Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1936: William Powell's Stellar Year, & Other Actor's Years.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Speaking of "The Duke"...

John Wayne: Wow, so many stellar years!!!

1948:

3 Godfathers
Red River
Fort Apache
Wake of the Red Witch

1949:

Sands of Iwo Jima
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
The Fighting Kentuckian

1962:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Longest Day
How the West Was Won
Hatari!

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
1967- Sidney Poitier:

In the Heat of the Night (Best Picture, 1967)
To Sir, With Love
Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? (Nominee, Best Picture, 1967)

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
InspectorMorse said:
William Powell had such style! I loved the Thin Man movies so much that I got a wire fox terrier and named him Asta!!!!!!

IMO, Asta's best performance is as "Mr. Smith" in The Awful Truth (1937). His rapport with Cary Grant is sublime, topping even his chemistry with William Powell.

Joe_Frances

New in Town
Powell was the greatest actor to work with sartorial props. His hats were perfection; his suits, overcoats and gloves outrageous. Please, Powell fans, if you can look for "Double Harness" on Turner Classic Movies. It is a peach, and Ann Harding is fantastic in it. What really gets my attention, however, is Powell's character, John Fletcher's use of dress gloves. Wow, dress gloves and a suit and hat in all seasons, including summer. He wore dove grey or beige silk lined gloves in many seasons in this film, and did not look in the least affected. I can't think of another film so splendidly representing this style element so well.

just_me

Practically Family
Nathan Dodge said:
Henry Fonda had a stellar year in 1939:

JESSE JAMES
YOUNG MR. LINCOLN
THE STORY OF ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL
DRUMS ALON THE MOHAWK

Amazing!
As an aside, my father was an extra in Drums Along the Mohawk. It was filmed in Utah.

I loved William Powell. He and Myrna Loy had the best chemistry. I read her autobiography (written with another author) years ago and was interested to read her thoughts on Powell.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Joe_Frances said:
Powell was the greatest actor to work with sartorial props. His hats were perfection; his suits, overcoats and gloves outrageous. Please, Powell fans, if you can look for "Double Harness" on Turner Classic Movies...

You can watch it on TCM on Thursday, November 13 at 10:15 AM. A excellent article on the film and its restoration by TCM.

See it here: http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article.jsp?cid=160518&mainArticleId=208530

Subvet642

A-List Customer
dhermann1 said:
Love, love, love William Powell. One of my all time top role models. Had a real Wm Powell mustache for a couple of shows a couple of years ago, and I'm very tempted to grow it back again. Coolness, suaveness, urbanity personified.

You can say that again! I especially love the "Thin Man" movies. He and Myrna Loy (WOW!) had wonderful chemestry. I also loved "Life With Father", co-starring Irene Dunn. I can't think of a single movie of his that I wouldn't watch over and over. Absolutly one of my favorites.:eusa_clap

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Gloria Grahame, 1952

The Bad & the Beautiful (Grahame won Best Supporting Actress Oscar)
The Greatest Show On Earth (Best Picture, 1952)
Sudden Fear (Brilliant Film Noir)

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
"Chuck" to his friends...

Charlton Heston, 1958:

Touch Of Evil
The Big Country
The Buccaneer

1965:

Major Dundee
The Greatest Story Ever Told
The Agony And The Ecstacy
The War Lord

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
It's from 1936, not '39, but I'm looking forward to seeing MY MAN GODFREY tomorrow evening in a Valentine's Day double-bill with EASY LIVING. It's my gal's first time to see both pictures (I've seen both several times), and I don't think she's seen very many William Powell movies.

She's in for a treat.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
She's so lucky to be seeing them for the first time! Have a great time--double bills like that make me wish I lived in Manhattan.

skyvue said:
It's from 1936, not '39, but I'm looking forward to seeing MY MAN GODFREY tomorrow evening in a Valentine's Day double-bill with EASY LIVING. It's my gal's first time to see both pictures (I've seen both several times), and I don't think she's seen very many William Powell movies.

She's in for a treat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112