Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s Photos

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I was inspired by Jake's post and wanted to add a few photos of my grandparents that were taken during the 40s.

This is my granddad--I've always thought he looked so dashing and charismatic in this photo (he was a trumpet player, and I suspect he was quite popular with the ladies!) My father looks so uncannily like him that people frequently say to me "I didn't know your dad was in the Navy!"

47b4dd26b3127cce9bdb2e39bb9500000015108AatmbRq2ctP

This is my grandmother--I love her hairstyles and would love to have that polka dot dress:
47b4dd26b3127cce9bdb2e3a3aa600000015108AatmbRq2ctP

47b4dd26b3127cce9bdb2e3fbb9300000015108AatmbRq2ctP

And this is my maternal grandmother, Ruby. She was a hot ticket!
47b4dd26b3127cce9bdb2e23bb8f00000015108AatmbRq2ctP

47b4dd26b3127cce9bdb2e303aac00000015108AatmbRq2ctP

Hondo

One Too Many
In the 40's most everyone took great photos, I haven't seen a bad one. grandfather looks cool, cool cat ;)
I hope to contribute some much later as they (the photos) are out of state.
Your mom and grandmother are sweet looking, thanks for sharing. :cheers1:

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Oh, I hope you do Hondo! I never tire of looking at old photos.

The two ladies are both my grandmothers (the last two pics are of my mother's mother, Ruby). Although--my mother *is* a dead ringer for her mother, just as my father is a dead ringer for his father!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What fine looking photos...

I really enjoyed looking at those Jitterbug, looks like you have definitely inherited the genes of a good-looking family! I wish I had more photos of my family. My grandmother kept loads in between the pages of a massive family bible. But when she knew she was going to die, she burned them on the fire. Apparently this was not uncommon out in the country in Ireland to do this, something about saving the ones who are left anymore grief. Funny thing is, I find photos of my loved ones comforting and something to focus on when they are gone. But I still have a couple, which I'll post (they are from the 1920s).

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I hope you do post the photos you have Paddy--too bad that so many were lost! In one sense I can relate--although we have a fair amount of photos, my grandfather was actually adopted. At that time, people weren't keeping good records of such things, and so we have no idea what his true heritage is. Apparently, it's very strong though, because everyone descended from him looks *exactly* alike--blonde or redheaded, fair, very similar features overall. These genes are so strong that they override normal dominant traits. For example, my mother has black hair and dark skin (she's part Native American)--and look at how I turned out! One of my cousin's married a Columbian woman, and their son looks just like him. We're thinking he must be Scottish, Irish, or maybe German--but, I guess we may never know for sure. Anyway, I sure do treasure these pictures.

Hope to see your photos soon!

jake431

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
Thanks, Jake! I really enjoyed the photos you posted, and I look forward to seeing a few more :)

Ask and you shall receive... This isn't family but it's one of my favorite WW2 photo's I've ever stumbled across on the internet.
493rdFSinA-2s.jpg

-Jake

Wild Root

Gone Home
I kind of had a feeling you would like that one. ;)

Here are some more to correct my wrong doing. :p

0121276dz.jpg

This next one take a CLOSE look at it. Do you see any one that looks familiar? And no, it has never been doctored in Photoshop. Tell me if you see a Wild Root in there. ;)

image777xr.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
jitterbugdoll said:
Okay, you're back on my good side again ;)

My goodness Root--If I am to believe that second photo you must be quite the party guy :)

Well yes I have been known to cut a mean rug! But, that photo is really from the 40's! It's not a new one. When was the last time you saw a full service soda fountain at a ballroom? And every one looking like a million? That guy is just some one who looks like me. Spooky yes?

As to the 40's slob guy I posted. I have no idea who that was. But, you can see a 1941 Dodge four door parked on the street. I found that photo at a thrift shop and I wanted it because I thought it was funny.

Cheers,

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy