Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1936 assembly line footage

Khuebner250

New in Town
Pretty amazing footage of 1930's assembly line. I searched and couldn't find anything so I hope it's not a dupe.

[video]http://www.dump.com/2011/07/15/fascinating-1936-footage-of-car-assembly-line-video/[/video]

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
That's the kind of music people who like oddball short films like - ambient and, ideally, electronic. Most music from the 1930s is critically under-appreciated and under copyright to a few big corporations, so film geeks shy away from it.

The Raymond Scott Quintet would have gone very nicely with this clip.

Last edited:

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
The..."music"...keeps me from watching the whole clip.

Well, there IS a mute "button" in the video window. (It is a rubbish audio track. They should have gone with "Powerhouse" by Raymond Scott. :p)

The size of those stamping/cutting presses around the 6 minute mark is rather awe inspiring.

I thought it was interesting that they craned in the body with the windows already in. For some reason I would have thought they would put the windows in closer to the end, for fear of having them cracked or completely shattered (being the era before "safety glass" and all).

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I thought it was fascinating, although I would have preferred less repetition and more coverage of other manufacturing and assembly procedures. The music was mezmeri . . . <zzzz>

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
My self, I found the film really informative, and enjoyable to watch. I'd be surprised that this film didn't come with a sound track originally. Chevrolet would have had a narration describing the process with a light instrumental sound track which was common in the 30s and 40s. Some people always think they can do it better than the "old" original sound tracks... whatever, leave it be. Burns me up when I find a rare clip from a 30s musical and some know it all hipster puts "his" ideal music to it... ruins it totally.

I watched it on mute, didn't even know it had music... was curious but glad to hear it wasn't anything I'd have missed. I'd put on a nice 1936 sound track of popular tunes. Or just enjoy it silent.

Thanks for sharing it, it was amazing to watch! And yes, they had safety glass in '36. It wasn't like the post WWII safety glass but, it wasn't as delicate as some may think. ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
General Motors hired the Jam Handy Organization starting in the mid '30s to make some very high quality industrial films. One of the best was an early driving safety effort: We Drivers, from 1936.
[video=youtube;PWbWbS-fJzY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWbWbS-fJzY[/video]
The poor sap going 70 at night (about 3:30 in) was overdriving not only his headlights, but his brakes, and the road itself.
Look carefully and it's obvious the camera car wasn't going anywhere near 70.

Last edited:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Way cool video and a fascinating process to watch. Amazing machinery for 1936, and quite scary looking too. :eeek: It's a wonder that most of those guys still had all their limbs!
Would be awesome to have one of those cars fresh off the line.
Carl Stalling's full orchestra version of Powerhouse from the Warner Bros. cartoons would have been the right music though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran