly amazing blazer - I'd definitely wear it, although with that many buttons I'd want there to be a buttonhole on each lapel to balance it.

But that's just personal preference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy