Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940 Raf flying jacket

barry65

New in Town
Hello Everyone,

I have an Irvin type sheepskin jacket that I am hoping somebody could help me gain a little more knowledge of.

The inner label reads the following:

com.no. B. 84479/40/C.I.B

It is dated 1940 , the sizing then the crown with A.M under it.
The original owner has written his name on the label along with his rank number, I am also trying to find his history.

The jacket has two connections about 2 inches above each cuff which are I suspect electrical? for gloves or trousers? also on the jacket it is possible to see where I think the original heating elements wires were attached. They run down each arm over the nape of the neck and down the front of the jacket.
Under each arm are 8 eyelet vents, the back of the jacket has one central seam, the collar is stitched in a zig zag (triangle) fashion with a leather strap and 2 round rings to fasten.

Also on the collar are two metal clips that I think a hood of some sort was attached to or elastic, I am not sure.
It really is a lovely thing in great condition. Can anybody tell me if it was manufactured by Irvin and anything else they might be able to inform me about my jacket .

Many thanks, Barry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy