Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1956 USMC 3rd Marines / 3rd Tank Battalion Tour Jacket / Camp Fuji

Picked up at the swap meet yesterday for 5 bucks and offer 250- before I could stuff it in my bag. Pretty fragile but makes a good looker. It's reversible silk one side velvet the other.

Attachments

• usmc1.jpg
    usmc1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 201
  • usmc2.jpg
    usmc2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 302
  • usmc3.jpg
    usmc3.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 201
  • usmc4.jpg
    usmc4.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 196

Deacon211

One Too Many
Whew! That is one pink jacket! Great vintage find though. When I was down in Iwakuni and the dollar was weak, most of these type craftsmen had moved on to greener pastures. But there were a few left and those guys could sew faster than I could write...and with better penmanship!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whew! That is one pink jacket! Great vintage find though. When I was down in Iwakuni and the dollar was weak, most of these type craftsmen had moved on to greener pastures. But there were a few left and those guys could sew faster than I could write...and with better penmanship!

it's a strong purple actually. Just got another offer for 500-

ronbo

Familiar Face
As a Former Active Duty Marine 82 to 86 I am jealous. That is Great tour jacket. I am pretty sure it was meant to be maroon in color as that is a Marine color. Just faded. Enjoy that piece of history Sir.

Deacon211

One Too Many
As a Former Active Duty Marine 82 to 86 I am jealous. That is Great tour jacket. I am pretty sure it was meant to be maroon in color as that is a Marine color. Just faded. Enjoy that piece of history Sir.

You know, that's a pretty good call. That jacket would look spectacular in maroon and black.

When we got stuff from the local merchants in WestPac, it was often oddly colored or with a bit of artistic flair that clashed with our Western sensibilities. It was just a cultural thing and the source of some good humor like how VMA-211's lion came to look like a dingo by the seventies or how the "Griffons" came to be known as the "Pukin' Dogs" from the appearance of their patch.

I first concluded that the jacket was supposed to be pink from its outset. But, if it had been Marine Red, that would make a lot of sense and would have looked much better. Time and tide aside, it remains a great piece of history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot