Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s Vintage Ladies Panama Dobbs Hat

ITG

Call Me a Cab
This past summer I won a 1940s Vintage Ladies Panama Dobbs Hat on ebay. The ribbon on it was not very becoming of the hat. Just last month I finally got around to replacing the ribbon and opted for a less wide ribbon. The friendly folks at Peters Bros. did the job. Joe Sr. looked at the hat weave and said that a brand new hat with its weave would be about $400-500! It's a very floppy straw and very unique (or at least unique to me). Let me know what you all think and be honest. My only complaint is that the hat seems smaller and almost too small with the new ribbon. I'll probably take it back into PB and see if Mark can stretch it. It's a size 7, I wear a 6 7/8, and it feels smaller than a 6 7/8, more like a 6 3/4.

This first pic is the pic from the ebay auction so you can see the previous ribbon:

dobbs_ladies_panama1.bmp

This is with the new ribbon:
panama1.jpg

panama3.jpg

Pen Collector

One of the Regulars
Looks great!

Holly, the hat looks great on you!

That's a great find. I remember you looked good in my OPTIMO Monticristi when I visited with you in Irving. Does the weave feel somewhat like my hat?

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Re: Looks great!

Originally posted by Pen Collector
Holly, the hat looks great on you!

That's a great find. I remember you looked good in my OPTIMO Monticristi when I visited with you in Irving. Does the weave feel somewhat like my hat?
Ahhh, thanks! I'd say yes on the feel of the weave (from what I can remember,as that was a few years ago). Maybe after I get back from California I try to get a sunlight shot. (I've been getting home after dark lately.)

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Joseph! Once it stops raining here in Texas, I need to get some outdoor shots of the weave. Do y'all recommend putting a dime, nickel, or quarter on there or does it really not matter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy