Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1938 Sears Silvertone radio

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Hey everyone, looks like we’re going to have to move to a new place… good news is it’s full of old tile and original fixtures from the 30s/40s but, bad news is it’s smaller than our current place. So, have to sell some things off to make the move much smoother and not being cramped in our new place.

Offering for you consideration, this 1938 Sears Silvertone console radio. Take a look at the special illustrations on the dial that indicate the different broadcast bands. Needs restoration, all original, never touched by me. The photos will show all. The speaker is in good shape and has the special shroud around the speaker to ad better sound quality. There is a loose piece of the dial plastic up in the far right corner of the set. That can be fixed with the right kind of glue.

This item is for LOCAL PICKUP ONLY PLEASE.

Asking $150. that’s what I paid for it, and that’s what I must get… money will go to moving costs.

If interested, please post to this thread or send me a PM.

Thank you.

37silvertone.jpg

37silvertone2.jpg

37silvertone3.jpg

37silvertone4.jpg

37silvertone5.jpg

37silvertone6.jpg

Also this set is on Craigslist so, it may be pulled sooner than later.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Come on, where are the radio geeks on this? This is a special piece... I know the price seems kinda high but, I swear, that's what I paid for it and I'm not asking for a red cent more than I paid for it.

Come now, this is a great radio and would be worth the restoration!

-=R

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
The Cloud of Unknowing....

Forgotten Man said:
Sometimes we [bump] into things because we are in the dark. For the benefit of the less-than-knowing ones who might well be interested in your radio (of which I am one)....where, exactly are you? Are we to believe the profile address, which (to me, at least) means "NYC"?

"Skeet"

R.A. Stewart

Familiar Face
Forgotten Man said:
Come on, where are the radio geeks on this? ...

Oh, this radio quasi-geek is drooling ... as soon as I figure out how to get the space-time continuum bent far enough to place Chicago next door to you, you'll hear from me.

(Oh--yeah--and as soon as I figure out how to deal with the BW nailing my hide to the wall--that little detail too.) :D

~Rich

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Forgotten Man said:
Come on, where are the radio geeks on this? This is a special piece... I know the price seems kinda high but, I swear, that's what I paid for it and I'm not asking for a red cent more than I paid for it.

Come now, this is a great radio and would be worth the restoration!

-=R
If you were near me, I'd find the funds to put that beauty in my dining room. :eek:

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Forgotten Man, I have a feeling that if you can find a way to ship this, it may be the fastest sale yet on the classifieds! lol Looks great! Haven't got the space for it, but I love it. Good luck!

Sincerely,
flute

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
This set is a relative lightweight. I've had excellent results wrapping such sets in plastic, three layers of bubble wrap, and one of (salvaged) cardboard (but a quarter-hour's labor) and shipping via Greyhound Package Express. Shipping costs for a console like this one would be between thirty-five and seventy dollars. I've shipped dozens of sets in this manner and have not as yet had any of them damaged in transit.

These Silvertone sets are not a difficult restoration job, are excellent performers, and whilst they have never been terribly thick on the ground, they are now almost impossible to find, particularly with useable Tenite dial escutcheons, like those on Forgotten Man's example.

vitanola said:
This set is a relative lightweight. I've had excellent results wrapping such sets in plastic, three layers of bubble wrap, and one of (salvaged) cardboard (but a quarter-hour's labor) and shipping via Greyhound Package Express. Shipping costs for a console like this one would be between thirty-five and seventy dollars. I've shipped dozens of sets in this manner and have not as yet had any of them damaged in transit.

These Silvertone sets are not a difficult restoration job, are excellent performers, and whilst they have never been terribly thick on the ground, they are now almost impossible to find, particularly with useable Tenite dial escutcheons, like those on Forgotten Man's example.

Go pack it up for me and send it. ;) :p I'll take it. :D

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
First of all, sorry that I haven’t given my true location out, the address shown is the address of William Powell as “The Forgotten Man” from My Man Godfrey.

I live in Southern CA near Pasadena.

Mr. Powers, it’s yours if want it… it’s still for sale.

Thank you gents for your interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy