Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s Chevy Dealer re-opens to Auction off 500 Time Capsule Cars

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
No words, no words....

http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auctions_details.php?detail=135&allimages=NO

Found via:
http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/...e-opens-to-auction-off-500-time-capsule-cars/

A small-town Midwestern dealership in Pierce, Nebraska sold Chevrolets to local families and first-time buyers for 50 years until it’s husband and wife team finally closed their doors seventeen years ago. Since then, a staggering inventory of 500 surviving cars, new & used, have been stored away, undriven for decades. Some 50 cars “brand new” Chevrolets from the 1950s and 60s have less than 10 miles on the odometer

Images at the Messy Nessy link, as well as a video.

Auction is in September.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I saw several Fords listed.
Including a Ranch Wagon, Crown Vic (55?), Lincoln Continental (60), and a couple of newer ones (70's).

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Hmmm. The way I read that there are a 10 "new" cars and a handful more that were very low milage/very good condition trade ins that went into dry storage. The rest were parked in a field so you can buy a car that has sat in grass for 60 years. I'm not in any way diminishing the actual new cars in the warehouse(s). But to call this 500 time capsule cars... I'm not so sure about.

Matt

I think I'll take my son and see what they end up with there. We've been looking for a classic car, so there might be something there we can nab.
I was taken back by the condition of the cars stored inside for all those years. Pretty rough looking, but I'd like to see them in person.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Cars sitting that long are going to bea real pain in the a** to get running again if at all.

The engines haven't been turned over in decades and I would not be surprised if a lot of these have seized up sitting there all these years.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Cars sitting that long are going to bea real pain in the a** to get running again if at all.

The engines haven't been turned over in decades and I would not be surprised if a lot of these have seized up sitting there all these years.

Serious renovators won't care - they'll have a trailer to haul 'em out, and they'll have great fun making those engines hum again!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
*Googling where Pierce, NE is....* :)

I hope car enthusiasts get some good deals on them. Even the ones that aren't in pristine condition - what an opportunity for renovation!

Looks like it's out in the middle of nowhere - the small town of Pierce is going to have lots of activity. Will be good for local businesses, though. :)

It's very likely all of the running gear (i.e., engine, transmission, differential, suspension, etc.) would have to be replaced, not to mention repair to all of the rust damage, near-complete replacement of the interior, all new wiring, hoses, belts, and so on. You'd have to have pretty deep pockets, a knowledgeable crew, a good deal of spare time, and/or all of the above. And after all of that, depending on the make, model, and year, it might not be worth the time, money, and labor you had put into it.

Last edited:
People do it all the time. So long as they're not too rusty, or have repairable rust, car guys will fix them.

It's very likely all of the running gear (i.e., engine, transmission, differential, suspension, etc.) would have to be replaced, not to mention repair to all of the rust damage, near-complete replacement of the interior, all new wiring, hoses, belts, and so on. You'd have to have pretty deep pockets, a knowledgeable crew, a good deal of spare time, and/or all of the above. And after all of that, depending on the make, model, and year, it might not be worth the time, money, and labor you had put into it.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
People do it all the time. So long as they're not too rusty, or have repairable rust, car guys will fix them.

Yep, they will. My husband is going to restore a 64 1/2 Mustang that had been sitting out in a field for years and years. He just got his degree in auto body, so he knows what to do. :)

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I'd love to leave my town Tom and move up there.
But all I can do is create dents, I can't pull them back out. :D
It'll come together don't worry.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Good for him! Too bad y'all live so far away. I'm looking to hire a body man for the shop.

Yeah, he would have loved to do that. He actually got a job sanding/painting/repairing airplanes. It's a really good job with very impressive benefits and was the highest paying one out of those companies that offered him a job. So he's going to do actual auto body on the side for now. :)

Wow! It sounds like he found himself a good gig, then!

Yeah, he would have loved to do that. He actually got a job sanding/painting/repairing airplanes. It's a really good job with very impressive benefits and was the highest paying one out of those companies that offered him a job. So he's going to do actual auto body on the side for now. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24