Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950s Leather B-1 hat of the 96th Air Refueling Squadron.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
This Just came in the mail for me today, I couldnt wait!

what a wonderful hat! Since a few of you posted yours I was looking around to find something like that to wear myself.

I see so many black leather hats worn by some people who want to be really bad dudes! but even the most expensive ones I see on Google arent the correct B-1 style Cut like this one.

Never seen one of these before, and not a lot of people know what they are.

It smelled like a Butt (nicotine) and Brylcreem of some kind.

.......................It fits!!!!

The liner is like some kind of Quilted Gold Rayon stuff like a flight suit. I sorta washed the patch a bit and the inside of the liner gently with a touch of woolite just to cut down the stain line a bit. the stitching inside the liner is a bit worn and frayed around the brim.

The inside flap and under the brim is some cotton cloth like you would expect a pair of coveralls to be made of, and a nice yellow Fleece lining in the flap.

The 96 Is on there like some hardcore Transfer, like rubber like a T-shirt heat transfer I think, more than a Decal.

I looked up the 96th and the patch, dates it to 1950-1960

here is the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/96th_Air_Refueling_Squadron

Those Stratotankers were pretty MAMMOTH looking! wow!

SO I wonder what else these guys wore with these hats ( I presume more black leather considering they were strapped into a Giant flying Gas tank!!!) if you have details, photos or anything, Im all ears!

hardcoreeeeeericky!!!

$_57.jpg 123rr.jpg 21231232.jpg 2331.jpg 231232311.jpg 321r.jpg

pictures used without sellers permishun...(Sorries)

Thank you for looking.

I will post some new ones sometime if you want or need, I plan to make some of these myself using some leather pants or something, uh..If my sewing machine can deal...hm. I dont have the $$ for the good machine.

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Ok smartypants, ha ha.

you know what I mean, Like this came from a thrift store.

Its Just some old Leather ball hat right...yeah, thats exactly what I mean..you wouldnt realize this thing flew some high altitude re-fueling missions over the 1 Million square mile Radius covered by the Air Refueling squadrons in the US during the cold war. scan_pic0143.jpg Theres some guys wearing similar hats.

Most people would miss that significant aspect of this otherwise dirty old smelly hat.

Youd think it was something to do with sports or college football or something right.

Theres really cool matching black leather gloves, not sure what type they are but I want some bad!!!

Last edited:

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
"It smelled like a Butt (nicotine)..."

I'm glad you clarified that statement... HAH!!

I see where they flew KC-97's... GREAT planes... they had four huge 4360 radial engines... I LOVED being around those things when they would fire off...

I was an aircraft engine mechanic... and we wore black baseball caps with our squadron number on them...

Great looking hat!!

~shoes~

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Unbelievable! I would love to hear what being a mechanic was like on engines like that! Holy wow!

I think the baseball hats with Squadron Numbers on them evolved out of WW2 nicely.

I mean, to me, the post WWII era USAAF was a horse of a different colour by the time the War was over.

Things changed and evolved at a lot differently. The Stratotankers Make me stand in Awe!

No wonder the US is craving oil so bad these days...Look at how much AV gas we been burning through!

Im not as familiar with this period.

As for the uniforms and hats, the planes and Crews...post WWII faded into the background of obscurity as far as I can see. Not as well sung as the Previous Generation of Airmen.

Its all very Vague to me after the second world war. (possibly because it was Cold war time and was all :project- SHHHH!!!)

I dont know much about the Equiptment and uniforms and insignia, Its worse than keeping up with all the rock bands out there.

and Its hard to come across stuff like this, when I do, Im very intrigued and fascinated by it.

As for the Hats and Jackets, I see lots of varyations of styles on this particular hat.

Theres what looks like poly or nylon based *satin* Hats that match the Nylon Bomber Jackets too.

and black Leather gloves that match the black leather hats.

the other neat thing is the lining of the hat is the dead giveaway its authentic because the liner matches with the fabric panneling inside the bomber compartments that snapped on.

Thanks for looking.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Here is another Forum with the same topic, Again confirming that these hats were widely used and popular, but seldom Turn up and Just as little information is known about them.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/127860-usaf-leather-ball-caps/

The question is asked: so where did all these hats go!

This one is WELL MADE!

Someone individually Quilted the inside pannels!!! Ive never seen a baseball hat like this, its more a work of fine art when you hold it up to any new Hat.

I presume most of these guys in the photos are all alive and well and have their hats all tucked away. They look special issue some of them because of colour and insignia on the hats etc. Lots of Different makers, Im sure this is going to take a lot of devotion and study to learn all the makers and how it worked.

Regardless, these are cool and need to be in production because theres guys like me out there who know these hats and *get it*

The sweat stains have rotted the liner material, and its like wet paper, and will come apart by the brim badly if I wear it. I cant bring myself to wear out this original one.

I was In fabricland today, looking to source material for the quilted liner (which is poly or nylon like a K-2 Flight Suit almost but more gold-ish Green)

Upon closer inpsection I *Think* the Stuffing of the inside liner is actually fire-retardant material (Eerily similar to the fire-proof material at the fabric shop, I almost bought some to use because it was a nice silver colour and would look good as a liner, but it was pricey, Im quilting the liner myself from scratch. Would make complete sense like I said, flying a Giant gas tank.

I got most of my materials together to start the project, excepting the pattern and *exact* Materials. Hard to match the Cover-all type Cotton under the brim and outside the flap. rg.jpg

Theres me kicking around tonight diggin up my flight suit (that suit came from the local thirft for a whopping 4 dollars!!!)

got the Bias tape for the seams, looks close enough. The leather is Just what I have lying around, mostly old leather pants..not goat, not going to match when it wears but will pass your average laymans inspection.

Totally new at this but here goes nothing.

What I want to know is...who standardized the squadron insignias and how did the colour schemes get picked.

Its a neat evolution out from WWII type flying gear worn..to see what changes and what stays the same.

Like, how did these standard looking work hats find their way up in the sky, with the air crews.

its all very interesting history.

Last edited:

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
Dumpster Diver... getting to work on these aircraft and be around them was amazing... huge planes (at least at that time...)

c-124.jpg

I worked on C-124's... they used four Pratt-Whitney 4360s... so much power... so much thrust...

4360.jpg

Four rows of cylinders... seven banks...

The squadron (whose cap you have) flew KC-97s...

kc97.jpg

I remember being in technical school at Sheppard AFB... and we watched some footage of a KC-97 refueling a B-52... the commentator said that the KC-97 was full throttle while the B-52 was almost at stall speed... amazing.

I noticed after I posted this photo that this a/c has jet engines at the end of each wing...

It was a great deal of fun... until we cross-trained and switched to C-130s...

~shoes~

PS:... now I want a baseball cap with my squadron number on it.. HAH!!!

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
going to produce some red Vinyl ones too, how I get my hands on those hat pins though!!! oh man!!!

hey, I will make you one of these if you want me to, when I get things figured out, give me time to source material.

Tell me what you want and I will see what I can do for you.

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Apologies, one last thing, all this being said;

The Green-gold looking liner is like wet tissue around the edge inside along the brim*of this particular hat, washing it by hand even was enough to pull it apart a little before I could tell...it *WILL* immediately fray apart like stringy fiber wisps like edges and cuts on your nomex type flight Jackets if I wear it..my question is- Shall I stitch (tack more like) a small peice of Trim to patch it to preserve it...or leave it and not wear it. *Question mark*

and second;

What is the material exactly, does anyone know, or whats close to it, or what would you guys want to match it with, please and thanks.

(personally I want to patch it but It wont be a solid match, I Just know I will want to Rock, Er..that is... profusely *wear* this hat, I will probly make a new liner to slip inside it to wear with if I have to wear it)

This to me is a museum peice right here, I love this hat.

Its Just stuff, I know...but.. but.. this looks like it went on some Looooong winded Missions. Its BEEN THERE!

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Dumpster Diver[/COLORI remember being in technical school at Sheppard AFB... and we watched some footage of a KC-97 refueling a B-52... the commentator said that the KC-97 was full throttle while the B-52 was almost at stall speed... amazing.

I noticed after I posted this photo that this a/c has jet engines at the end of each wing...

It was a great deal of fun... until we cross-trained and switched to C-130s...

~shoes~

PS:... now I want a baseball cap with my squadron number on it.. HAH!!!

Yes, Exactly.

the newer planes dinosaured a lot of the early prop jobs in no time, further quickening,compounding and pionnering the modern day Aero-Evolution. Retro fits had to be made, fast.

These Hats are a mark of a distinguished mid-century era.

something gets lost in translation along the way.

these hats to me are some kind of Flight Jacket missing link right now. Im determined to make some.

Its like copying a classic great work of art as an apprentice in some religeous monestary to Reproduce this hat.

Last edited:

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
"...these hats to me are some kind of Flight Jacket missing link right now."

I would agree with this... great leather flight crew hats...with ear flaps... It's an amazing cap...

~shoes~

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Im well under way with some proto Type material and Ive gotten into a few old sewing machines, I have to 50s era ELNA machines, and a Spartan, and a REALY nice Hawkins one I got today At the local thrift for 15 bucks, guess it was for my good reward of KARMA for giving away a machine To a person who wanted it the day before, coicedentally She saw the machine and Uses them and didnt have the cash, I came into the thriftstore later and bought the sewing machine she saw. The next morning we were in the basement of the wool shop my mom works at in town, and Just started talking and she was upset about missing that machine, and I said, oh you mean THIS machine (pulled back the magic curtain and VOILA!)

she was, welll...you can imagine how excited and grateful she was I Just said, Here you can have it!

So, my pattern is copied close as I can get it, and Ive got the closest materials I can get locally from the fabric shop, and some leather from Pants and crap from the thrifts.

Ready to go, were like, on our way! tis been full time work all week for me, with overtime.

I also fixed an Antique sock machine for a woman who is going to let me knit some first world war socks on it for you!

:D

Shes got an original Skein of that puke orangey green wool!!!!

Its absolutely worth putting pics and a thread up soon for you too.

ok well, long day so far and this will take me a months to get right with the squadron hat...

I think that is the correct name for them;

SQUADRON HATS.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Here is the copy I made, Thank you for being patient, This is the proto copy only!!!

I did not Quilt the lining, as I am completely new to using a sewing machine, My old Elna machine did not want to run the last stitch around the hat, I have to use a friends industrial machine to finish them, I attatched the brim to the liner first then did the seam by hand to put it together inside, it was tricky beezneess.

I used a old pair of Leather pants, and the liner is some silky satinish Jacket liner, was not right exactly but still passable on short notice.

Definelty turned out I think for my very first ever project, Im very proud of myself for Just going for it.

2335.jpg 23tttg.jpg 1235647.jpg 123456.jpg

Anyway, The menace in my eye is the important thing.

I have bought a Red vinyl one too, I will post that in another thread when I have time, but Im busy with my project...

This would be too expensive to make, unless you Really want one.

I think It would cost me the same amount of work by myself as Eastman Leather would charge for a B-2 replica.

By the time I press the 96 and get the Squadron patches made up too.

I want a plain one to be under $100 Dollars hopefully....but Were looking between 135-150 for one right now, if I had to make it from scratch all by myself for you on demand.

but thats the horrid economics of modern DIY society.

Labour of LOVE here.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
The Idea is to make as many *one of a kind* clones of as many individual hats as humanly possible.

my next order of Business if any is to find a reliable place that will make me on Demand squadron patches copied from Originals.

If its like any Job Ive ever run, the setup is what always costs you most the first time. better to do a Large as possible Run of these.

Again, I offer my Services to all and any who have a hat like this they would like a decent *wearable* copy made.

If you own a *one of a kind* hat like this I recommend getting copies done, Just like my Rare Cassettes, I transfer them or make backup protection copies of them, same deal here.

My favourite thing about these hats is their *individuality*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner