Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1943 - AN 6552 - USCG Aviator's Jacket

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I Didn't received an reply from the Ancient Order of Pterodactyl about the Captain yet.
They answered questioning if the informations that i want are for: "book, video, magazine, academic research".

I guess the problem here is somebody has to put himself to work just to answer one email from hundreds. I mean, one thing is that this organization has already a page on this captain. Another thing is they have to start to investigate and put together a piece of writing just to answer a single email. If this guy was still alive, probably he would be more than pleased to share with you some battles for the old time's sake. If he's not around anymore, it's going to be more complicated than that. Just take it easy.

AviatorBRZ

Familiar Face
I guess the problem here is somebody has to put himself to work just to answer one email from hundreds. I mean, one thing is that this organization has already a page on this captain. Another thing is they have to start to investigate and put together a piece of writing just to answer a single email. If this guy was still alive, probably he would be more than pleased to share with you some battles for the old time's sake. If he's not around anymore, it's going to be more complicated than that. Just take it easy.

Good point. I'll wait some more weeks and will try contact again.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I found a USCG website that lists his passing.

"CAPT Gale H. Weaner, USCGR(Ret.), March 6, 2008, in Walnut
Creek, Calif. He is survived by his spouse, Ruth Weaner, of
Pleasant Hill, Calif."

Last edited:

NGFez

New in Town
Hello AviatorBRZ

I knew Gale Weaner for many years, after his retirement. A very special gentleman. He and his wife (Mildred June McColl - Micki) both achieved the rank of Captain in the US Coast Guard at the same time. A rare phenomenon at the time.
I stumbled upon your post and thought if you needed historical information I could perhaps help.

NGFez

New in Town
Hello again Aviator BRZ,

I came across your post again as I was doing some research on Gale. In my stored collections I ran across his leather flight suit— the jacket, vest, and pants — all lined with shearling. It brought back some sweet memories of this special man.
I am thinking of placing it for sale and was trying to gather more military info about Gale, when your post came up.

In response to your original question about your jacket, Gale would probably have not changed anything on his jacket. He was very particular and wanted things “just right” and correct. Adding a fur lining would not have been his doing, in my opinion. Hope this helps!

NGF

AviatorBRZ

Familiar Face
Hello again Aviator BRZ,

I came across your post again as I was doing some research on Gale. In my stored collections I ran across his leather flight suit— the jacket, vest, and pants — all lined with shearling. It brought back some sweet memories of this special man.
I am thinking of placing it for sale and was trying to gather more military info about Gale, when your post came up.

In response to your original question about your jacket, Gale would probably have not changed anything on his jacket. He was very particular and wanted things “just right” and correct. Adding a fur lining would not have been his doing, in my opinion. Hope this helps!

NGF

Hi NGFez, sorry for the late response, I've been away from the forum for a couple of years. I Hope this finds you well.

I still have CAPT Gale's jacket, I never wore it, it's being well cared and preserved.
Couple days ago I was doing a regular cleaning on my collection, taking the dust off, making sure that mold doesn't show up and...
...as I'm planning to build, in the near future, a nice glass display to place four of my jackets(Representing the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's), I decided to do a new research and see if I could find any more information about the CAPT Gale Howard Weaner.
As to my surprise I found your reply here, in the perfect timing.

When I first created this topic I had little information on CAPT Gale, including some wrong info, like his retirement date. Apparently he retired in 1979 as a School Principal and not from USCG.

It would be much appreciated if you could tell us more about him and Mildred. Any new information or photos would be great if you have any.

[For the ones interested on the jacket's modifications]
I bough this jacket from a fellow member of Fedora Lounge, in 2012.
I managed to find the person from who he bought it, and he told me that he was not responsible for any of the modifications.
Considering that the two previous owners(before me) didn't made those replacements, and CAPT Gale passed away in 2008, there would have been a gap of less than 4 years for someone to do it.

Then, why I think those modifications were made while he still owned the jacket?

First of, it's interesting that they cared enough to recreate a replica of the jacket's lining(From the original H&L Block design / Central folded 'band' and armpit 'band' / keeping the original tag), but not enough to use the correct color.
Second, the mouton collar was replaced with a grey/brownish fur instead of the original dark brown or the aged 'honey/rust color' that it probably had, when replaced.
Third, cuffs and waistband are 'generic' ones.

That leads to three possible scenarios(in my opinion).

1- A regular person bought it and fixed the way he wanted it(so he could wear it).
Cons: Why one would bother to recreate the 'complex' lining design but ends choosing a mouton collar so different than the original one?
Why keep Gale's nametag?
I hardly believe someone would spend money to restore it the way it was done, only to resell it shortly after.

2- A collector tried to 'restored' it.
Cons: Why one would even do it, and worse, do it incorretly, reducing the item's collecting/reselling value? I mean, there were plenty of images online and correct materials available to do a proper restoration in 2008 or later.

3- CAPT Gale H. Weaner did it 'himself'(and maybe a considerable time ago, which could explain why it was not 'properly' restored - No 'Google' or easy online shopping back then).
Pros: As being his own 'war time' jacket, he would not be overthinking about it as a 'collector' would do. I guess he just wanted to restore it to a nice and wearable condition.
He took it to the nearest place that could fix the torn parts, and worked with(choosed from) the materials they had in hand at the time.
The lining design was the only thing done properly because that was the only thing that could have been done without the need of correct replacement materials. That would be my guess.

So, this is the reason I believe the most probably scenario is the third one. But, of course, I can be wrong.
I could easily find the right replacements for the cuffs, waistband and mouton collar, but I rather leave it as it is if they were replaced while the jacket was in his possession.

[Here's what I've found about CAPT Gale H. Weaner so far]
According to his obituary(from: https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/eastbaytimes/obituary.aspx?n=gale-h-weaner&pid=105318227), "[...] After graduation from the College of Wooster, Wooster, Ohio he joined the U.S. Coast Guard."

I've found this wishart commencement, from 1944(Woosterians In The Service of Their Country), where Gale Weaner is mentioned as a "Lt. (j.g.) Coast Guard" in 1941.
https://openworks.wooster.edu/cgi/v...ttpsredir=1&article=1129&context=commencement

Also from the obituary:
"In 1943 he served aboard the USS APA. Hunter Liggett in the Solomons Campaign at Guadalcanal and Bouganville."
USS APA-14 history: http://ww2troopships.com/ships/h/hunterliggett_USN/default.htm
"Between 1944 and 1946 he flew search and rescue missions as a Coast Guard Aviator."

I can't remember where I got this from, but I have it noted down, that the date he graduated as an USCG Aviator was November 24, 1944.
It can be corroborated by the fact that CAPT Gale was the USCG Aviator N°354(Info from the Book - U.S. Coast Guard Aviation: 1916-1996) and, according to the article "1943: The Development of Air-Sea Rescue" (https://cgaviationhistory.org/1943-the-development-of-air-sea-rescue/), "There were 334 Aviators and Aviation Pilots on board at the end of August 1944".

As NGFez mentioned, his obituary states:
"In 1947 Gale married Coast Guard officer Mildred June McColl. They were the first sea services couple to be promoted to the rank of Captain. Mildred June died in 1993."

For the sake of curiosity, I found that someone recently sold this:
"ENGRAVED SILVERPLATE TRAY - HONORING UNITED STATES COAST GUARD - CAPTAINS GALE & JUNE WEANER"
https://picclick.com/Us-Coast-Guard-Captains-Gale-June-Weaner-192580438755.html
Judging by the buyer's feedback, he bought the tray to keep it for himself and not to resell.

GHW1.png
GHW2.png
GHW3.png

XzEPpIp

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner