Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940's theme

katyagiorgio

New in Town
hi first of all i would like to say hi to everyone 'i have just joined'. I am currently studying theatrical and media make up at college and coming up we have the 1940's theme assessment, therefore at the moment i am searching for a glamour star of them days that i need to replicate for my assessment. I have seen a few but can't quiet make up my mind i did want to use a hat but can't find any 1940's hollywood stars that have it on. Do any of you lovely people have any ideas! thank you in advance. x :)

Blondie

Practically Family
Hello & welcome, go to google images and type in 1940's hats,
am sure you will find a zillion hats !

AirborneSally

New in Town
here are a few of ann sheridan
Ann_Sheridan_Cowboy_from_Brooklyn_trailer.jpg

1331750244_f439e5136b.jpg

here is one of Maria Montez
f_mmm_491e0cb.jpg

thats just a few pics i found, i might be able to find a few more and maybe find some sites to help you out. is that the kind of look your looking for?

zendy

A-List Customer
Anytime I think of stars of 1940 with hats I think of Rosalind Russell in "His Girl Friday."
HisGirlFriday-743157.jpg
hisgirlfridayroscary.jpg

katyagiorgio

New in Town
thank you guy's ;) the pictures are great! the assessment is based on 'evening' 1940's hollywood glamour. I think they did wear hats in the evening but not entirely sure. But from the pics i guess they are mainly daytime. Sorry not 100% clued up on the 1940's but trying :)
Once again thank you all x

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
From watching a kazillion old movies and going to lots of vintage and period events, I believe that in the 1940s hats were for daytime wear only, not evening.

1940s evening hair; down long or in an updo, soft big wavy curls but NOT in the 'stereotype' mentality of victory rolls! Pincurls brushed out and roller sets. Hair usually off the face, mostly deep side parts not often bangs.

1940s makeup day and evening was the same; cake foundation, face powder over that, brow liner, little or no eyeshadow, black eyeliner usually only on upper lid and NOT winged out at the outer edge please! Lots of mascara or very often false lashes, little blush on the apples of cheeks, lips created by lining them first, then a strong true red MATTE lipstick-not glossy or frosted! Nails were long pointed oval shaped, all one color, primarily a same true red to match lips.

Here's a couple of my recent pics to give you an idea, these first two taken the beginning of July, though my hair is shorter here- I've been growing the length out since Spring:
368599814.jpg

368614990.jpg

Hair a bit longer in late August:
372674067.jpg

quick done job to pull the sides back, sides would have been pulled back with combs then not barettes
372674055.jpg

An excellent film I highly recommend to see examples of the 1940s look for your project would be "You were Never Lovelier" with Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth, 1942. But DON'T just look at Rita! She has two younger sisters in the movie and a mother and a godmother. Each has their own wonderful look and style.

A recent movie that has pretty good 1940s hairstyles and makeup on lots of different ladies is the Molly movie from American Girl.

katyagiorgio said:
hi first of all i would like to say hi to everyone 'i have just joined'. I am currently studying theatrical and media make up at college and coming up we have the 1940's theme assessment, therefore at the moment i am searching for a glamour star of them days that i need to replicate for my assessment. I have seen a few but can't quiet make up my mind i did want to use a hat but can't find any 1940's hollywood stars that have it on. Do any of you lovely people have any ideas! thank you in advance. x :)

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
katyagiorgio said:

The movie I really love that has amazing 40's glamour...with hats is Cover Girl. I absolutely love that movie. Rita Hayworth is completely stunning in her tilt/ doll hats.

I also agree with Chanteuse Carey. Make-up of the 40's was very natural looking with lots of matte base make-up. Although I have found in the one 1942 Cosmopolitian magazine I have, that women usually wore more than one eyeshadow. Usually starting with a base color that was natural, a brown for the crease, and white or lighter color to highlight certain areas. Also, if you want to go into depth about eye make-up...there are alot of great threads floating around that you might want to check out.

You might also want to take a look at Dita Von Teese's Twitter. She gives out alot of her secrets on make-up that could also really help. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic