Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s Phonebooths - Any info or pics?

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Hey all,

I have been trying to get my father to incorporate a 1930s phonebooth into his new billiard room at his home in Atlanta. He has a British phonebooth in the home theatre room, but he said he didn't know enough about period U.S. booths.

Anyone have any info you can share? What the best interior styles were, etc?

Thanks,
Mike

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Holly, you must remember the little game we played last year, what was that called, ah yes, how many Gearheads can you fit into a Brit. phonebooth at the QM. Where are those pics?

up196

A-List Customer
Originally posted by Brad Bowers
Ah, phonebooths. A relic from the days when folks made their phone calls in private.
Here here. It's like Garrison Keillor once said; If God had wanted us to walk around carrying on loud, one-sided conversations, He would have made us all crazy people.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Originally posted by Bogie1943
Holly, you must remember the little game we played last year, what was that called, ah yes, how many Gearheads can you fit into a Brit. phonebooth at the QM. Where are those pics?
Remember, my camera got stolen. But we definitely need to get Baphy and Dan and play that again for old times sake.

Wild Root

Gone Home
You know what; you might find a real vintage one in an antique shop! Or, see if there is any old building that is slated for demolition. You may be able to swipe fixtures, and stuff that is just going to be demolished. I have seen some period phone booths in antique shops here in LA. They can run over $1000 bucks! But, when you think of it, you’re buying a little room from the 40’s. So, that’s not to bad. You can even find a reproduction of vintage payphones of the 40’s as well to install for the right look. If you can’t find a real phone booth, watch 40’s moves and see what they looked like. Or, visit any buildings in your area that may have there original booths. There is a hand full over here in CA! Bogie, since you’re coming down for the Queen Mary event, I can take you around to some places that will give you a chance to take some photos for references if you decide to build one from scratch.

I’ll keep my eyes on eBay for you too!

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran