Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s belted back leisure/sporty suit jacket top found

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Don't forget. Back then, many men owned one or two suits, and wore them for years. They were not cheap. They were the equivalent of hundreds today. It twas just normal to pay a lot more for clothing, appiances, and many things we consider disposable. I heard a radio program from the 40s where a guy bought an overcoat in a used clothing shop. It was ten bucks. That would be like paying maybe $100 for a used overcoat. People bought high quality stuff, then there would be a secondary and third hand market as they filtered down, then went to the rag pickers for making paper or sometimes shredded and used for new fabric. There is a reason that suits say new wool on them. You could buy low low quality even back then. But now it is almost all they sell.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
If Burtons could now produce 1930s quality (or even 1950s quality) suits for £650 I would be very, very happy. As HBK said, they would find some very loyal customers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner