Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s Photos

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
That's great--has a lot of motion in it--you can almost hear the music in the background!

I'm sure you have seen this photo before, but I've always liked it (the caption is great):
deajwl.jpg

Hondo

One Too Many
jitterbugdoll said:
That's great--has a lot of motion in it--you can almost hear the music in the background!

I'm sure you have seen this photo before, but I've always liked it (the caption is great):
deajwl.jpg

Great photo "Wild Root" and you too jitterbugdoll, its rare to see races together in photo's, and that makes this one even better to enjoy, just kids out having a good time, I could never dance, always envied who could, still cool, thanks for sharing :cool:

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Pics of my Grandfather Jim, prior to enlistment. He went on to the 36th ID did tours in France and Italy,2 Purple Hearts..survived the war...Jim is petting the dog...kids at play...prior to enlistment

My grandfather Jim, is the goodlooking guy on the right, my grandmother's sisters are in front Mary and Margret

My aunt with grandfather's friend Dick he also served was wounded and survived I believe..

An update to Dick....from Jim's son, my uncle

Not that it matters for the Fedora Lounge context, But Joseph E Gallaher, "Dick" was KIA in Dec of 44. He is the one that Dad served with in L-142 and was awarded the DSC posthumously in lieu of the MOH.

I'd like someone besides me in the family to know the story...

The Cecil Whig, Elkton, MD. July 12, 1945.

" Mrs. Alice M. Gallaher, of R. 3 Elkton, was, on July 4th, presented the Distiguished Service Cross, for her husband Staff Sergeant Joseph E. Gallaher, who was mortally wounded in France December 14th, 1944. The presentation was made by Colonel Frank B. Lammons, of the Third Service Command, at special excercises held July 4th, at the Smith Memorial Fairmount Park Philadelphia.
Sgt Gallaher is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph E . Gallaher of R. 3 Elkton.
Following is the citation:
Joseph E. Gallaher, 33733590 Staff Sergeant, Infantry Company "L" 142nd Infantry Regiment, for extraordinary heroism in action on 14 December 1944, in Milltelwihr, France. When a large hostile force infiltrated friendly outposts and launched a savage assault against the company positions. Sergeant Gallaher, leader of a 60 mm. mortar section, immediately began issuing firing orders. Upon hearing his voice the enemy opened fire with machine guns sweeping his positon with rapid accurate bursts. Dauntlessly remaining in position, Sergeant Gallaher continued to direct devastating mortar fire on the hostile troops. Although seriously wounded by machine gun bullets, he steadfastly maintained his post, inflicting numerous casualties on the enemy and delaying the attack. As a result of his skill and determination, the hostile elements were completely disorganized and forced to withdrawl."

Last edited:

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Here's a photograph that I believe was taken in the late 1940's. My great grandmother is on the left. Her daughter-in-law is on the right. The daughter-in-law was married to my great uncle who was killed when the merchant marine ship on which he was serving was sunk early in WWII. The daughter-in-law was from Portugal and was supposedly an actress. This photograph was taken on her last visit to her late husband's family in the Hopewell, VA area. She returned to Portugal after the visit and the family never heard from her again. As you can see from the photograph the name "Coates England" is written beside the daugher-in-law. "England" was her married name; not sure if "Coates" was her maiden name or her first name. It's a long shot, but I was wondering if any fellow loungers might happen to recognize her?

Sally%2BJane%2BEngland2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran