Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s-40s style double breasted suits?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Oh, what do you know, I'ev found a picture from a 1935 catalogue showing a six-on-one suit. AWESOME!!!
Paddock%2BCoat.jpg

DUKE_OF_WINDSOR_mens_style_icon_fashion_icon_izandrew_www_izandrew_blogspot_com_5.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Six on one is just fine with me, providing the gore is of the same height as a six on two. Alas, it rarely is in my experience.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Six on one is just fine with me, providing the gore is of the same height as a six on two. Alas, it rarely is in my experience.

That's wasn't so much a problem in the 30s, but towards the late 40s and early 50s the low gorge became more common because of the Bold Look. Then it was repeated again in the 80s, which is what many people associate 6x1 jackets with.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Oh, what do you know, I'ev found a picture from a 1935 catalogue showing a six-on-one suit. AWESOME!!!
Paddock%2BCoat.jpg

Strictly speaking, the jacket is a 6x2 rolled to the bottom button. It could just as easily be worn with the middle button done up. It's not something you see now, probably due to the popularity of the 6x1.

Dapper Dave

Familiar Face
I own a few double breasted suits. When they are tailored right the look sharp. I work in an office and I wear my vintage suits, and ties and always get compliments. In the 1930s and 40s suits had a V shape tailoring. A good example is the suit Bob Eberly is wearing when he sings only a rose with Jimmy Dorseys band. His suit has that style tayloring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran